Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted in here earlier about my new XDm 3.8 compact shooting low.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/183711-new-3-8-compact.html
I just wanted to say thanks to everybody who commented and told me the problem was probably me, and not my gun. I went out today through a little trial and error I figured out that I have been anticipating the recoil, and it was causing me to shoot low.
I guess I just knew that in the past I have been a better shot, so the problem couldn't be with me. (I was wrong) I can now put the lead on paper where I want it, with some type of accuracy. Im just going to need more practice with my gun!:p I can also see that I am pulling to the left, but I know that this is my fault. I tend to wrap my support had pointer finger around the trigger guard and this causes me to pull left. Again, more practice!
Thanks again everybody!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Is this the part where I say I told you so?
:)

Just Kidding

Glad you got it figured out......I really didn't think there was a way for the gun to be off that much.

Once in a blue moon the sights are off slightly left or right, but 6-10 inches high would be a huge oops

Good luck in your future endeavors

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sweet......nice looking group. Thanks for the update and for working through the issue. I'm getting excited at the thought of my first day at the range....:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is this the part where I say I told you so?
:)

Just Kidding

Glad you got it figured out......I really didn't think there was a way for the gun to be off that much.

Once in a blue moon the sights are off slightly left or right, but 6-10 inches high would be a huge oops

Good luck in your future endeavors
I know Im a better shot than I was shooting, so I guess I wanted the problem to be the gun, not me. I just need to get used to the new gun. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
I know Im a better shot than I was shooting, so I guess I wanted the problem to be the gun, not me. I just need to get used to the new gun. Thanks for the help!
I was impressed you had some other people try it first....that's a good first step in trouble shooting.........

Hopefully you and "M" will continue to be good friends.......

·
Registered
340 Posts
Same problem I had when I first got my XDm. I'm guessing it was because it was my first gun and I learned to shoot with this gun, but it started out that I shot low every shot. I couldn't figure out exactly what I was doing wrong, although I knew it was something I was doing while learning how to shoot.

Finally figured it out one day that I was anticipating the recoil. I knew exactly when the shot was going to fire, and would slightly pull the gun down right as the shot fired and caused every shot to go low. I started just watching my front dot to line up the shot, and then pulling the trigger VERY slow while singing to myself (not out loud) to make sure I wasn't paying any attention to when the shot was going to fire. That fixed my problem.

I've gotten over the problem since then

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally figured it out one day that I was anticipating the recoil. I knew exactly when the shot was going to fire, and would slightly pull the gun down right as the shot fired and caused every shot to go low. I started just watching my front dot to line up the shot, and then pulling the trigger VERY slow while singing to myself (not out loud) to make sure I wasn't paying any attention to when the shot was going to fire. That fixed my problem.
Thats pretty much what I had to do. I had to remember back when I was learning to shoot and my dad taught me take a deep breath, let it half way out then S-L-O-W-L-Y squeeze the trigger.
Another problem I had was when I first started shooting this gun and I knew it was off, I was able to compensate for my own wrongdoing and hit the targets (we were shooting steel targets). Its just going to take more time, because I still have to concentrate of what im doing while shooting. Its not second nature yet.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I had to remember back when I was learning to shoot and my dad taught me take a deep breath, let it half way out then S-L-O-W-L-Y squeeze the trigger.
He didn't happen to learn to shoot while in the military did he? This is exactly the same thing my dad told me. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts