Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my son is 3 1/2 years old. He has watched me sit on XDtalk and look at threads and pictures and what not. He always tells me everytime he sees a gun "look dad you have that gun, it's so cool" regardless of what gun it is lol they all look the same to him. Well, I thought he would get a kick out of it if I put pictures of him up with his guns. He loves his gun collection as much as I love mine. I recently handed down the BB gun that I got when I was 5, and i've been teaching him all the basic gun safety steps using this BB gun. So far, he understands the difference between a "real" gun and a "fake" gun. He knows to NEVER touch my guns (His BB gun stays in my safe, and everytime I open it, he points to my guns and says "those are dads, I can't touch those") And he's starting to understand why you don't keep your finger on the trigger (notice his finger is not on the trigger of the BB gun, he knows it's a "real" gun so he doesn't put his finger on the trigger) Anyway, I'm very proud of my son for being so smart at the age of 3 so here are his pics...

And of course his favorite gun, the BB gun!

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Thats cool man, do you have him shooting real guns yet like a .22 or something or is he still training on the BB gun?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats cool man, do you have him shooting real guns yet like a .22 or something or is he still training on the BB gun?
I've actually wanted to let him shoot my Marlin 60 (of course with me holding it), but the wife won't let me take him to the range... We've discussed it, and she thinks 5 is a good age to let him shoot the .22. We'll see what happens when he turns 4 ;), I think he'll be ready by then.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I love how the guns get progressivly bigger lol

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats cool man, its stuff like this (and income tax return) that makes me want kids.
kids are awesome. Me and the wife (actually soon to be, we are getting married May 6th) are planning on having another one here real soon. Hoping to get a girl this time so my wife has a daughter to do girl activities with.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I don't know......... you best be careful. It all starts innocently enough.

At first it's water guns. Then it's cap guns. After that it progresses to BB guns or pellet guns. Then you finally get them a 22. If you're not careful, then they move in on YOUR GUNS!!! I know,.... I've already lost some to my boys.

Just sayin.......... ;) :D

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
^ :lol: Yep, my daughter (now just shy of 5 and 1/2) really likes my XDm9 3.8 Compact. She *loves* my Kahr PM9, though. But so-far, she has only dry-fired my airsoft Walther PPK/S. There's time, yet. :)

tjt2039, thank you for sharing. Those are precious. :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts

At first it's water guns. Then it's cap guns. After that it progresses to BB guns or pellet guns. Then you finally get them a 22. If you're not careful, then they move in on YOUR GUNS!!! I know,.... I've already lost some to my boys.

There are worse problems to have then to SHARE your guns with your kids. :D I actually just told my wife that I hope one of our two girls takes to guns so I have something to pass down to them. To the OP its awesome he's taking an interest and seems to be showing great signs of learning. Just remember as smart as he is, he is still 3 1/2. I have to remind myself of that sometimes with my 4 1/2 year old.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

LOL. He will have to wait just as I did to get his own arsenal.

I've decided when he's old enough to start hunting with me, I will hand down my Remington 770 and let that be his gun. When he moves out he can take it with him, until then I will call it his, but it will remain in my safe.

But when he finally does take it, it will be a bonus for me because then I'll have an excuse to get myself a new hunting rifle. I'm thinking a nice 700 chambered in .30-06 :D

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are worse problems to have then to SHARE your guns with your kids. :D I actually just told my wife that I hope one of our two girls takes to guns so I have something to pass down to them. To the OP its awesome he's taking an interest and seems to be showing great signs of learning. Just remember as smart as he is, he is still 3 1/2. I have to remind myself of that sometimes with my 4 1/2 year old.

lol, yeah sometimes it is hard to remember how young he is. I have to admit, the anticipation of him learning all about guns is killing me! I don't want time to go any faster, but I can not wait for the father/son range trips.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ :lol: Yep, my daughter (now just shy of 5 and 1/2) really likes my XDm9 3.8 Compact. She *loves* my Kahr PM9, though. But so-far, she has only dry-fired my airsoft Walther PPK/S. There's time, yet. :)

tjt2039, thank you for sharing. Those are precious. :)
That's awesome, I started my boy out on an airsoft handgun. Took too it pretty quick so I decided to hand down the BB gun.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've actually wanted to let him shoot my Marlin 60 (of course with me holding it), but the wife won't let me take him to the range... We've discussed it, and she thinks 5 is a good age to let him shoot the .22. We'll see what happens when he turns 4 ;), I think he'll be ready by then.
I would try finding a secluded area for his first time. If your range has regular traffic, large firearms and their concussion may be a deterrent for a proper learning environment. It may be intimidating for a young kid learning to shoot. Just a lesson I've learned during the short time that I've been instructing. If you have no access to a place like that try going during off hours with him.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would try finding a secluded area for his first time. If your range has regular traffic, large firearms and their concussion may be a deterrent for a proper learning environment. It may be intimidating for a young kid learning to shoot. Just a lesson I've learned during the short time that I've been instructing. If you have no access to a place like that try going during off hours with him.

good point, thanks. I live in AZ, so it's pretty much all desert here. I'm sure I can find a place other than our usual spot to take him out for his first time, or his first couple times.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I cant wait till my son gets old enough to take to the range... he is 2 and 1/2 years old right now, I would take my daughter (she is 12) but she is in that goofy girl stage right now where they get all excited and spaz out... and would probably end up accidentally shooting someone, I'm not inclined to find out though lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts