Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308
Bell Carlson Medalist A5 Stock in OD web
Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50mm
EGW 20 MOA HD base
Burris XTR 30mm rings Medium
Kinetic Research Group Bolt Lift
Harris 6-9" Bipod

Installed with adjusted cheek height and length of pull to my shooting position:

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Are you going to bed the stock? That looks awesome. I have the same rifle and love it.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you going to bed the stock? That looks awesome. I have the same rifle and love it.
I havent bedded it, might look into doing that. All I did was take the old stock off, put the new one on, torqued to 55 in-lbs.

Nice stick. How heavy is the stock?
I weighed the stock last night, its 5lbs 5.6oz. The Hogue stock is 2 lbs 7oz or so. Entire setup is about 14 lbs

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I weighed the stock last night, its 5lbs 5.6oz. The Hogue stock is 2 lbs 7oz or so. Entire setup is about 14 lbs
Interesting. I was looking at that same stock for when I rebarrel. I went with a thumbhole lamjnate and its getting a bit beat up. Looks great but I might have to get something lighter. That's almost 2 lbs heavier than my stock and my rifle is already 13.2 lbs.

Looks good though.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Great Setup!
I bought one a while back, then sold it to finance a 1911. I never even shot it!
Now I have a house and a wife.. lets just say I am so Jelly

BTW, for the win. lolz i get it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very nice, Ive got almost the same exact set up except using the elite 4200 3x12 scope.

Right now experimenting with different loads trying to figure out what works best for a 100yard zero in it, AND has enough velocity I can play with at 1,000 yards...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Well geez....that what I want mine to look like ;) My tactical is on layaway, so i'm searching for glass and mounts for now. I like it!

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
installed an Armstech extended magazine floorplate last night. $20 mod that increases the magazine capacity from 4 to 7 using the existing follower and spring. Got it from Midway. Had to do some fitting to get it in but its just filing/sandpapering plastic.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to the range to find the best ammo for my precision build, here are the results. Each target was for a particular ammo with 10 shot groups @ 100 yards. The winner is pretty obvious the Federal Gold Medal Match. I may try the Federal GMM in 175gr to see if its any better than 168gr. I'm still working on my technique, pretty new to precision builds so theres gonna be a couple flyers.

Is it safe to assume that here since the GMM was the best out of this 168grain test that it will be the best if this test was repeated with 175grain version? Or is it possible that one of the non Federal GMM ammo tested would be better than GMM when switched to175gr?

Im surprised at the Prvi Partizan Match also, it is by far the cheapest match ammo out of the match ammo tested at around $15-16 a box, the other ammo brands were $20-25

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Is it safe to assume that here since the GMM was the best out of this 168grain test that it will be the best if this test was repeated with 175grain version? Or is it possible that one of the non Federal GMM ammo tested would be better than GMM when switched to175gr?
No. You can't make that assumption. Mine shoots Remington followed by BH best in 168 but CorBon groups better when using 175s. I've also found that my 700 hates 168Amax at any distance but will shoot 175gr Amax pretty good past 400 yards.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will be trying out the following on the next outing, but it wont be for a couple weeks.
HSM 168gr BTHP
HSM 175gr BTHP
Hornady Match Superformance 178gr HPBT
Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr
Federal OTM 168gr
Fiocchi 175gr Matchking
Prvi Partizan 175gr HPBT
Black Hills 175gr HPBT

1 - 20 of 22 Posts