Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked into a local shop yesterday and noticed a whole rack of 91/30's and M44's for $99.00 a piece with accessories and bayonet. I found some surplus ammo online at Sportsman's Guide at a price I can't refuse. My birthday is on the 29th.

If they want to jack the prices on AK's fine with me, I'm just gonna buy 2 of it's cousin, accessories, and about 800 rounds of ammo at the same price they want for a gun that's been cut up and pieced together to begin with.

Just a little perspective... Semi autos are nice, and may become scarce, but you'll get a lot farther shooting a gun you have ammo for than a gun you can't afford to buy ammo for because the front end of the sale was too heavy.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Very true, It took the election of Obama to get me to buy an AK...something I COULD have bought years ago but was not interested. Now..rices on ARs and AKs has gotten crazy.

Truth is, I may HAVE the AK, but most of the time, I'll take out a Mauser or lever action to carry on the ATV and shoot or hunt with.

Yes, you can get a deal on a revolver or boltgun right now and I have never seen such a nice group of 98K 8mm Mausers as I see in all these Russian capture pieces. Grab one now and a case of 1000 rounds while you can. They're the only sector of firearms that has NOT gone nuts in pricing....and probably won't be affected by any sort of ban.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They also have a few nice used Marlin 30-30's there, but they want $30 for a box of 20 rounds. A lot of guns out there I wish I had, but no real expectation that I could ever afford to shoot a lot of them. It's kind of backwards in my mind that the ammunition we produce domestically would be so much more expensive than the ammunition produced abroad. I hope that at some point in the future we can get back to standing on our feet rather than on our heads when it comes to things that are made here and should be less expensive and easier to find.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Unfortunately, your complacent attitude towards gun rights is shared by many. "They can take that gun away, because I don't like it." We gave away our rights to machine guns, and now we can't purchase any made after 1986 (I believe that year is right). We thought if they had that, they would be done. Then they went after semi-autos that were scary looking and could hold more than 10 rounds. We allowed that because we thought that would make them happy. Now Obama wants a Clinton ban on steroids. Next will be your bolt actions. Those bayonets will definetly be banned.

Remember that the purpose of the Second Amendment was to assure that "We the People" kept control of the government. Its not to make sure we have plinking guns or hunting rifles. It is to assure that we are not defensless sheep to our own government.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Oh Dear Lord here we go.
Yup!

Asking a question to clarify someone's post and position is often a good, though underutilized tactic before responding in such a fashion.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Sorry, I'll calm down. I'm just still peeved over the number of gunners who fall for this BS. But I'm calm now, really I am. :)

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I'll calm down. I'm just still peeved over the number of gunners who fall for this BS. But I'm calm now, really I am. :)
Now hold on a minute. I did not say that it was ok for them to ban anything, and have proposed more than once that any restriction on the 2nd amendment is contrary to basic human rights. I'm not complacent, I'm looking for a silver lining. There is a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
30 bucks for a box of 30-30? I did not know Neimans sold ammo...LOL!

Seriously, all our Wal Marts sell federal or Winchester 30-30 shells at about 10-13 dollars a box. The LeverRevolution stuff is around 20 bucks a box.

Shop around....seriously! 30-30 ammo should never be 30 bucks a box unless is Norma or some oter exotic flavor.

(not necesary..the cheapo stuff wirks great in the average 30-30)

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
30 bucks for a box of 30-30? I did not know Neimans sold ammo...LOL!

Seriously, all our Wal Marts sell federal or Winchester 30-30 shells at about 10-13 dollars a box. The LeverRevolution stuff is around 20 bucks a box.

Shop around....seriously! 30-30 ammo should never be 30 bucks a box unless is Norma or some oter exotic flavor.

(not necesary..the cheapo stuff wirks great in the average 30-30)

- brickboy240
+1, no need for the expensive stuff in a 30-30, as long as you use it in the limits of the round (deer within about 250 yards). I would never pay more than 15 bucks a box.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They also have a few nice used Marlin 30-30's there, but they want $30 for a box of 20 rounds. A lot of guns out there I wish I had, but no real expectation that I could ever afford to shoot a lot of them. It's kind of backwards in my mind that the ammunition we produce domestically would be so much more expensive than the ammunition produced abroad. I hope that at some point in the future we can get back to standing on our feet rather than on our heads when it comes to things that are made here and should be less expensive and easier to find.
... I've never paid anywhere near $20 a box for 30-30, much less $30 a box. The last time I was given a box of .30-30 (with a receipt) it only cost $13.97.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Not to flog a dead horse on the 2A ,but I don't understand how a supreme court judge who is supposed to be well educated doesn't know the definition of infringe.
INFRINGE;impair ,violate,to transgress,destroy, hinder, encroach, infract, intrude,invade,trespass
Maybe we should send certain of their honors dictionaries with the applicable definitions highlited.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not to flog a dead horse on the 2A ,but I don't understand how a supreme court judge who is supposed to be well educated doesn't know the definition of infringe.
INFRINGE;impair ,violate,to transgress,destroy, hinder, encroach, infract, intrude,invade,trespass
Maybe we should send certain of their honors dictionaries with the applicable definitions highlited.
LOL nice.

As to the topic at hand, I bought a WASR 10/63 early last year for $200, its been shot twice, and once wasn't by me. For the most part it just sits in its original box in the safe. I just bought it to have a AK lol.

I bought a Saiga 12 a week ago, did the pistol grip conversion on it, and have no plans of shooting it anytime soon.

I've built 3 AR's, they sit in the safe. 99% of the time when I go shooting, I take my one of my 1911's, my M44, and my cheap Savage .22lr

They are the most fun, the recoil for a Nagant is well just awesome.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
After shooting 3" shotgun slugs - I don't pay much attention to the M44 recoil:cool:

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
True.

To those that are used to rimfires and the 223/5.56...yeah...the M44 seems like a huge kicker.

But to those that shoot 12ga slugs, a 45-70 or a 300 Win Mag...the M44 is just not all that ferocious.

I'd also rather shoot 20 rounds through my M44 than 10 through my M95 Steyr 8x56mm carbine....that thing is brutal.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I dont care what anyone says, a 3" slug out of an 870 synthetic pump (or similar light gun) sighting in off a bench is the most punishing thing to shoot. I remember when i was younger, the first time i saw an 870 shoot a 3" slug the recoil kicked the bolt back and was shucking hulls like a semi. Now, thats what i deer hunt, because they are lethal out of a scoped rifled barrel. Plus CHEAP, well not the sabots i shoot, but the gun. Followed closely by a 300 weatherby mag off a bench is brutal too. I used to not mind it, but i think im getting old. I sight in mine and my dad's every thanksgiving and that yellow shoulder is sore clear through deer season!! But, this year i bought a Lead Sled, now those things are slick. No shooter shoulder this Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After shooting a 3 1/2 inch magnum 12 gauge from a bolt-action with a 36" barrel, and shooting a pretty decent amount out of an M44, I don't worry about the M44. The big turkey gun still gives me nightmares though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts