Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This particular rifle was dedicated from the ground up to be a 25-600 yard capable, all purpose, night and day, fighting rifle.

The base rifle is

BCM 14.5" Midlength
Larue 9" Rail
AAC Brakeout
Gunfighter Mod 4 CH
TA31 ACOG
PEQ15
Surefire M600C

LMT Defender 2000 Complete Lower
UBR Stock
VCAS Sling
MIAD Grip

I went with the 9" rail and FSP over a 10 or 12" rail due to the reliability given by keeping the FSP in place both with the gas block staying in place and the zero retention of the front sight. In any case, I was not moving to a longer handguard.

My main issue was the placement of the light and laser. Even on a 9" handguard there was no room with the Surefire dual pressure pad.

I have been using the IR laser at the rear of the 12:00 rail for many years. Its how I prefer to keep the weight balanced as well as snag free and out of the way. It is nice and well placed there. However after speaking with a few experts I realized I was not using the laser to its full potential. Not only is it easier to get parallel to the trajectory while forward mounted, it is less dangerous for your eyes having IR Splash reflected back to you.

Then I moved the pressure pad forward, and this worked well but the pad for the light was the one furthest out and most uncomfortable to access. The light would be used more often than the laser and this was unacceptable. Also, I ran into the issue of having IR Splash from the laser at the rear still.

Finally, I took the advice of the experts. I spent a few nights with some professionals learning how to get optimum use out of my night equipment and I finally understood the concept "KISS" does not apply only to entire rifles, it applies to everything. I had so many wires and switches and pads and accessories that I was sacrificing the capability of my laser for my habitual use of mounting it at the rear of the rail. When I moved it forward I saw the light, pun intended.

Anyway, this is what I ended up with and its what I currently recommend. I have $120 invested in that pressure pad setup, it was hard doing away with it but I'm glad I did. The simplicity and effectiveness of the laser is vastly improved over the complicated way I was using it previously.

This is my favorite rifle by far, I get 2 MOA groups with M855 out to 300 yards with this, and COM shots at 565 yards are easily accomplished.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
What length and type of barrel? That is impressive performance! I am envious. This is one more argument in my mind that I need an ACOG. Well done... Good write up, too. Thanks.

joe

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Looks good...:)

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
you have a pm

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
This particular rifle was dedicated from the ground up to be a 25-600 yard capable, all purpose, night and day, fighting rifle.

The base rifle is

BCM 14.5" Midlength
Larue 9" Rail
AAC Brakeout
Gunfighter Mod 4 CH
TA31 ACOG
PEQ15
Surefire M600C

LMT Defender 2000 Complete Lower
UBR Stock
VCAS Sling
MIAD Grip

I went with the 9" rail and FSP over a 10 or 12" rail due to the reliability given by keeping the FSP in place both with the gas block staying in place and the zero retention of the front sight. In any case, I was not moving to a longer handguard.

My main issue was the placement of the light and laser. Even on a 9" handguard there was no room with the Surefire dual pressure pad.

I have been using the IR laser at the rear of the 12:00 rail for many years. Its how I prefer to keep the weight balanced as well as snag free and out of the way. It is nice and well placed there. However after speaking with a few experts I realized I was not using the laser to its full potential. Not only is it easier to get parallel to the trajectory while forward mounted, it is less dangerous for your eyes having IR Splash reflected back to you.

Then I moved the pressure pad forward, and this worked well but the pad for the light was the one furthest out and most uncomfortable to access. The light would be used more often than the laser and this was unacceptable. Also, I ran into the issue of having IR Splash from the laser at the rear still.

Finally, I took the advice of the experts. I spent a few nights with some professionals learning how to get optimum use out of my night equipment and I finally understood the concept "KISS" does not apply only to entire rifles, it applies to everything. I had so many wires and switches and pads and accessories that I was sacrificing the capability of my laser for my habitual use of mounting it at the rear of the rail. When I moved it forward I saw the light, pun intended.

Anyway, this is what I ended up with and its what I currently recommend. I have $120 invested in that pressure pad setup, it was hard doing away with it but I'm glad I did. The simplicity and effectiveness of the laser is vastly improved over the complicated way I was using it previously.

This is my favorite rifle by far, I get 2 MOA groups with M855 out to 300 yards with this, and COM shots at 565 yards are easily accomplished.
Nice rifle. I would personally get rid of the first front sight and get a low pro gas block then put a Troy TRX 13 inch rail on your gun. It will be lighter and free up more space. Larue rails are solid but heavy. I am going to ditch the one on my stealth soon.

Here is how I have my patrol rifle set up with a 14.5 inch barrel.

My 3 gun rifle with a 18 inch barrel at a 15 inch Troy TRX.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice rifle. I would personally get rid of the first front sight and get a low pro gas block then put a Troy TRX 13 inch rail on your gun. It will be lighter and free up more space. Larue rails are solid but heavy. I am going to ditch the one on my stealth soon.

Here is how I have my patrol rifle set up with a 14.5 inch barrel.

My 3 gun rifle with a 18 inch barrel at a 15 inch Troy TRX.
Weight really isn't an issue, at least not to warrant a switch to a completely new rail system as most of my work is done in a vehicle. I have done many all day carbine shoots with this and while its heavier than say, a 10.5" SBR it works for what I need it to do.

Speaking of 10.5" SBRs, I am almost done with my dedicated suppressed setup. The gas port is .062" and will have a Centurion Arms 9" rail. It gets delivered tomorrow :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts