Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have something on the XDm 3.8 compact OSP that is newer than 9m to 3 years ago? Just got mine yesterday (6/10/2021) and need some advice on the 14 round mag with extended base that is not extended enough. Anyone make a "pinky" extended base or plus 1 or 2 or 3 for the Xdm Elite mags that would give me a little more purchase?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
^ @Dewdropper - Does the magazine base-pad bottom-out against the grip frame, or are you getting a bit of upward over travel upon mag insertion?

The reason I ask is because our XDms lack a true over-insertion stop: over time, the top cartridge or even the magazine feed lip contacting the ejector can cause a bit of damage, which may (or may not) translate into a functional issue ( Xdm 4.5 10mm Ejector Chip/gouged? ).

There is always just a tiny bit of play and some level of contact, even with the standard Compact frame and its shortened magazine or the full-size frame and the standard-capacity magazine, but the frame itself provides the hard-stop against the matching base-pad. This is also one reason the X-Tensions are used, for when the full-sized magazine is used with a Compact frame.

I've yet to put my hands to the Compact Elites.... wondering if you see anything?

If you're interested, you'll want to insert a top-round dummy-cartridge/snap-cap loaded magazine into the gun with the slide removed, and push up on the base of the magazine to see the extent of its potential interference with the bottom of the ejector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
^ @Dewdropper - Does the magazine base-pad bottom-out against the grip frame, or are you getting a bit of upward over travel upon mag insertion?

The reason I ask is because our XDms lack a true over-insertion stop: over time, the top cartridge or even the magazine feed lip contacting the ejector can cause a bit of damage, which may (or may not) translate into a functional issue ( Xdm 4.5 10mm Ejector Chip/gouged? ).

There is always just a tiny bit of play and some level of contact, even with the standard Compact frame and its shortened magazine or the full-size frame and the standard-capacity magazine, but the frame itself provides the hard-stop against the matching base-pad. This is also one reason the X-Tensions are used, for when the full-sized magazine is used with a Compact frame.

I've yet to put my hands to the Compact Elites.... wondering if you see anything?

If you're interested, you'll want to insert a top-round dummy-cartridge/snap-cap loaded magazine into the gun with the slide removed, and push up on the base of the magazine to see the extent of its potential interference with the bottom of the ejector.

Hi,
I think I understand what you’re describing and asking. Excuse my lack of experience. This is my first firearm that I had the mess with the grip for comfort. This is the 14-round magazine that is standard for this model. The mag sits tight and has no movement, up, down or side to side, but I am applying pressure from my pinky while gripping the magazine base pad. There is no upward movement with the mag such as the top of the magazine interfering with the slide. I was concerned about issues and contacted SA customer service. They say there is no issue running it without the swelled mag well. I hope they’re right, because I was concerned about keeping this firearm. I just picked this up last month and put 200 rounds through it last week, without any issues.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
^ If the magazine is locking in well, with minimal extra upward movement even as you continue to push up after it has inserted and is locked into place via the mag-catch, you should be good-to-go. (y) I'm guessing that slight two-tier "step" of the magazine's base-pad allows it to interface in a hard-stop manner with the grip frame's bottom edge.

There will always be a bit of up/down play, which is necessary for proper function of the mag catch mechanism, but the idea is that it is not excessive so as to avoid either the top cartridge or even the magazine's feed-lip repeatedly hitting the ejector with more force than what the designers had intended.

To see the difference for yourself, field-strip the gun so that you're working only with the lower/frame, and insert a top-round dummy-round/snap-cap Compact-type magazine versus a full-sized standard-capacity magazine that's similarly loaded, and once the magazine has locked into place via the mag-catch, press "up" on the magazine via the base-plate, and observe how the top cartridge and/or the feed-lip may/may not impinge on the ejector. The difference is subtle, and typically it may not even cause an acute issue - but repeated, forceful impacts (such as via typical full-speed emergency/slide-lock reloads) can potentially inflict the type of damage seen in the referenced thread in my post above. With the full-size magazine's extra upward path unrestricted by the "bottoming out" of the base-pad's travel as with the Compact size mag, this extra bit of impact can become a concern, particularly over time.

Unfortunately, our XDms are not constructed in the manner of Glocks, as demonstrated by the late Paul Gomez in this video:

Hope this helps clarify!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my XD-M Elite 3.8" Compact OSP for about a month now. I've had it to the range three times, and I really like it. I mounted a Holosun 507C red dot on it. I wish that the firearm allowed you to mount a red dot without the use of a plate (so the optics doesn't sit so high and you could co-witness with the sights), but that's really my only issue with the firearm.
I saw a video on Youtube while I was researching the firearm about using additional XD-M mags with it. In the video, the guy showed how to remove the magwell and then use multiple other XD-M mags in the XD-M Elite. Before taking his word for it, I contacted Springfield, and they confirmed that you can use other XD-M mags in the XD-M Elite 3.8" OSP. Based on Springfield's recommendations, I used the discount you get for registering with Springfield and purchased 2 19 round Compact Extended mags (XDM50191), 1 additional XD-M Elite Compact 14 round mag (XDME5914), and 1 XD-M Elite 22 round mag. All of these mags seat properly with the magwell removed and work without issue in the XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've had my XD-M Elite 3.8" Compact OSP for about a month now. I've had it to the range three times, and I really like it. I mounted a Holosun 507C red dot on it. I wish that the firearm allowed you to mount a red dot without the use of a plate (so the optics doesn't sit so high and you could co-witness with the sights), but that's really my only issue with the firearm.
I saw a video on Youtube while I was researching the firearm about using additional XD-M mags with it. In the video, the guy showed how to remove the magwell and then use multiple other XD-M mags in the XD-M Elite. Before taking his word for it, I contacted Springfield, and they confirmed that you can use other XD-M mags in the XD-M Elite 3.8" OSP. Based on Springfield's recommendations, I used the discount you get for registering with Springfield and purchased 2 19 round Compact Extended mags (XDM50191), 1 additional XD-M Elite Compact 14 round mag (XDME5914), and 1 XD-M Elite 22 round mag. All of these mags seat properly with the magwell removed and work without issue in the XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact.
You can in fact mount an optic on this gun without the use of a plate. However, what this takes is an optic with holes which matches the holes on the gun - a good example is the Trijicon SRO. All you need is the two screws.

The gun also appears to be compatible with the old XDSC 13 round mags without removing the magwell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can in fact mount an optic on this gun without the use of a plate. However, what this takes is an optic with holes which matches the holes on the gun - a good example is the Trijicon SRO. All you need is the two screws.
Do you know that from experience or just speculation? I'm asking because I thought the SRO has the same mounting pattern as the Holosun 507c. Maybe I was missing something, but I couldn't get my Holosun 507c to mount on the XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact OSP without the mounting plate. According to Springfield's webpage for the mounting plate (XD-M® OSP™ Optics Mounting Plate - Trijicon® / Holosun®), the same plate I used for my Holosun 507c is also used for the Trijicon RMR or SRO.
Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you know that from experience or just speculation? I'm asking because I thought the SRO has the same mounting pattern as the Holosun 507c. Maybe I was missing something, but I couldn't get my Holosun 507c to mount on the XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact OSP without the mounting plate. According to Springfield's webpage for the mounting plate (XD-M® OSP™ Optics Mounting Plate - Trijicon® / Holosun®), the same plate I used for my Holosun 507c is also used for the Trijicon RMR or SRO.
Thanks.
Sorry, my mistake, I looked at the gun without the optic and thought that it could be directly mounted because Trijicon's kit for the gun was just two screws and no plates. Now that I got the cover off the gun, it is clear that the SRO cannot be directly mounted on to the gun but needs a plate which I have now ordered.

One question I have for you is can you please tell me how long it took you to get the plate - their e-mail said 4 to 6 weeks....:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry, my mistake, I looked at the gun without the optic and thought that it could be directly mounted because Trijicon's kit for the gun was just two screws and no plates. Now that I got the cover off the gun, it is clear that the SRO cannot be directly mounted on to the gun but needs a plate which I have now ordered.

One question I have for you is can you please tell me how long it took you to get the plate - their e-mail said 4 to 6 weeks....:eek:
Shoot - I was hoping you were onto something I missed; I was ready to take the Holosun off this afternoon after work to see if I could direct mount it.

Yeah I got the long delay thing for the plate too. It actually arrived less than a week after I ordered it. I think I ordered it on a Sat or Sun, and it was delivered in time for me to mount the optic before I went to the range the next Friday.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Shoot - I was hoping you were onto something I missed; I was ready to take the Holosun off this afternoon after work to see if I could direct mount it.

Yeah I got the long delay thing for the plate too. It actually arrived less than a week after I ordered it. I think I ordered it on a Sat or Sun, and it was delivered in time for me to mount the optic before I went to the range the next Friday.
Sorry for the confusion and getting your hopes up.... I think the reason the thick plates is because you need some thickness to allow the optic to screw down into. I think the only way to co-witness is with suppressor height sights which I really do not want. Mine will be mostly a competition gun so the sights will not be used (hopefully) and I hear that tall sights are distracting enough that some serious competitors actually take all the front sights off.

Thanks for the encouraging news about the plate - it would be super if it shows up in a week!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts