Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All apologies to Sir Mix-A-Lot.

I have come to the realization that the more I play with striker fired pistols...the more I don't care for them (with the obvious exception of the P7...but thats not the typical striker, either).

I came to this realization when I played with a VP9 this weekend. Didn't put rounds downrange, but had several good dry fires...and realized that if that trigger is what's considered a good one for a striker...it's just not for me.

I also played with a PPQ and a 320; I liked the PPQ's, but...I think I'd prefer the Sig; it was a bit heavier, but the metal trigger didn't have that little bit of spongy flex that plastic triggers have. Still, though...neither was as good as a decent DA/SA Sig, or even Beretta...and compared to a 1911? Fuhgeddabowdit!

I'll probably keep my M&P, but...beyond getting a VP70 somewhere down the line, I think I'm done with the striker action.

Anybody else coming to this conclusion?

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
The more I play with my CMC trigger in my AR and the stock CZ trigger in the wife's bolt gun, the more I don't want to shoot my pistols period.

Maybe one high end gun would solve this.

·
Registered
823 Posts
When I shoot my recently acquired S&W wheel guns I get what you're saying. But, just makes me want to get better with the striker pistols.

Have a vet visit this a.m. This p.m. I'll install PRP Ultimate trigger kit in my Competition 5.25. Along with stainless pins. That's all for now. We'll see how I like it.

At 80 yards the other day I hit 3 water filled gallon milk jugs in a row. Then missed 3 in a row! Grrrr. Hope the improved trigger helps.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I'm not rushing to divest myself of striker.-fired pistols...it took 20+ yrs to get past my prejudice against them as 2nd rate also-rans. Guns like Davis, Lorcin, Raven, and Phoenix Arms (not to mention the Sigma) are what gave me that initial impression and a plastic frame was a total non-starter for me. I finally got on board last year with my XDm and later a G19, but I still prefer the feel and sound(s) of an all metal, hammer fired piece with a good DA/DA trigger. You said out loud what I've been thinkin' for a while.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My handgunning started with polymer striker fired pistols so I am pretty accustomed to them at this point.

I will admit though that my brother P226 Elite trigger is way mo betta than my XD's or Glocks but the rest of the gun kind of turns me off. I'm just to used to simplicity of striker fired guns.

I definitely want a good 1911 at some point because it's legendary and everyone should have one but it will end up being a safe queen.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know what the hammer has to do with anything...
Trigger, pure and simple.

It's in the nature of striker fired pistols to have a spongy, soft trigger. Sure, you can improve them...but at the end of the day, a good pistol with a hammer will trump it.

At least, in my experience.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
All apologies to Sir Mix-A-Lot.

I have come to the realization that the more I play with striker fired pistols...the more I don't care for them (with the obvious exception of the P7...but thats not the typical striker, either).

I came to this realization when I played with a VP9 this weekend. Didn't put rounds downrange, but had several good dry fires...and realized that if that trigger is what's considered a good one for a striker...it's just not for me.

I also played with a PPQ and a 320; I liked the PPQ's, but...I think I'd prefer the Sig; it was a bit heavier, but the metal trigger didn't have that little bit of spongy flex that plastic triggers have. Still, though...neither was as good as a decent DA/SA Sig, or even Beretta...and compared to a 1911? Fuhgeddabowdit!

I'll probably keep my M&P, but...beyond getting a VP70 somewhere down the line, I think I'm done with the striker action.

Anybody else coming to this conclusion?
I'll hold on to any striker fired pistols ya got for a few years, ya know just in case.....feel free to ship them on down ;)

·
Administrator
16,919 Posts
I came to that conclusion after getting my first DA/SA HK. For my use, the proper tool for the job, is SA/DA. And after all, all "good" strikers are just trying to get to a good SA. 1911s are great, but I don't like safeties. But ya, a sweet SA, brilliant. HK's are it for me just for the ambi, but I would be down for any quality hammers out.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I've been there buddy.

I still carry an XDs, and up until recently I was carrying a G30s, but those were my only striker guns (and have since sold the Glock and am moving the Sphinx into my "large" carry role). I have 2 striker fired Kahr's I carry now and for their role they are excellent guns, so for self defense I get the striker advantage. But even a worked on striker just isn't the kind of trigger you get with a good SA/DA or SA only gun. So for range fun I've pretty much decided no more strikers for me.

I had planned on the VP9, and since you mentioned the 320 I've actually thought of getting one of those as well and I like their trigger. I've also thought of a G34 and really working it over. But I've realized any of those guns are guns I will sell in the near future as at the end of the day I'll get bored with it and go back to shooting what I really enjoy - - - P series Sig's, 1911's, CZ's, and revolvers with the occasional HK hammer fired tossed in.

I still may get the VP9 or the 320, with the prices dropping I can get one cheap enough. But I won't carry it over the Sphinx, I won't replace my nightstand gun over the Sig 226/MK25, and when it comes to range time how often will I shoot it when I can take a CZ, an X5, or a 1911? That's the dillema.

If I had to own 3 guns or something probably they'd all be striker fired guns but since I'm lucky enough to own what I want my fun guns are hammer fired. I have a buddy who's going to buy his first carry gun and he wants a striker fired and I agree with him, his contenders being a Ruger SR9c, a G19, The Sig 320 compact, and an XDs. All striker fired all excellent guns for a guy who's not going to own a bunch of guns, but not for me.

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I have also come to this conclusion. I've tried to like the striker and the VP9 is not so bad but I'll take the hammer any day. Speaking of hammers, the Sphinx SDP trigger is incredible.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Trigger, pure and simple.

It's in the nature of striker fired pistols to have a spongy, soft trigger. Sure, you can improve them...but at the end of the day, a good pistol with a hammer will trump it.

At least, in my experience.
I have a FNX-45 (hammer fired) that would make me agree with you. But then I pull out that LCP 380 I have... hammer fired... but the trigger is absolutely horrible! In fact I give that to people who ask about what bad triggers feel like. They understand after the first shot. It's long, heavy and your never sure when it will break.

So my view is, yes, some hammer fired guns are above and beyond any striker-fired. But there are also a few that are not. I'm not ready to throw out my strikers yet.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a FNX-45 (hammer fired) that would make me agree with you. But then I pull out that LCP 380 I have... hammer fired... but the trigger is absolutely horrible! In fact I give that to people who ask about what bad triggers feel like. They understand after the first shot. It's long, heavy and your never sure when it will break.

So my view is, yes, some hammer fired guns are above and beyond any striker-fired. But there are also a few that are not. I'm not ready to throw out my strikers yet.
Well...price point does make a difference (although, the P64 Radom I paid $169 for had a great single action trigger...).

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
SInce I've put some CGW parts in my P07 the whole trigger is better but I feel much more confident with the DA. I don't like carrying it cocked and locked so a big concern with carrying it was the first round being DA. This leads to why I prefer to carry striker fired pistols for cc but I wouldn't hesitate to carry my P07 and feel confident with it. I like how striker triggers are the same every time all the time but nice DA/SA triggers are really starting to grow on me. Its hard to beat a perfect, crisp SA trigger. There are plenty of nice striker pistols out there but I guess I don't blame Cuda for his decision.

The more I play with my CMC trigger in my AR and the stock CZ trigger in the wife's bolt gun, the more I don't want to shoot my pistols period.

Maybe one high end gun would solve this.
Since I've built my first AR I'm kinda in the same boat. I love my pistols but the AR is so much fun to shoot and all I want to buy is bulk ammo for it and shoot it more. Once I get a sling though I'll probably integrate transferring from the rifle to a sidearm in my training. That'll be fun.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been there buddy.

I still carry an XDs, and up until recently I was carrying a G30s, but those were my only striker guns (and have since sold the Glock and am moving the Sphinx into my "large" carry role). I have 2 striker fired Kahr's I carry now and for their role they are excellent guns, so for self defense I get the striker advantage. But even a worked on striker just isn't the kind of trigger you get with a good SA/DA or SA only gun. So for range fun I've pretty much decided no more strikers for me.

I had planned on the VP9, and since you mentioned the 320 I've actually thought of getting one of those as well and I like their trigger. I've also thought of a G34 and really working it over. But I've realized any of those guns are guns I will sell in the near future as at the end of the day I'll get bored with it and go back to shooting what I really enjoy - - - P series Sig's, 1911's, CZ's, and revolvers with the occasional HK hammer fired tossed in.

I still may get the VP9 or the 320, with the prices dropping I can get one cheap enough. But I won't carry it over the Sphinx, I won't replace my nightstand gun over the Sig 226/MK25, and when it comes to range time how often will I shoot it when I can take a CZ, an X5, or a 1911? That's the dillema.

If I had to own 3 guns or something probably they'd all be striker fired guns but since I'm lucky enough to own what I want my fun guns are hammer fired. I have a buddy who's going to buy his first carry gun and he wants a striker fired and I agree with him, his contenders being a Ruger SR9c, a G19, The Sig 320 compact, and an XDs. All striker fired all excellent guns for a guy who's not going to own a bunch of guns, but not for me.

You know, I'm aware that I'm flying in the face of all of the highspeed/lowdrag trainers...but besides being cheap, I don't think that the striker designs offer anything over a hammer design, particularly when it comes to daily carry.

Then again, I am rather high drag/lowspeed.

The odds are, I'm going to end up buying more strikers in the future...but they will most likely be but temporary residents of the safe.

My revolvers, my 1911's, and now, slowly, some Sigs are my daily drivers; the Mk25 is in the nightstand, and a USP45 is my "quick access" elsewhere in the house...with an FNX40 as a dedicated car gun.

My M&P has become a training gun and loaner.

And I am still Glockless; I strongly considered the G41...but I think I will get a FNX45 instead.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Actually...I am moving the other direction.

I have almost come to the conclusion that the striker pistols (namely the G19) is pretty much all I need in a defensive or carry pistol. I have kind of had it with pistols that are bigger, heavier or have hammers and safeties. in a pinch situation...I doubt I will have time to fool with a hammer, safety or de-cocker.

The striker pistols don't have decent triggers? Well...not if you are shooting precision bulls-eye type events but for up close, fast and defensive needs...they are more than fine. With my G19 and G17 I can put them all in a 2-5" circle from 15-20yds or so. Why do I need a super crisp 1911-like match trigger and a pistol that shoots 1/2" groups?

At 3am when the window breaks or door kicks in...who cares about fancy checkered grips, nice sights or a 1911 that shoots 1/2" groups? I just don't think it matters.

Yeah...flame away but I could ditch the 1911s, SIGs and my old Beretta 96 and just keep my 3 Glocks and they would do all of my defensive/carry/protection needs just fine. Not only are they lighter and simpler...the things just flat out run and don't give any troubles.

I still like my 44 mag Vaquero for a hunting back up but yeah...the striker autos for me are perfect defensive guns.

·
Registered
29,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No flaming...striker designs are adequate pistols.

I just don't thnk I need to stop at adequate.

And a pistol that is more accurate at the range will still be more accurate under stress...when your "group" sizes triple or quadruple.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
And a pistol that is more accurate at the range will still be more accurate under stress...when your "group" sizes triple or quadruple.
As far as using the gun under a high stress situation goes, having to cock the hammer or take the gun off of safety, could prove to be an issue too though.

I'm going to have to borrow my bro's P226 and see if I am actually more accurate with it than my Glocks.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yeah but the last thing I want at 3am when the glass breaks or the front door kicks in is a light, glass-like trigger and a hammer and safety to deal with. I am groggy and probably hyped up on adrenaline and not all that coordinated in those conditions! LOL

YMMV

Keep it simple...rack slide...pull trigger.

Now for range day target shooting....yes...give me the 1911 or my Hi-Power.

Different tools for different needs...I say.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts