Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys I live in Northern IL and about 2 hours from Springfield Inc. I drove to Kansas yesterday and had a wonderful 12 hour drive ugggg. So I stopped in at Springfield to see about having night sights put on my new XDm 9mm. Well I got them and it was done in about 5 min! I guess they know how to do them because most people say that XD sights are hard as hell to take off and put on. They put on the factory rear and a Trijicon front (pics below). But my experience does not stop there! First off I was treated like a King and all of the people there are just awesome and very excited to see one of their customers stopping in. I asked if they had any XDm 9mm mags and I was told sure how many do you want. Well I said 20 which is how many I really want and they go ok let me check. Well they could not part with 20 of them but they asked if 10 would get me started and of course I took them and ran!!!!! I hope they get shipping them ASAP so I can get more, I really want around 40 of the 19 round mags for when they get banned.

So by this point I was on a high and felt like I won the lottery! Then while I was waiting for my new mags to be sent over from the warehouse two guys walked in and bought a couple of handguns. I did not know you could buy from the factory but when I heard the price I about fell out of my chair. You still have to do the paper work, do the waiting period in IL and be a resident of IL but this all works for me! So I asked how much a M1A Socom II with an Urban Camo stock would be and I could not believe the price! I ordered one right then and there and was told its about a 3 month wait but they would put a priority rush on it since I came in and am an obvious Springfield fan. I did feel bad though the back of my truck sitting out front has HK licenese plates and a sticker on the back window hehe I promissed them I would update it with a nice Springfield sticker.

I took some pics of Springfield as you will see below. It is not what you would expect but it is all about manufacturing not flashy office space. You feel a small town and family type atmosphere with everyone at Springfield and even the town they are in. I have visited Kolar Arms in WI who makes amazing shot guns for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays and they where just like Springfield. I could not help but think about how folks like this are what built America. They have 2 buildings one of which is the office and manufacturing plant and a second building in another part of town that has inventory and does the shipping (where my mags had to come from, but they sent someone to go get them). They also have a place called the "farm". This is where they do all of their R&D and such on new weapons. I would do anything for a trip to the "farm". From the history of Springfield I think the farm is where it all started for the modern day Springfield Inc that we know today. From what I was told the owner bought the rights to the name, some parts and him and his kids started putting guns together in their barn. What an awesome story! The company I work for started in a barn in PA and now we have 2.6 million square feet of manufacturing on one site just a mile down the road from where it all started. It's an awesome story and you can tell that everyone working there is proud to be there!

So all in all my day was made a lot better by the excitment of getting mags, a deal on the new rifle and getting to meet some of the awesome folks at Springfield. My hat goes off to those folks, they really do care about their customers and love to see them happy.

Hope you all enjoyed this post, sorry the pics suck I only had my cell phone on me.

PS I did ask about an XDm in 45acp and I was told she had no idea if they are doing one or not. I do believe she was being honest, it seems that new projects are on a need to know only. I told her if they do please use the XD 45 mags! Time will tell and shot is only a short time away!

Dave

My Mags:

One thing I forgot to tell you is they offered to do an action job and make the barrel in my XDm 9mm even better if I had an hour to wait. It was really tempting but I still had 10 more hours to drive but I told them I would bring it out when I pick up my new M1A and they can do it then. I will probably buy an XDm OD 9mm from them and have them work it over as well all at the same time.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I forgot to tell you is they offered to do an action job and make the barrel in my XDm 9mm even better if I had an hour to wait. It was really tempting but I still had 10 more hours to drive but I told them I would bring it out when I pick up my new M1A and they can do it then. I will probably buy an XDm OD 9mm from them and have them work it over as well all at the same time.

Dave

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Wow, NICE. :)

The buildings are not what I expected.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy crap, will they sell to an IN resident? Transfer and all?
I do not know. You would have to call them and ask them but I would suspect they would refer you to a local dealer. In the part of the state they are in there probably is not any dealers since the town they are in is only about 5k people. Looked like a lot of their employees live in the quad cities which is IA.

The only way it makes sense making 2 trips since there is a waiting period is because I have customers in the Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids IA and Des Monies. I will just stop on my way and do my paper work, spend a few days seeing customers and stop on my way home.

I will not tell you the price but I will say that it was a HUGE amount on a rifle like that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great write up, it makes me feel good to know that the "home base" is filled with friendly caring people. It also makes me jealous that you live in the same state and can go directly to the source for your SA needs.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
WOW.....I travel in that area all the time and I have never been there. I am definitely stopping by in January.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow I didn't realize where their plant was either. It's only 290 miles from my house and to get there I would go up through Hanibal. Sounds like a nice weekend motorcycle ride is coming up this spring.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hmm only 9 hours from here bike trip time

This summer....start saving the cash

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
That is all good to hear. Be sure and post up some pics of that Socom when you get it!

·
Registered
395 Posts
So stupid question but I am assuiming that the town in question is Geneseo, Il.?

·
Registered
463 Posts
very cool can't wait to see pics of the new gun when you get it. wish I lived close enough to go to the factory. if you don't mine saying how much did the sight job cost?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts