Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update - painted it!

After hours of wrenching on the .223 barrel, I managed my first bolt-gun barrel install with a new 300 BLK barrel by AAC. The scope will eventually be replaced, but for now it'll work for load development. I've worked up some loads using Unique and the 220 gr SMKs. Stock is a Bell and Carlson Light Tactical. Scope is a Weaver V-series for now.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Range report for your groups please. I've been putting some serious consideration into building an SBR 300 Blackout for HD and fun shooting, as well as using it as an excuse to buy and use a reloading setup.

·
Registered
19,690 Posts
that barrel looks a bit on the short side. how long is it? Is the gun just for load development, or do you have other plans for it as well?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
that barrel looks a bit on the short side. how long is it? Is the gun just for load development, or do you have other plans for it as well?
I was thinking the same thing. How much barrel do you need for proper powder burn on a 300 Blackout cartridge?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
16" barrel, 1:8 twist. Optimized for subsonic loads. Target velocity is only about 1040 fps, so there's plenty of barrel. The fun of the 300 Blk is that you can also load lighter bullets up to about 7.62x39mm balistics, making it a great short-medium range hog or deer gun.

No other plans, other than adding my AAC can when I get my stamp back.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Setup looks sweet! How is the supply of 300 blackout ammo nowadays? Are you planning on reloading? Honestly, that is probably the only thing keeping me from building a 300 blackout upper for my SBR.

Good looking dog too! My schnauzer always tries to get in my gun pics lol.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Setup looks sweet! How is the supply of 300 blackout ammo nowadays?
Pretty good - you can get the 220 gr subs, or the light OTMs at Midway. Hornady's 110 gr Whisper load works well also.

Are you planning on reloading? Honestly, that is probably the only thing keeping me from building a 300 blackout upper for my SBR.
Yup, I reload the 220 gr subs now, and am thinking of the 125 gr Nosler ballistic tips as a hunting round.

Good looking dog too! My schnauzer always tries to get in my gun pics lol.
Thanks - she's awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts