Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And she is going to pay for half! I'm probally going to order a taurus PT1911AL. I was thinking of a colt rail gun but I am going to start cheaper and see where it goes from there.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Make sure you get the one you want because you don't know when this may or may not come around again. ;)

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Isn't it funny how the "wife" will make most of these command decisions.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
citadel IMO is the way to go in that price range.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I am very happy with my Rock Island Armory 1911. And they are very reasonably priced, you can get a GI Model from BudsGunShop for less than $400.00.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
what a great wife - nice taste too 'cause she is encouraging you for 1911.
If you are asking for suggestions: Ruger SR1911, 100% made in USA, still lovin' mine at 3 months and 2 days

·
Registered
42 Posts
Please do your research before you shell out any cash on a Taurus. I've heard their 1911 is highly suspect. I believe the word "garbage" came up a time or two. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
whats not apparent from this thread is arsmcor has multiple lines their low budget gun is ria gi, don't get itunless you want the simplest 1911 and know how to avoid hammer bite just don't get it. I have one, with 400 dollars in mods. Granted my gun outshoots any gun under 1300 bucks.

for another 60 you can get an ria tac, basically what I have with a replaced by a top end gunsmith the firng control group giving it a perfect trigger (costs about 160 including parts btw) good trigger for a store bought gun, not real good compared to 1911s

for another 60 you can get a good finish, decent sights, and a decent trigger in the armscor citadel. look on Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns for Sale at GunBroker.com for pricing its 380 for the gi, 440 for the ria tac, and 480 or less for the citadel. Definitely worth the extra money. UPDATE stuffs cheaper 345 for the gi, 435 for the tac and 450 for the citadel, unless you hate front serrations get the citadel

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Def the tac version.
I wouldn't go Taurus but that just be me.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
If you want a good Rock Island get the STI Spartan; RIA frame and slide plus STI internals. I wouldn't be afraid of the Taurus. Mine has been a good shooter since day 1 and I shoot IDPA with guys who have .45 and 9mm Taurus 1911's and no problems there.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I have heard Taurus is in the low end of gun makers...is this true?
Iv'e had 2, hated them both. Bought the second one 20 years removed from the first. Will NEVER own another. Some people have 'em, love 'em, and have had no trouble. But I'm from the school of you really do "get what ya pay for".

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
And she is going to pay for half! I'm probally going to order a taurus PT1911AL. I was thinking of a colt rail gun but I am going to start cheaper and see where it goes from there.
Congrats on getting the Ok. I just got the green light to buy TWO!! One once I sell the XD9sc and the other at tax time. She even OKed me ordering a Milt Sparks VMII for the one that, and I quote, "Wont blow someone up if I shoot them at close range" :twisted: Im going to order my first, a Kimber Ultra Carry II in .45, around the end of this month/beginning of next month.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I bought a PT 1911 awhile back because it was the only thing available in my area in my price range. It feeds everything I put in it. I put on Hogue wrap-arounds that improved the accuracy and fun-to-shoot factor.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Nice congrats! And you didn't even have to buy her a pair of shoes to get the go ahead!

·
Registered
937 Posts
There are a lot better values in the 1911 market than a Taurus IMO... I see new Kimber Custom II's for $650.00 all the time and this new ruger variant is supposed to be close to 7 bills too from what I hear. I had a PT1911 and I sold it in a week because it fit my hand soo poorly.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I thought long and hard on which one to get, I looked at the RIA 2011 Tactical, a few colts. I am really good friends with my dealer, he has nothing but problems ouf Kimber, everyone he has sold has came back to him with an irate customer. Yes The RIA mil is less than 400 but GI sights and they are kinda ugly. My dealer has not had one complaint out any taurus 1911 he has sold. I'm trusting him on this one, seeing as how i was offering up another 400 for a colt and he said to go ahead with taurus. I'll give ya guys a range report when she comes in this week. Thanks for all the replies!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts