Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i decided to go with the YHM ez pull take down pins for my current short barreled rifle build. i hated that sometimes it was difficult to pull the pins out on the stock ones so i went looking for an alternative, and decided on these
EZ Pull Takedown Pin Set

well the first thing i noticed was that the pins had kinda a "rough" finish on them. the heads were fine but the shaft wasn't very smooth. well whether or not it was needed i took some 1000 grit paper and smoothed them out. not enought to take the finish off.

so i throw them in. well they are AWESOME!!!!! i absolutly love them. now i will be unable to have an ar-15 that doesn't have them (at least the rear pin, but preferably both).

so if you have been thinking about getting different pins i highly recomend these. or if you have ever had a hard time garbing the rear pin you should get these.

and like i said i doubt the sanding i did was needed, i should have tried them first but i didnt feel like takeing it apart twice "IF" it was needed

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh and one more thing i notice is that they seem to be a tighter fit and removed any "play" between the upper and lower.

·
Registered
324 Posts
No offense, but those look like a solution to a non-existent problem. But what the hell, if you're happy, I'm happy for you. :D

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the pins removing "play" is in your head ;):p
it very easily could be :p but just for kicks i just measured them and my old pins were .245 and the new YHM pins are .2505
im not sure if that would make a difference that i could notice but it is .0055 difference

as for not being useful, how do you remove your pins? probably by pushing through the other side so it will stick out a little and then getting your nail under it and pulling it out. to me this was a PITA now all i have to do is pull making the process easier and faster. did i need it? no but now that i have them i love them.

its one of those things that you do all the time and then you find a way easier way and then think "why the hell didn't I do this earlier"

i personally had trouble pulling the rear pin from time to time. not too often but enough for me to go out and buy these

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I have never had a problem with my pins and never even knew those pins existed. BRD to a whole new level!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will never end, this is what so many people do endlessly to that beloved black rifle (or what ever color it is this week). Customize, personalize and make a unique rifle that is perfect for "them". Every time I look at mine I think of something I could modify wether it be for function or show or showy functin. Ah hell, now I need to start a new build.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
i like the KNS take down pin's better, but i haven't found a need to have such a thing.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If the new take down pins are slightly oversized, then they would eliminate some play. I have a Rock River Arms LAR-15 with standard take down pins. The rifle came with a yellow plastic non-marring tool to push out the pins. Problem is, you need to carry this tool with you at all times when you have the rifle. I also like to have a front sight adjustment tool on hand. I may modify the hollow pistol grip to be a storage compartment.

Both pins push out with resistance as RRA uppers and lowers are known to have tight fits. Some AR-15 front pins have screw heads, but the front pin on the RRA is a straight push pin. You definitely need the non-marring tool to get them started. Inserting the tool all the way pushes the pins out farther so to don't have to break a finger nail on the far side. A metal tool or cartridge could mar or enlarge the receiver holes. Both pins are held captive by springs and plungers. I like that they are held captive as they cannot be lost in the field. It would be nice to disassemble without that plastic tool. I do not need new pins to take out upper/lower receiver play as my RRA is nice and tight already.

So my questions are: If I buy these replacement pins, how do I completely remove the old ones from the captive springs/plungers (without removing the rear stock tube to get the rear pin out)? Are the new ones held captive or can they be lost in the field? Are the new ones easy to install over the springs and plungers?

If the new pins can be completely removed, that would be a major negative as they could get lost. On the other hand, removing them when storing the (disassembled) rifle would render the rifle ultra safe and childproof.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the new take down pins are slightly oversized, then they would eliminate some play. I have a Rock River Arms LAR-15 with standard take down pins. The rifle came with a yellow plastic non-marring tool to push out the pins. Problem is, you need to carry this tool with you at all times when you have the rifle. I also like to have a front sight adjustment tool on hand. I may modify the hollow pistol grip to be a storage compartment.

Both pins push out with resistance as RRA uppers and lowers are known to have tight fits. Some AR-15 front pins have screw heads, but the front pin on the RRA is a straight push pin. You definitely need the non-marring tool to get them started. Inserting the tool all the way pushes the pins out farther so to don't have to break a finger nail on the far side. A metal tool or cartridge could mar or enlarge the receiver holes. Both pins are held captive by springs and plungers. I like that they are held captive as they cannot be lost in the field. It would be nice to disassemble without that plastic tool. I do not need new pins to take out upper/lower receiver play as my RRA is nice and tight already.

So my questions are: If I buy these replacement pins, how do I completely remove the old ones from the captive springs/plungers (without removing the rear stock tube to get the rear pin out)? Are the new ones held captive or can they be lost in the field? Are the new ones easy to install over the springs and plungers?

If the new pins can be completely removed, that would be a major negative as they could get lost. On the other hand, removing them when storing the (disassembled) rifle would render the rifle ultra safe and childproof.
they work exactly the same as standard pins they just have a bigger head so you can grab it from one side instead of pushing them out the back and then pulling them out all you have to do is pull them.
they are held captive just like the stock ones.

you dont have to remove the stock you just have to loosen the castle nut and pull the plate out a little that fits between the nut and the receiver. then tap the rifle on the buttstock and the detent will lower and you can pull the pin out. you wont have to remove the spring or detent you just need to loosen the castle nut enough and plate for the detent to drop out of the way. just dont forget to tap the buttstock for it to drop out of the way.

total install time less 10min

·
Registered
87 Posts
How far do they stick out the side? do you think that things would easily hang up on them?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How far do they stick out the side? do you think that things would easily hang up on them?
they stick out about 1/4" more then regular ones. there is a chance they could get caught on something due to the design of them. they are ment to be easy to grab so as a result they "could" catch something.

i havent had them catch on anything, and IMO i think there are plenty of other things on an ar-15 that could catch.

if you have multiple uppers or have any reason to want to be able to take the upper off easily then i think these are a great addition. if you just have one upper just a rear one could be beneficial as it would allow you to field strip you gun faster.

but if you dont take your gun apart a lot then no its not really needed or beneficial

1 - 11 of 11 Posts