Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I used to carry without one in the chamber, I did a lot of training to suit defensive situations, one of those was racking the slide and chambering a round one handed.

Some think it can't be done without using some sort of object (belt, etc) , so I made a little video slowed down for demonstration purposes.

This one shows both strong and weak side using my XDM and PM9, just to make it more difficult for myself I used my weak side to rack the slide of the PM9, it's more difficult because the slide is shorter and it's a tougher slide to pull, not to mention they are known to nose dive if not racked using the slide release.

I intentionally used live ammo instead of snap caps to avoid the argument that it's somehow easier with snap caps than live ammo, this is the real deal using live hollow points. That said, when I practice at home I do use snap caps.

With some practice you can become pretty quick at this method, and it was part of my draw at one time.

http://youtu.be/5vLWP3-JhsA

·
Super Moderator
22,195 Posts
My, my what girly hands you have:p

You know I have never tried to do a one hand rack on my 1911. You ever done it on a 1911?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trying to remember if I tried it on the 1911 or not. Based on my experience it should be possible, but the hammer might cause extra resistance.

Posted from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because I believe you should train yourself for as many self defense situations as you are able to, what if you have to rack a round one handed (one arm disabled, gun malfunction, anything).

Why limit yourself to the best case scenario?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If it was truly a one handed rack you didn't accomplish it because although you racked the slide with one hand you used the other hand to grab the pistol once it was racked. If it's a disabled hand how can you grap the gun? Much easier to use a belt, pant, shoe or something else to do a truly one handed rack. As far as carrying with out a round chambered, it's not something I would ever do so there's no need to train for that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks as though the cat approves...

Thanks for the video, it appears it can be done with some practice. I carry with one in the pipe so while I may never encounter a stituation where I might need this techniique, well who am I kidding I don't know what the future holds.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
If it was truly a one handed rack you didn't accomplish it because although you racked the slide with one hand you used the other hand to grab the pistol once it was racked. If it's a disabled hand how can you grap the gun? Much easier to use a belt, pant, shoe or something else to do a truly one handed rack. As far as carrying with out a round chambered, it's not something I would ever do so there's no need to train for that.
Seriously?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Yup..
I agree, if it takes two hands to discharge a round, why call it a one handed rack?

I carried with an empty chamber for two days.
That was plenty long enough to figure out the gun will not discharge without pulling the trigger.

Did you really not think the anti-empty chamber guys would check in..?
Seriously?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
My, my what girly hands you have:p

You know I have never tried to do a one hand rack on my 1911. You ever done it on a 1911?
Yes, it works...just be careful NOT to do it on bare skin :shock::shock:

After watching the video..hmm...one handed rack consists of hanging sights in clothing or on belt and racking slide that way (in case of emergency) Never see the squeeze the slide like a cow teet before?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
It is a cool trick and what not but IDK how practical in real world scenario. I would think it would be faster to use other means (Belt, Shoe, Ex..) and have your gun already in your hand and ready to use.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
fun to watch demo, thanks for taking time to video and post

might be interesting to see this from holster - draw with strong hand, grab with other hand, do the cow teet squeeze, back to strong hand, get sights on target, pull trigger

but more likely might be: draw with strong hand, grab with other hand, get hit with badguy's bullet, not able to do the cow teet squeeze, not able to put back to strong hand, not able to get sights on target, not able to pull trigger, die in pool of own sheet and blood, or at best go to hospital

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think some of you are taking it the wrong way, I was only demonstrating how to rack the round with one hand, I wasn't concerned about only using one hand for the whole process, but it's certainly possible because I've done it many times.

The point of the video is only to show my technique of racking a round into the chamber one handed.

This isn't only for those who carry unchambered, I carry with a round in the pipe but still practice this method because you just don't know what the future holds.

Prime example:
You're in a bad situation and your magazine is empty, as you insert another magazine your hand gets disabled somehow or your in a situation where you can't move anything but the hand you're holding the gun with, this technique will at least give you a fighting chance on getting a round chambered with only one hand.

The more tricks I have in my bag the better off I'll be, you stick to training in perfect scenarios if you'd like - I just put this out there for anyone who could find something to gain from it. Regardless what you think about carrying without a round in the chamber, there are people out there that are just not comfortable with it (or in a state where it's not allowed). There are many situations where this could help someone, and I hope someone at least finds some way that it could help them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
don't get me wrong, I'm all about training and being prepared...but carrying a pistol without one in the chamber is foolish. I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you have to use deadly force. it will take far too long to chamber a round and fire. I promise the BG will have his gun loaded.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I carry chambered, thought that point was made early on, but there are those who do not or cannot, and other scenarios this could help with.

If you don't find it useful, fine - there are others who do.

Thanks for all the comments folks!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
My point is there are better ways to cycle a round in the chamber with just one hand. Faster and it doesn't involve letting to of the grip. That's how I practice one handed drills.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have video of it, only using your one hand? I said it before and I guess is have to say it again, but I do not have to let go of the gun or use my other hand. Initially I just wanted to show the gun was empty, then my only intent was to show how I rack it one handed. The web of your hand is in perfect position for gripping the firearm, all you do is move your four fingers down, not hard at all.

Don't like it or can't do it, fine :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.