Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so, I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I'd like, and most frequently, I'm taking a newbie or someone else up to the range to let them shoot. "My skills" rarely get any work.

Well, today, since it was finally beautiful, I went through 70 rounds at a nice, slow, leisurely pace, trying to make the stance that Snake-Eater showed me a while back feel more natural.

My first targets were... well.... absolute crap. Snake-eater knows what I'm talking about.

Then I winnowed down to this guy:

Now, the vertical string I'm going to say is because I kept alternating between POI and 6'o-clock holds... I was still disappointed, as this was a mere 20 feet away.

I noticed that while I was focused on the front sight and I wasn't closing my eyes in reaction every time I fired, I still wasn't watching the front-sight through recoil. My focus immediately would shift to the target to see how I had done. I also began to suspect that, as with my .308 shooting, I was jerking my head up or pushing the gun down so I could see over it and see the bullet impact.

[Target is below]
So, with these things in mind, I took 3 more shots... Group 1. Holy CRAP. Now I was doing it even more obviously. Ok, let's go do some bench shooting from 50 feet. Group 2. Agh. That's awful. Now I was really upset. What the hell was I DOING? So, I unloaded, went back to 20 feet, took aim, closed my eyes, and dry-fired. Alright. The sights were still were I had put them. So I tried this 4 times with a loaded gun. Aim. Close eyes. Squeeze trigger. Open eyes. Group 3. And, oh my god. All in the grey, and a really tight group. I don't think I've ever shot that well. Now I was excited. I took aim, closed my eyes, opened them, and squeezed the trigger. Bam. Another shot in the grey. 4-1. But then, trying to resume normal shooting WITHOUT closing my eyes, I ended up at 4-2 again, way out of the grey.

I guess it makes enough sense, but man, it really bothers me. Not quite sure how to fix it either.

Figured I'd share, and see if this "technique" did anything for anyone else. :)

I got 0.7" groups, CTC, with my eyes closed.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You'd be the **** if you could get a job as a sleepwalking security guard...

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd settle with a job so I could afford more ammo and more practice. :)

I have a fear of sleep-walkers. Actually.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gee, now I feel like I did a 1/2 aced job saturday (see my range report down a few entries)- I only tried w/1 eye closed!!!! do you normally shoot 1-2 eyes open? I was going to start a poll w/ always-sometimes 1 or 2 eyes... Now I guess it should include both shut!?!?!?

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Overkills problem is that he's what I call gun shy. The kick and the sound of his 40 scares him to the point he can't shoot right. My brother in law shoots a Walther 22 because he's scared of anything bigger. It will take some training with a very experienced shooter to set you straight Overkill.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sufficient ammo won't do the trick, eh? :)

It took about 60/70 rounds with Snake-Eater before I felt I was shooting acceptably...

Right now, I just can't afford to shoot much, and not very frequently. In fact, last time I shot WAS with Snake-Eater.

Today, it definitely felt like I was shooting a different gun. Not sure what the deal was. Things felt completely different. (Shrug)

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
I think your a flinch freak. The second you pull the trigger you more or less end up yanking the gun. Your probably pulling the trigger to fast and/or to hard. I did some dry firing when I was out at the range with htown. I noticed on occasion I was flinching. You'll see the end of the barrel wobble when you flinch. You have the same trouble with your 308. That's why you can't hit anything. Slowly pull the trigger till you feel resistance. At that point your just short of firing the weapon. Keep pulling slowly. Don't yank.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are things I *know*, and I had no issues dry firing... But I think I get so excited when I'm actually shooting... That, whew.

But yeah, it's flinch, or some kind of nasty nasty jerking spastic crap.

I still know when it's gonna break, even with my eyes shut. But something different was happening. More concentration on form or somesuch.

Can't wait to try it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try putting a nickle or a dime on the front sight and pull the trigger and try to keep it on the sight. thats what I did and i found that my pull was actually a JACKHAMMER. LOL It helped me out a lot. Just my 2 cents worth. :D

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
In you shooting video, you did great on the bowling pins. Could be you are better at objects than you are at a paper bullseye.
I've read articles where professional hunters are deadly on wild game and then take them to the target range or skeet towers and they can't hit a hill o'beans.
In cases like yours a .22 rifle or pistol would be good "exercise" to get your skills honed. (cheap practice)
Don't worry, Mr TASF you do OK. 8)

·
Registered
342 Posts
maybe you're an action-shooter. The adrenaline gets pumping before you go to blow the target away, you're pumped and have excessive energy for a low-stress situation. I would suggest shooting around a bit one handed, just practicing dirty harry style on the pins or dirt targets to get the thrill out of your system; after a few mags, get your mind set on working and get to fine tuning. This, of course, comes from an amateur and I have never had the opportunity to do it myself (though I wish I could). It just seems to me when it comes to firearms practice, some people have to play before they work. YMMV, and this could in fact be a stupid idea.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]I'd settle with a job so I could afford more ammo and more practice. :)
Check with the circus. I think they might hire someone who shoots as good as you do with their eyes closed.

bd

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually, Overkill, if I had one suggestion it would be less concentration, and more focus. That's a very subtle thing, but it makes a world of difference.

Clearly your body is capable of making those shots. No question about it, and the "eyes closed" groups prove it. It's your mind that's messing you up.

If you haven't read it, Brian Enos' book "Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals" talks about this sort of thing in a lot of depth. How to let your mind relax, so you're observing the gun, and directing it, rather than trying to push it around. My nickel's worth...

Scott

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's very Zen. :)

.oO(Overkill sits there on the shooting bench, legs crossed, hands on knees, palms up... a look of absolute peace on his face. His eye twitches. Screaming, he tears his XD out of the holster and puts a shot in the black 100 yards away. His face relaxes again, he reholsters, his eyes ease shut again, and all is silent.)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Practice this daily and you too can learn to shoot a gnat in the ass at 100 yards and knock his eye balls out. Gnats just hate that!
I think I saw that on the Discovery Channel last night. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts