Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new rifle in today. Fell in love at first sight and decided I had to have one. Sold off my Savage 10FP LE .308 to fund this purchase, let's see if the decision was the right one. :) Here's my little preview for those that care to read through my wall of text.

'Dat stock... ooh baby!
The GSR has a nice laminate stock in subdued black and gray tones, and aggressive checkering where you'd expect it. The rifle barrel and action is a matte blue finish, with the bolt and bolt handle in a natural stainless. The bolt hangs up a little while manipulating it at the rearmost position, but I've read that it will smooth out with use. A bit of Tetra grease and some time on the couch should help a bit. Wow, that sounds a bit kinky, LOL!

Sightseeing
The GSR comes equipped with iron sights, the front is a protected post with two "wings" and the rear is what looks to be a variation of the Mini-14 peep sight. The peep has a moderate aperture size, probably somewher between the long and short range/low-light apetures you'd find on the current M16/M4 rifles. Perhaps some day I'll get out my caliper and measure the aperture inside diameter.

Bangswitch boogie
The trigger isn't too bad out of the box, but it could use a bit of attention to smooth it out a bit. I noticed some creep and takeup, but the break was decent enough. Some dryfiring will likely help here as well. Before I go crazy on that, I will acquire some snap caps to avoid causing undue strain on the firing pin.

All your (optics) base are belong to us
The most notable feature of the rifle is the forward-located optics mounting point. The base is a picatinny-style, and works well with my chosen Aimpoint Comp M4s red dot. I will suggest that anyone looking to mount a red dot go with the lowest solution possible, and you should give up any hope of being able to cowitness with the irons while using optics of any sort. I have an Aimpoint 3x magnifier and twist-off mount inbound which should arrive tomorrow evening, at which time I will mount it behind the M4s and determine if I like the Aimpoint setup on this rifle. I will really enjoy this combination if I can get it low enough. Worst-case scenario: I can get a cheek pad for the stock.

MAGnificent, just what I needed
Immediately after purchasing the GSR, I ordered two Alpha Industries .308 Type 2 magazines to go with it. These magazines are doublestack with a single feed lip system, designed to reduce overall length. If my hand-scale is properly calibrated, I'd say they're a bit lighter than the stock mag as well. The Type 2's are also lacking the inner liner to give you a bit more leeway in loading your .308's long, which may give me more options in determining the most accurate handload for this rifle.

Just one problem with these Alpha Industries mags: They don't work as advertised! They state on their website that these mags should work without modification to the magazine or firearm. Well, they don't. The folding, springloaded ejector mated to the receiver binds on the magazine feed lips at the very rear. Worst part is if you try to force it, it will keep the ejector in the down position which will cause a FTE. No friggin' bueno. I've got a request for support in with the company right now and I'll keep everyone updated on how they handle the situation.

And now for what everyone is here for: pics! You only get one until I get my DSLR dusted off for proper pictures. I'll also get some pics up of the magazine/ejector issue previously discussed at a later time.

·
Premium Member
128,401 Posts
That's a really sharp firearm!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I like it. My buddy left his in my safe for awhile and told me to go ahead and shoot it. :D That wasn't such a good idea because now I have to get one. I see they're making them for lefty shooters now so I have to jump on that.

He's getting the XS rail for his. You might like it with the setup you mentioned.
XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Very nice, GT!

I know IM quite fond of mine, dropped a doe with it a coupe weeks ago

I'll be installing a timney trigger and free floating the bbl on mine, will give another accuracy report after thats done

enjoy, there great lil rifles!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Nice...I'm still impatiently waiting for my Rem 700 and the millet TRS-1 :(

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just ordered a ching sling and swivel kit. Whoohoo! Somebody stop me! :)

That's a really sharp firearm!
Thanks. :)
I like it. My buddy left his in my safe for awhile and told me to go ahead and shoot it. :D That wasn't such a good idea because now I have to get one. I see they're making them for lefty shooters now so I have to jump on that.

He's getting the XS rail for his. You might like it with the setup you mentioned.
XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts
I've seen that mount, and while it's nice with the integrated peep and all, I probably won't need it. Besides, it will add weight and I'm trying to keep the thing as light as possible.

I can't wait to take this thing out for a shakedown run. :D
Very nice, GT!

I know IM quite fond of mine, dropped a doe with it a coupe weeks ago

I'll be installing a timney trigger and free floating the bbl on mine, will give another accuracy report after thats done

enjoy, there great lil rifles!
I blame you, reading your posts on the GSR and then answering my question about the Timney trigger. It's all your fault! OK, maybe not, but it sounded better than blaming myself for desiring this rifle so much. LOL. My barrel is floated, but it's a little tight IMHO. I'm not messing with anything until after I take it out a few times.

But, I can see myself relieving the area around the bbl a bit and bedding the stock. I can't help myself!
Nice...I'm still impatiently waiting for my Rem 700 and the millet TRS-1 :(
That rifle needs to hurry up and land in your hands! *Thinks speedy delivery thoughts*

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
pretty sweet looking rifle, let us know how shooting goes

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I've seen that mount, and while it's nice with the integrated peep and all, I probably won't need it. Besides, it will add weight and I'm trying to keep the thing as light as possible.
I think it's kind of gimmicky myself. It's suppose to be a scout rifle anyway. Have you heard of any aftermarket stocks? My buddy wants a walnut stock for his, but I'm coming up with nothing.

Lets see some target pics using the dot.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Shot a buddies a while back. Very typical Ruger tolerances. Great for what it was designed to do. Glad to hear someone actually used it for hunting. Magazine system definitely the weak link so far.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's kind of gimmicky myself. It's suppose to be a scout rifle anyway. Have you heard of any aftermarket stocks? My buddy wants a walnut stock for his, but I'm coming up with nothing.

Lets see some target pics using the dot.
I'll get pics up after I get it zero'd and I settle into the rifle a bit.
Shot a buddies a while back. Very typical Ruger tolerances. Great for what it was designed to do. Glad to hear someone actually used it for hunting. Magazine system definitely the weak link so far.
Care to offer some anecdotal evidence that the magazine system is flawed, or is that just a personal opinion?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I like the rfle, keep thinking of reasons to buy one but can't convince myself. I would opt for some magnification, to take advantage of the renge of the 308, & would go w/ a Scout scope by Leupold. I have one on my 45-70 gg, fast & allows for some accurate shooting out @ 200yds, further for the 308.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Just get it Fred, you wont be sorry, just take the plunge dude!
I'm runnin a Burriss 2-7 handgun scope, works great

GT, that bolt will slick up as you work the rifle more, especially that little hang up at the back of the stroke when working it, mine smoothed right out.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
GT, that bolt will slick up as you work the rifle more, especially that little hang up at the back of the stroke when working it, mine smoothed right out.
Is it just me or does that sound dirty?

GT....nice rifle....good choice

·
Premium Member
12,144 Posts
Congrats. :cool:

I think that rifle has the potential to be a center fire equivalent of the 10/22--I predict oodles of aftermarket goodies in the next couple years when it's really caught on.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
^^^^ this, is true, IMHO

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all.

Well, I found out the hard way that an Aimpoint 3x magnifier doesn't have enough eye relief to work with a scout rifle... at least not with the stock mount. Looks pretty good though (still waiting on the short screws so I can take out the spacers):

Now I have to decide on whether I get the XS sights rail, or ditch this setup and go with a LER scope that will work for the scout. Decisions, decisions. :(

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I was thinking that might be a problem. Looks good though.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I vote LER scope,but Im biased of course.

:D

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was thinking that might be a problem. Looks good though.
I'm finding out real fast that function has to come before form, LOL. Oh well, I haven't seen anyone put up a setup like this on any of the sites I lurk on, so at least I know if it will or will not work. It's good info for others to know before they try the same setup. :)
I vote LER scope,but Im biased of course.

:D
I figure you'd say that. :D

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aimpoint kindly sent me two full sets of short screws so I could take the spacer out of the Comp M4s. I've done so and it seemed to make all the difference in the world in how it feels on this rifle. Still a smidge high, but it's nothing that a good cheekpad for the stock can't fix. So here's how it sits now, with the Alpha Industries .308 Type 2 mag inserted (they still haven't contacted me about the problem I'm having):

1 - 20 of 53 Posts