Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29,538 Posts
Its not that the muzzle climbs before bullet leaves...thats not it. The lighter loads go slower. The sight plane is flat. Each bullet is arcing. Most likely they are both still arcing upward above bore line to target. The slower one has more time before impact to arc up. The faster one would likely hit higher as well if given same flight time before impact. Shorter time lower impact with the faster traveler.
Wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

A bullet fired out of a barrel parallel with the ground will never “arc up”...it will only drop.

Recoil does, in fact, play a part in where the bullet impacts.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Wrong.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

A bullet fired out of a barrel parallel with the ground will never “arc up”...it will only drop.

Recoil does, in fact, play a part in where the bullet impacts.
Wrong wrong back at ye....no one ever said the barrel was parralel. It isnt if you plan on hitting anything beyond point blank, fool.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Reread my post and possible error is where i said " bore line" should read "sight line" to be more specifically correct. Either way i dont buy that its from recoil.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ever do a ladder test oover chrono for rifle rounds to find accuracy nodes on barrel harmonics? I have. It demonstrates clearly, slower prints higher...arc per fps is why. Not recoil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Its not that the muzzle climbs before bullet leaves...thats not it. The lighter loads go slower. The sight plane is flat. Each bullet is arcing. Most likely they are both still arcing upward above bore line to target. The slower one has more time before impact to arc up. The faster one would likely hit higher as well if given same flight time before impact. Shorter time lower impact with the faster traveler.
Yes. That is the answer to the question of faster or slower ballistics. Recoil alone typically has no effect on bullet impact, because the bullet leaves the barrel before recoil can have any effect. The shooter’s anticipation of recoil can have effect, but I’ve been at this for nearly 40 years, and, while I’m every bit a human, I just don’t think recoil plays into it.

I expect 1200-1250 FPS out of this load, so it’s moving right along. I would be exceptionally disappointed if that was the cause, because I bought a 10mm for a reason. If I wanted 40 S&W ballistics, I would have bought one. My original intention was to get back into handgun hunting for coyotes, and I was originally looking at .44 magnum guns before being swayed to this 10mm.

It would be nice if the rear sight was adjustable. Will Springfield sell me one for aftermarket install, do you all think?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yes. That is the answer to the question of faster or slower ballistics. Recoil alone typically has no effect on bullet impact, because the bullet leaves the barrel before recoil can have any effect. The shooter’s anticipation of recoil can have effect, but I’ve been at this for nearly 40 years, and, while I’m every bit a human, I just don’t think recoil plays into it.

I expect 1200-1250 FPS out of this load, so it’s moving right along. I would be exceptionally disappointed if that was the cause, because I bought a 10mm for a reason. If I wanted 40 S&W ballistics, I would have bought one. My original intention was to get back into handgun hunting for coyotes, and I was originally looking at .44 magnum guns before being swayed to this 10mm.

It would be nice if the rear sight was adjustable. Will Springfield sell me one for aftermarket install, do you all think?
You may find that the chosen load hits right to poa/poi if you identify the correct distance of target? Anyhow id assume adjustables can be had from somebody.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think Dawson makes a set that will fit. The one that the the 5.25 uses would require machining of the slide.
Well, waddya know! Dawson does make a set for the XD-M! For a little over $100, I could fit a set to my pistol.

What do you guys think? While I appreciate the snag free characteristics of fixed sights on my carry guns, this one was purchased explicitly for outdoor/range/hunting tasks. Do you guys think adjustable sights on this pistol would be workable?

How about Dawson Precision? Are they quality manufacturers? Does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have just installed the front sights only on my MKIV’s and they fit perfectly. They also come with green & red inserts. Quite a few of the USPSA guys use them too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
First, as has been mentioned, shoot some other loads. This is important.
SA has replaced sights for free on a lot of 1911s that came with 6 o'clock sight picture when the owner wanted POA-POI.
On my TRP they went through the gun, regulated the sights to POA-POI and covered shipping.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Well, waddya know! Dawson does make a set for the XD-M! For a little over $100, I could fit a set to my pistol.

What do you guys think? While I appreciate the snag free characteristics of fixed sights on my carry guns, this one was purchased explicitly for outdoor/range/hunting tasks. Do you guys think adjustable sights on this pistol would be workable?

How about Dawson Precision? Are they quality manufacturers? Does anyone have any experience with them?
Dawson Precision is good-to-go. They're well-known for sights.

I've used Dawsons on my XDms for just over 8 years -including my two primary training guns /range-beaters- and they've held up without any issues. No movement, no damage, despite a lot of rather rough manipulations.

The following pix were from the summer of 2012, at approx. 30K rounds on the gun and probably close to 5K on those sights. You can see the surface finish having rubbed off of the rear bodies (fixed Chargers) from repeated robust manipulations in which I used them as the leverage point:

Dirty 4.5 Costa Ludus  2012 - right.jpg

Dirty 4.5 Costa Ludus 2012 - top.jpg

The ones on my 3.8 Compact show similar wear patterns, but also carry some (rather stubborn) paint transfer from a wooden barricade on which I used as a manipulation aid at a class in 2017.

I actually haven't even replaced the fiber in either of their front posts, and they're still just fine.

Some of their products may surface-rust faster than others (that discoloration on the front post in my pictures is *_NOT_* rust, that's dirt/dust from that particular 6-day class), and may thus require a bit of maintenance/prep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Dawson Precision is good-to-go. They're well-known for sights.

I've used Dawsons on my XDms for just over 8 years -including my two primary training guns /range-beaters- and they've held up without any issues. No movement, no damage, despite a lot of rather rough manipulations.

The following pix were from the summer of 2012, at approx. 30K rounds on the gun and probably close to 5K on those sights. You can see the surface finish having rubbed off of the rear bodies (fixed Chargers) from repeated robust manipulations in which I used them as the leverage point:

View attachment 781921

View attachment 781923

The ones on my 3.8 Compact show similar wear patterns, but also carry some (rather stubborn) paint transfer from a wooden barricade on which I used as a manipulation aid at a class in 2017.

I actually haven't even replaced the fiber in either of their front posts, and they're still just fine.

Some of their products may surface-rust faster than others (that discoloration on the front post in my pictures is *_NOT_* rust, that's dirt/dust from that particular 6-day class), and may thus require a bit of maintenance/prep.
Now that’s good news to me.

At least now I know that it’s my reloads in fact causing the issue, I can correct it with the addition of some more reasonable sights. I’m a little surprised Springfield doesn’t at least toss it out as an option.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I think that SA - like many larger manufacturers - simply won't suggest anything aftermarket due to liability concerns.

In terms of the sights, note that their website has a "Sight Calculator." Alternatively, email/call them and tell them of your specific predicament to discuss possible choices. They're very responsive: even if something is back-ordered, it's usually spun up right-away, and if they have any production issues (like waiting for paint to dry) that delays anticipated fulfillment by even a single day, they'll contact you to let you know.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Now that’s good news to me.

At least now I know that it’s my reloads in fact causing the issue, I can correct it with the addition of some more reasonable sights. I’m a little surprised Springfield doesn’t at least toss it out as an option.
Maybe I missed it. Have you contacted SA?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Maybe I missed it. Have you contacted SA?
No, not yet. I still want to wring out a box of my reloads, and a full bag of factory loaded ammo before I call them. If I can resolve the differences in accuracy between the two, I might just tackle this on my own.

·
Registered
187 Posts
OK. I feel I may not have been clear with my earlier post where I mentioned SA will, or did, reregulate 1911 sights for free and, I assume, might for XDs too.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Maybe slightly off topic, but has anyone here ever milled/dremeled a flat on the frontside face of the slanty factory rear sight of an xdm? I hate how it doesnt like to catch on a belt, boot, or barricades for one hand racking drills and wonder why buy new if can easily mod?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts