Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone im back after being gone for awhile. I had bought a XDM 9mm a while back not long after the 9mm was released and really liked the gun I just never got the hang of the trigger so I sold it to my dad. I then shot a glock which I seemed to shoot better and it was a very simple design so I bought one.

Well I borrow the XDM back from my dad which he has not even shot once since I sold it to him and I fell in love all over again. Man the ergo's of this gun are amazing! Im a lefty and everything is so easy for me to work. The serrations on the slide are very easy to grip also and I like that it has front serrations. The glock has a pretty slippery slide at times and no front serrations. The factory sights on the XDM are also much better then the factory glock sights. I like that I dont have to pull the trigger to take it down and the firing pin indicator out the back is also a neat feature. Mag release is also great for me being a lefty and even tho the trigger has some creep its very smooth and as light as I need. (The creep in the trigger is what I had issues with before and just improper technique I think) Sorry im sure this has been gone over a million times!

So since this gun feels so amazing in my hand I been dry firing the crap out of it with some snap caps and I really think I might have the trigger down. I cant wait to go shooting on friday and see how I do with it now. Either way im pretty sure ill be buying it back from my dad.

There probably is only 1 thing I like better about the glock and that is the ease of stripping the whole gun slide and frame down piece by piece if I want to do a thorough cleaning. Is the XDM really that difficult to detail strip if you ever need to?
Ohh and the glock magazines also seem to be more reliable.

Thats it I just wanted to say im back for what I hope is for good now. I plan to practice a lot with it and eventually start competing in matches at my local gun club.

If you have some pointers for me about how you maintain your XDM feel free to reply.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
If it has been dry fired some the parts wear nicely into each other and smooths things out. Or if you oil the internals. Good to have you back.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome back!

"Resistance is Futile" :twisted:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I fell in love all over again at the range on Sunday. 1st time out with my CZ 75B, which is very nice (more later). After about 150 rounds through the CZ, I picked up my XDm .40 Compact to check out my two new Father's Day mags for feeding issues. My XDM is a very forgiving lover! The best 54 rounds I have ever shot.

·
Premium Member
127,168 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fell in love all over again at the range on Sunday. 1st time out with my CZ 75B, which is very nice (more later). After about 150 rounds through the CZ, I picked up my XDm .40 Compact to check out my two new Father's Day mags for feeding issues. My XDM is a very forgiving lover! The best 54 rounds I have ever shot.

Nice! Are the Mags factory replacements or aftermarket?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Detail strip on the XDm is actually not very difficult imo. Maintenance is just as minimal as on a glock. I learned how to detail strip my XDm compact when I installed the PRP ultimate trigger kit myself, PRP has a youtube channel that has videos on how to install the trigger kits, but the videos also show you in detail how to strip your gun down to install these parts, I found it very helpful.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Detail strip on the XDm is actually not very difficult imo. Maintenance is just as minimal as on a glock. I learned how to detail strip my XDm compact when I installed the PRP ultimate trigger kit myself, PRP has a youtube channel that has videos on how to install the trigger kits, but the videos also show you in detail how to strip your gun down to install these parts, I found it very helpful.
Cool ill have to check that out. Is there a trigger kit that gives a crisp break but not any lighter on the pull?

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Welcome back JJ. You can run, but you will never hide once you drink the XD/XDm kool aid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I suppose if your looking for a crisp break without the softer pull, you could just use the original factory springs instead of the reduced power ones that you would usually install along with the trigger kit. Or maybe even just buy the PRP sear without the rest of the kit. I personally love the lighter and shorter pull.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nice! Are the Mags factory replacements or aftermarket?
Factory mags purchased from SA during their Father's Day sale. I am too much of a noob to go experimenting with aftermarket mags yet. Identical to OE ones I received with gun except for the Scotch tape I placed on the base plates. They are still on probation until I run some Ranger-Ts through them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose if your looking for a crisp break without the softer pull, you could just use the original factory springs instead of the reduced power ones that you would usually install along with the trigger kit. Or maybe even just buy the PRP sear without the rest of the kit. I personally love the lighter and shorter pull.
Thanks ill most likely be looking into a trigger kit before long.

·
Registered
895 Posts
i have a very similar story, but mine ended in 'My dad kept the xdm i originally sold him, i sold my g26 and bought an xdm9c'

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Cool ill have to check that out. Is there a trigger kit that gives a crisp break but not any lighter on the pull?

PRP has a basic kit with the new trigger incorporating the overtravel stop and new safety lever without springs. It's under 90 bucks. I did that kit (with the separate OT stop) and then polished parts. It's smooth as butta and breaks over crisp as lettuce. The polishing gave as much perceived benefit as the trigger parts.

If you ONLY want the smooth and crisp break, you can get a lot of the benefits with just home DIY work for free. Take out the sear and polish it where it contacts the striker. Take out the striker and polish it where it contacts the sear. That will make it smooth. I also polished the inside of the striker channel as it had a booger in it causing a scratch. Also polished any other part of the trigger assembly and bar that showed any sign of rub.

The vertical portions are where you want to concentrate. If you look closely, you can see the top of the striker vertical edge is slightly rounded. Stoning it to make it a SHARP vertical edge would make it more crisp. Same thing on the sear. HOWEVER! Diddling with them can result in other problems if you change the angles. Worse case you could make it unsafe, unreliable or both. Mine's crisp enough to keep me from messing with it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts