Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished this about 2 weeks ago and I thought I'd give my $0.02, warning there might be some spoilers in here for those that haven't read it yet.

So first what I liked:
-The collapse didn't happen in a day like in Patriots, there was a period where you could still go to the store and buy things with cash
-He didn't take the easy choice of joining the best stocked retreat you could imagine
-Not all the main character’s survived, you definitely wondered who would get it next

What I didn't
-He didn't need to join the retreat because it just so happened that half the people in his neighborhood had all the skills they needed and I think it was 'Chaparo' not only could weld but had an unlimited supply of raw material
-I got it you're very humble Mark Turner, no need for the constant internal dialogue about how you're not trying to be a leader and you wish everyone would stop talking about how great you are
-The constant guys talking about women cliché’s, "Oh well we all know they do wear the pants in this house!" elbow nudge, wink, wink
-The 47 references to people's eyes becoming like silver dollars or saucers when they saw him pull a gun, also using a different adjective for 'Gunny', every time he appeared it was "the old grizzled war veteran" or some other phrase. Basically this lends to my belief that the book was very entertaining but poorly written
-Speaking of poorly written what the hell was up with the 4 page ending trying to put you in the future by 50 years? Kind of an awkward ending in my opinion
I might sound really critical of the book so I want to put the disclaimer that I enjoyed it and definitely recommend it to any prepper but just know beforehand what you are getting.
What did you guys think?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started reading it from all the positive comments on this board. I stopped reading ~80 pages into it because it was terribly written.

If you have an idea for a book, fantastic. Doesn't mean you should be a writer, however.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I enjoyed the book when I read it. The first part of the book is slower then usual but I thought it had some nice action in it after this part of the book. I also took it for fiction so didnt pay much attention to the things that seemed unrealistic. That coupled with the ease that it sadly takes to entertain me I really liked the book. I tend to not look so far into books for cons though, and try to pay attention to the stuff I like.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I liked the book well enough and demonstrates the resourcefulness of a community. I am sure our communities have hidden skills should we need them.

Comparing it to Patriots is kind of an apple to an orange. so to speak. I think both were fairly realistic about the collapses that happened in their respective stories. An EMP, like in Lights Out, would be slow building because people would just dismiss it as the power being out for whatever reason.

Patriots is probably closer what we will experience given the stability of the current markets. Hyperinflation would readily send people into a panic. $60 a gallon gas and $100 a gallon milk will freak people out fairly quickly.

Lights Out is more of a story with character developement, plot, climax, and things of that nature. Patriots is actually more of a guide book within a certain backdrop. Sure there are characters, but the rarely change and the book is full of technical information that you can actually use.

Both are good reads and are reccomended

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
It was written by an amateur...I think it was ok well enough...yes someone that writes for a living could have done better.

The fact that it was coherent and thought provoking about how it might all go down...civilization won't instantly collapse...but a few days and missed meals and good people will do desperate things.

It does start slowly...but really builds up once it all goes to crap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts