Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my very forst pistol yesterday. I got the XD-9, Tactical. I recently shot the Glock 19, CZ sp-01 and the Beretta px4. Loved 'em all, but never shot the XD-9. I kinda wanted to look at the Rugers before I made my choice, but no where to be seen in any of my local shops. Couldn't even find one to rent. Now the bad thing, I have an eleven day waiting period :cry:

There was a sale going on for the XD-9 so I pulled the trigger. Low and behold, there was a brand new Ruger SR9 sitting in the cabinet. Very nice gun, but put on the horse blinders and bought the gun I intended to buy. This way, I wouldn't have buyer's remorse.

I've done a ton of research and came to the conclusion this is probably one of the best deals out there. I wanted to buy a 9mm for the price of the ammo and being a first gun. I also like the fact with all the goodies it came with and the two extra mail in magazines.

Now to the fun part:

Do I need to clean the gun before I shoot it?

What is the largest ammo that the gun can handle?

I plan on keeeping it stock, but are there any goodies I could add to it? Hogue grips, aftermarket barrel...etc?

How does the recoil compare to the guns mentioned above? I was looking for something with a little more "pop" to it compared to say the CZ?

Any thing else I need to know?

Thanks guys and gals and look forward becoming part of this forum. As soon as a receive the gun I will have a range report.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Do I need to clean the gun before I shoot it?
According to SA, the XD is ready to rock, right out of the box.

What is the largest ammo that the gun can handle?
9mm :roll:

Seriously though, pretty much anything in 9mm.

I plan on keeeping it stock, but are there any goodies I could add to it? Hogue grips, aftermarket barrel...etc?
I like my XD's as nature intended, many people like to customize the trigger though. A set of night sights might be usefull if it's a SD gun.

How does the recoil compare to the guns mentioned above? I was looking for something with a little more "pop" to it compared to say the CZ?
Very nice recoil characteristics on the Tactical, re-acquisition is very fast.

Any thing else I need to know?
Buy lots of ammo. WWB or Blazer from WallyWorld is fine.
Shot it all you can.
Get some handgun training.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I always reccomend cleaning the barrel before shooting. Poosibly upgrade to night sights. If you want a good, fairly priced holster Uncle Mikes kydex holsters are great. Blazer brass, or Winchester value packs for plinking. A good carry ammo. Any name brand hollow point. Corbon, Magtech, Federal, etc. Have fun, and congrats on the new gun.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I would also clean and lube it first . . . but at the very least, field-strip it to make sure there's nothing in the barrel and that it's operating properly.

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
CLean it...Shoot it...Clean it again...Carry it...and most importantly--Enjoy it! Congrats!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah man. Congrats! Just shoot the hell out of that thing. Don't worry about the other guns, this is your first (and a great choice at that) but it won't be your last. As far as modifications and what not, there are always cool things you can do to customize. But I suggest getting acquainted with your new pistol first, then you can get an idea of what you would like to modify. Grips, stippling, porting, sights whatever. Just be safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Good choice. Just so and shoot. Clean and re-oil later. Get used to its feel and accuracy out of the box before doing anything to it. That way, you have a good baseline by which to judge upgrades or mods.

I doubt you will be anything else but a happy xD owner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts