Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread started out as me simply announcing that I had gotten my Savage. It morphed into more than that. I added range trips to it, and Got a lot of good advice from people. So, this has become my running log of my experience with my Savage 11. Take from it what you will, and follow me on my crazy journey.

It started something like this...

I was at Fleet Farm today when I got a call from the Gun Shop, My rifle came in!! it's a Savage Model 11 with a Bushnell Sharpshooter 3-9X40 scope.

and of course, since it was on order, I had to spend my time buying ammo

·
Registered
29,597 Posts
Nice...I bought one today m'self...

I also picked up some 168gr V-Max's...may have to hit the range tomorrow.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Congrats to both of you!

I sure like mine. Have only shot it once, but it was fun. I love the trigger!

Model 12 VLP 22-250 with 4to16X40 Bushnell Elite 4200. I have a Super Sniper scope on the way. I will see what works best. Going to the range next weekend!

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Nice rifle! I've got one in .270 and put a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope on it.

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice rifle! I've got one in .270 and put a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40 scope on it.
how much was the Nikon? The Sharpshooter is a pretty cheap scope, so I'm looking at options for upgrades

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
how much was the Nikon? The Sharpshooter is a pretty cheap scope, so I'm looking at options for upgrades
The Nikon ProStaff is their entry level scope, but I've found it to be a great scope and it has been out in all sorts of weather. I have made shots on hog and targets out to around to 200 yards.

Retail on it was around $150...I got a deal from a friend who worked at Dicks Sporting goods and picked it up for around $100.
Here's the link from Nikon.
Nikon Hunting

Google shopping results: (Looks like some pretty good deals out there.
nikon prostaff 3-9x40 - Google Search

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Here's my Savage after action!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I agree that the Nikon Prostaff is a great scope. I had one on my 308 for a while. Held nice and tight and the glass had to be the clearest I have seen in a long time. For a $150 scope, the glass is far better than ANY in that price range.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice buy man :D
My birthdays coming up so went to gun store for a Early Birthday gift only had about $500 give or take so not much to choose from. I got the Savage Axis Stainless XP in 308 today. pick it up in 10 days. Should of done more research gun not all that good as for upgrades. I'm just using it for pinking so it will do for now. Next month my real b-day present have my eye on a XD 45 :D

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
FYI...out of all the ammo you have in that pic, my Savage groups best with the Hornady....and it likes one grain weight over another, but I can't recall which one off the top of my head.

Kind of funny how a rifle will react to something seemingly as common as ammunition.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My savage loves the Hornady Match. 168gr A-Max.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My savage loves the Hornady Match. 168gr A-Max.
good to know. I am finding out quickly that skimping on ammo really hurts my shooting

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought the Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 BDC and I love it its a great scope.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a Truglo for 70% off, We'll see how it works when I get back from the shop. they are mounting it for cost of parts since I bought the rifle with them. I know there are definitely better scopes out there, but the glass was much better than on the Bushnell I had, and for the price it was hard to say no. If this one doesn't work out for some reason, I'll be buyin a Nokon prostaff and the Truglo will go on my 10/22. The Bushnell is probably going to end up on my 12guage, but we'll see

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a Super Sniper 16X mill dot scope on the way. I want to see if it's better than the Bushnell Elite 4200 4X16 40mm Should be a fun test.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
good to know. I am finding out quickly that skimping on ammo really hurts my shooting
Yeah, I think that the hornady is the cheapest "match" ammo. My first time out with my rifle, I shot the first 5 in a one inch group and the next 15 into a 2 inch group. Not really letting it cool down a lot.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I think that the hornady is the cheapest "match" ammo. My first time out with my rifle, I shot the first 5 in a one inch group and the next 15 into a 2 inch group. Not really letting it cool down a lot.

Thinking about it, one major mistake I made shooting my Savage the first time, was just banging away, just taking time to reload the magazine, next time out, I'll be taking my time and give at least a minute or 2 between groups. Nice thing, my iPod earbuds fit nicely under my ear protection

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Being that yours doesn't look to be a bull barrel, cool down would probably improve your groups a bit. My old Mossy 308, grouped pretty good until about 5 shots, then it was to hot and was all over the place afterwards. Since yours is a .308, it is a 1:10 twist, Savage test fires the rifle with 168gr SMK. And 168 is perfect for 1:10. Make sure if you get the Hornady stuff, to get the box that says Match, not the custom or the Superformance.
Here's my girl

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Being that yours doesn't look to be a bull barrel, cool down would probably improve your groups a bit. My old Mossy 308, grouped pretty good until about 5 shots, then it was to hot and was all over the place afterwards. Since yours is a .308, it is a 1:10 twist, Savage test fires the rifle with 168gr SMK. And 168 is perfect for 1:10. Make sure if you get the Hornady stuff, to get the box that says Match, not the custom or the Superformance.
Here's my girl

That rifle is a thing of beauty. it's funny, I know a lot about pistol shooting and I thought I knew rifle shooting. Boy was I wrong about rifle. It is fun, though, the learning process. going to the range to night with the Hornady, and a box of Remington UMC, just to get the new scope zeroed

1 - 20 of 157 Posts