Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fired approximately 700 rounds through my XD-40. I have personally had ZERO failures of any kind. I have used WWB 165gr FMJ and reloaded WWB with 135gr FMJ.

I have let several other people fire my gun. Those that have fired pistols before did not have any failures either. However, the three people that have never fired a pistol before ALL had failures to extract and feed. Each of these people fired very few shots. I noticed they all had a very light grip on the gun. I told them to use a firm grip. After they did, no more failures.

Theory: A lot of the failures people are having is due to a weak grip on the pistol.

--------------------------------------
When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
--------------------------------------

·
Registered
272 Posts
+1 I would have to agree because I was having problems and I do not know if that was the problem exactly but I can understand that If I did have a loose grip the first day than that would explain the FTF I had. Today I fired over 200 rounds and only had one FTF and one FTE. I focused alot on my grip, trigger, and squeeze.

·
Registered
143 Posts
law_n_4_zer said:
+1 I would have to agree because I was having problems and I do not know if that was the problem exactly but I can understand that If I did have a loose grip the first day than that would explain the FTF I had. Today I fired over 200 rounds and only had one FTF and one FTE. I focused alot on my grip, trigger, and squeeze.
On the FTF, did you recycle the round and try again? On the fail to eject, did it just not eject at all/get caught up or what?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's true you have to have a firm grip with these type of gun's. But with mine it still had FTF when I gripped it hard. That was the first thing I Thought about and did when it had the FTF. Now that I fixed it there has been no problems except with one brand of ammo. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
pdjplano

On the FTF I slapped the slide and it fed and fired and on the Fail to eject it got caught, I have some pics of both the FTF and FTE I will get them up later today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
First off I want to say I am new here and bought my first handgun a couple months ago. A XD-40 Service Modle and I love it!!

I've been doing alot of reading on here the last few weeks and I must agree that it soulds like the FTF's are from a weak grip. How else can some people have many problems while other people have none? I've fired my XD-40 over 550 rounds with no FTF's. I don't use a hella firm grip but more of a fairly firm grip. The ammo I have shot thus far is Winchester 180 gr. FMJ, Winchester 165 gr. FMJ (some from Walmart, some from gun shop) Winchester Supreme 180 gr. SXT, Remington 180 gr. UMC, and Speer Gold Dot 165 gr. HP.

For everyone having problems I hope that's all it is. It's extremely fustrating when things don't work the way they should. I enjoy reading all the info that people share on here. I just wanted to offer my two cents for what it's worth.

Scooter72

·
Registered
359 Posts
Just my opinion, a controlled and firm grip is good, but keeping your wrists locked (which keeps them from breaking upward upon recoil) is really what tends to eliminate the ejection failures. A weak grip and limp-wristing are two different things!

Thus, if you're still having problems after firming up your grip, watch those wrists!

-stunks

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I put my second 200 rounds downrange with my new XD40SC, I did some weak handed shooting and had multiple FTE's and FTF's.

I've never shot weak handed before and it felt really goofy. I know I had a lousy weak grip on the gun just by the observed recoil. The gun jumped around in my hand a lot.

When I swithced back to strong hand, FTF's stopped. 'Nuff proof for me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never blame failures to feed on the gun until you've ruled out ammo problems. I suggest to anyone having problems with feeding - not ejecting; to get a case check guage ($10) and either check you ammo before you shoot to rule oversized cases out, or bring one to the range and at the first hint of failures start checking your ammo.

It can be a very enlightening experience. Certain manufacturors are rife with problems, to name a few Amerc and PMC. Even after resizing PMC brass it won't drop in the guage consistantly. That is what stopped me from using mixed brass and going with one brand only.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Definitely try different ammo.

I have about 3500 rounds through my .40. 3000+ WWB 165gr flat nose FMJ, not one failure. 100 rounds Blazer Brass, 3 failures to feed. 100 rounds Remington UMC, 3 failures to feed.

All failures were first round in the mag, slingshot the slide, caught on the edge of the case. The WWB has a rounded crimp, others had a square edge.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some of these FTF from weak grip can be minimized also by tuning the recoil spring to the load used. Contrary to popular belief the gun will very often function better with a lighter spring. I just bought my XD40 Tactical but have not had a chance to wring it out yet. The spring looks and feels to be at least 18.5 pounds which would be on the heavy side for a 1911 for average loads. I do not have one of those pricey spring testers but I am going to get one.

I couldn't help but notice that the slide on this gun is HEAVY. I won't know for sure if that heavy a spring would be needed until I shoot & test the gun. Manufacturers try to put a fit all spring in the gun, but you can almost always make it shoot better by matching the spring to the load used. If you race the gun and reload any of you guys that's been at it for awhile already know you can dial that thing right in. I'm used to 1911's so this is a fairly new gun for me to work with, it should prove interesting.

The short version of what I'm saying here is the FTF with a weak grip may be indicative of too heavy a spring. And although a firm grip is important for control and accuracy (and function) it may be less important for the function part with a lighter spring in it. A too heavy spring can overcome your mag springs (especially if there getting weak) and cause other probs as well.

svc40bt, where did the edge of the case catch on? The barrel is ramped and they look to have a pretty straight shot to the chamber. This factory ammo is ALL supposed to have only taper crimp because the case headspaces on the case mouth. My 1911 gun I shoot in IDPA uses 45 200gr. SWC which have a pretty good ledge on there and I only slightly taper crimp- the barrel is not ramped yet the gun feeds flawlessly....but not without a good amount of work to get it that way. Are you sure that on that 1st round feed it didn't nosedive? and catch on the mag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts