Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my xd is pissing me off I bought it used got a good deal $350.00. I had night sights installed bought 2 extra mags all together it cost me $450.00. I get it home and the thing will not make it through one mag with out FTF,FTE,FTL,. 2 weeks later it is starting to rust so i send it to CCR to get refinished. got it back about 1 month latter it worked a little better but not much. so i think the recoil spring is bad so i go out and buy a lasermax for it same thing FTF,FTE,FTL. so i decide to call Springfield and see what they say they cant help me because someone else refinished the gun and it voided the warranty.

now i got about $850.00 in this pos

and cant get it to work

just thought I would blow off some steam

Is there a Springfield armory gunsmith on here that I can send the gun to any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
First off, remove the lasermax gadget and put in a new factory recoil spring/guiderod assembly. See if that changes anything. Next thing would be trying different magazines. Are the mags you using made by Springfield? A bunch of failure issues can be pinpointed to a bad mag..ie spring is worn, follower is damaged.. Make sure the extractor and all areas are free of gunk. Hell make sure the gun is spotless. Start with the small stuff first.

edited..

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
021411 said:
First off, remove the lasermax gadget and put in a new factory recoil spring/guiderod assembly. See if that changes anything. Next thing would be trying different magazines. Are the mags you using made by Springfield? Make sure the extractor and all areas are free of gunk. Hell make sure the gun is spotless. Start with the small stuff first.
I would suggest getting Don's Guide Rod instead. People replace the factory ones with Don's because it's just... BETTER.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
021411 said:
Next thing would be trying different magazines.
I'd start with that first

I used to get constant FTF with wadcutter and hp ammo. I opened the feed lips of my magazines very slightly so that the bullet would seat about 1 or 2 mm higher. Now it feeds like buttah.

On that note, what type(s) of ammo is giving you problems.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
?9?
?40?
what we dealing with here?

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
It does sound like a mag issue. That said, send it to Canyon Creek, Rich will fix it. Sure it will cost you a little money, but at least it will work. Or, you can sell it on this forum. I am sure someone will take it off of your hands.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is a bi-tone 40 4''

i tried 3 new mags dont think it is a mag problem

if it dont work with the oem recoil spring or the lasermax i dont think it is the recoil spring

if i send it to Canyon Creek about how long will it take does he have all the parts if needed. and does any one have a web address for Canyon Creek

i would love to sell it so i can get another one but i cant sell it the way it is acting up dont want to put anyone through the mess i put up with

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
morbidking said:
if i send it to Canyon Creek about how long will it take does he have all the parts if needed. and does any one have a web address for Canyon Creek
www.canyon-creek.com

Usual lead-time is 7 to 10 days, but the holidays are coming. Best to give Rich a call to see if he can help you. Rich is the XD wizard.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
morbidking said:
it is a bi-tone 40 4''

i tried 3 new mags dont think it is a mag problem

if it dont work with the oem recoil spring or the lasermax i dont think it is the recoil spring

i would love to sell it so i can get another one but i cant sell it the way it is acting up dont want to put anyone through the mess i put up with
Trust me, it WILL sell to someone on the forum for the right price. Feed and extraction issues are minor problems once you pinpoint it. I agree, I would start with a THOUROUGH cleaning and a new recoild assembly and then go from there.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
think i found out what was wrong. i took every pin out i could find took every part out. and their was a pin missing. it is the pin that is on the top of the slide. i dont know if this would cause the problems i am having or not. but i would like to find the right pin it see if this is the problem.

any one know where i can find a pin that would fit i looked but cant find one.

thanks for all your help

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
the roll pin... you can get one at the hardware store. Their are some threads around here on that topic.. or you can just buy one from AJames or OldSchool... Easy fix..

I doubt it is missing, maybe just broken.. I wouldn't think the gun would function at all with that missing... They do work thmselves out though on some...

Good luck, and if it doesn't work.. I will buy it. I might have to skip a mortgage payment.. but I never liked this damn house that much anyway!!

Raymond

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Thats bullshoot it does not matter if you had it refinished :evil: it has a lifetime warrety.But pack up the mags and the gun send it to Canyon creek I gurentee Rich will fix you right up 8)
He does excellent trigger jobs too he has worked on all three of my Xd's

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I will confirm that the gun will fire with the roll pin crushed into two seperate pieces. That said, I don't doubt it'd also fire without the pin, how reliably though I do not know. With the pin crushed, 2 or 3 shots, your pin will back out far enough so that you cannot even see the top blade of your front sight.

First off, let's actually figure out what its doing, you mentioned first, "FTF, FTE, FTL", so what is it doing, not ejecting the casing out of the barrel, rounds nose-diving into the feed ramp, empty casing getting stuck between the barrel and slide cuts while the slide is closing (effectively "crushing the brass).

FTF, FTE, and FTL (load?) are quite a wide array of descriptions for us to accruately diagnose what the heck is going on.

If you don't want to fool with it, ship it to Rich or sell it here, I know someone would buy it.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have emailed Springfield based on the issue that they will not honor any warranty because of the refinishing. This concerns me because my gun is refinished and my next XD will be too (unless the warranty gets voided, then I probably wont have another XD).

Here is my letter, I will post a response as soon as I get it...

Hi,

I am the owner of an XD and was curious about something I read. As you are aware we often talk on xdtalk.com about warranty work, mainly with the finish. It is no secret within the shooting world that the XD has a flawed finish. Rust and other types of premature finish failure with respect to the XD are commonplace on sites like AR15.com and xdtalk.com (just to name a few).

My concern is that I read a post from an individual who claims to have failure to feed and failure to eject problems with this gun. It was posted that he contacted Springfield and was told that no warranty work could be performed because someone other than Springfield had refinished the firearm. Is this true? Would Springfield sell a firearm (knowing that there is a substantially higher number of cases that involve a failed finish on this gun than others) and then deny the owner the warranty because it was refinished by someone other than themselves?

This concerns me because I have an XD that has been refinished with Duracoat. Does this mean that my warranty is void? I am also concerned because when I buy my next XD I will have it refinished in Duracoat soon after.

I like the XD allot, but to spend $450 to $500 on a gun that needs a better finish ($50) is bad enough, to spend all of that money and then have the warranty voided would make it more sensible to spend $500-$575 on a Glock, which has one of the best finished on the market and a comparable warranty.

I do not wish to argue the point, I simply feel that XD owners should be on the same page with Springfield. We love the guns and love putting different sights and finishes on them, but if what one individual has said is true, we need to know for future purchases.

Thanks,

--
Greg White

·
Registered
223 Posts
You think thats bad about the warranty being void because of the finish, I called Springfield for some question about aftermarket sights. After the lady finished answering my question, she also added that if anybody other than Springfield installs my sights, my warranty will be void. WTF??? Whats that about, WTF does my sights have anything to do with voiding the warranty. Functionally, you really cant F up a gun by changing sights. Sounds like Springfield is not wanting to warranty their guns, they are looking for any small excuse to void your warranty. Makes me angry. :evil:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got most of it worked out the roll pin must have been missing since i bought it (used gun)

I put about 3000 rounds out of it with no pin as a result the Firing Pin Spring Guide broke and the Firing Pin Status Indicator is bent bad.

Called Springfield today talked to a different lady (funny how different people give different answers) she told me that it is under warranty just not the finish any more they are sending me the parts I need I will let everyone know how every thing works out when I get the parts I need

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
223 Posts
thats good to hear that they will cover it. So its just the part that you modified that isnt covered. I wish all the reps had the same answer, it can be frustrating with different answers from every person you talk to. Hopefully i never need to use the warranty anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts