Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new XD .40 Service bitone model last night, but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. Due to prior obligations, I won't be able to go to the range until Sunday afternoon. I think I'm going to cry.

Forgive the stock photo, but I was too lazy to photograph my new baby last night.

I noticed a couple of peculiarities with this gun. First, two of the twelve-round magazines have 12 "count" holes in the back, but one only has four holes. Is this normal? I can post pictures tonight if necessary.

Second, I now wholeheartedly understand what you guys mean when you talk about "stiff springs" in the magazines. For the life of me, I absolutely could not get a tenth round inserted, let alone an eleventh or twelfth. I'll be ordering a speed loader from PistolGear tonight, that's for sure. I noticed they offer two speedloaders, but the better looking one is perpetually out of stock. Are these worthwhile investments?

Third, the `free' case that came with this setup is quite possibly the cheapest gun case I've ever seen. Seriously, every time I pick this thing up, I feel like I'm going to break it. I realize this thing was sorta free, but I paid extra money to buy a firearm with the kit online since the offer was over. This case is garbage. Oh well, aluminum attache cases are cheap these days.

Fourth, there is a scratch on the breakdown lever that is quite noticeable, but it isn't severe enough to warrant much concern. If this thing starts to rust, will Springfield send me a new lever? Is this something I could replace myself? I'd hate to send in the whole pistol just for one small part.

I'll post my range report when I make it out to my favorite shooting hole!

-James

·
Registered
539 Posts
I hope you don't talk like that where your new XD can hear. What do you expect to accomplish with all that criticism? Do you want to undermine its confidence? Hurt your XD's self esteem? I heard of a guy over on Glocktalk that complained constantly about his XD's finish right in front of his XD AND in front of the rest of his entire collection. The next thing he knew his XD's Velocities dropped off by about 300 fps, and he started having FTF problems. It broke out in rust all over and he ended up trading it straight across for a Rossi .38 Snubnose. Damned shame. :?

(Wow. See what pulling an All-Nighter and then dumping triple strong coffee on top of it can do?) :roll:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No need to worry, as the XD is at home and I'm here at work (but not working, as you may have noticed)!

-James

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Take down lever is piece of cake to get out.
Put blue armordillo on it and it wont rust
The hks style loader is nice my thumbs no longer ache
The mags where so kind off running change I have one of each
Enjoy Love and cuddle your new Xd and it will last a lifetime or two :lol:
Ps if this is a carry gun get use to scratches :shock:

·
Registered
149 Posts
" Are these worthwhile investments? "

The same thing happened to me. the more expensive speed loader was out of stock, so i bought the cheap one.

Which by the time i had gotten it, the springs were loose enough to put all twelve rounds in no problem, so it was really unnessacary for me. Just load up the mags and leave the loaded for a couple of nights, and they will be much looser, though still tight.

Though I would recommend getting a speed loader AND showing you woman how it works. I can load the mags, but my girlfriend still could not do it, unless she had a speed loader.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I like the bi-tone XD's. I really really want one, but then again I'd like to have a SC OD to match my service.
Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think any OD gun is ugly, and have yet to see any rifle, shotgun, or pistol in OD green that looked "good" to me. It is definitely a very subjective preference.

I intended to get an all-black XD, but I saw a BiTone model at a local gunstore and absolutely fell in love with it. Besides, the black and stainless steel combination matches my kitchen appliances, which should please any future wife I might come across...

...or something.

I think this is a dang sexy pistol, and even received compliments from the clerk at the store that did my FFL.

-James

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used to think the od's looked bad too. The more I looked at one the more I liked it until I just had to have one. Just got it yesterday!
Yes the hks speedloader is a must for new mags: they are a mother___
to load. Load them up and let them sit full. It will soften the springs somewhat over time and they will eventually get easier to load. Enjoy your new toy!!
As far as the mag styles,I think it is just a change in production.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Meta4 said:
Second, I now wholeheartedly understand what you guys mean when you talk about "stiff springs" in the magazines. For the life of me, I absolutely could not get a tenth round inserted, let alone an eleventh or twelfth. I'll be ordering a speed loader from PistolGear tonight, that's for sure. I noticed they offer two speedloaders, but the better looking one is perpetually out of stock. Are these worthwhile investments?

-James
I don't have any problems putting 10 rounds in my mags. Little stiff, but with good technique, I can knock out 2 mags in a minute or so with little effort. Mine has only 200 rounds through it now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also have a bi-tone XD .40 and love it. :D

I've been carrying it for a few months in kydex and in a thunderwear/smart carry rig. No problems with rust or finish wear. I think it's the thing to have-why spend 50 or more on refinishing when you can have a stainless model for about the same?

The 12 rounders will break in. Mine were really bad. Just let them sit loaded all the time. At first it was hard to put a full mag into the gun with the slide forward. If you find it a real pain you may want to get a 10 rounder for range use. I use this at the range since it's easier to load and keeps me from wasting too much ammo. You can get them cheap off members in the trading post.

The old mags have three witness holes, it's the new ones that have a witness hole for each round. You just got a mix of new and old stock.

I'm thinking of buying another .40 service bi-tone before these guns get anymore popular and springfield decides to increase the price again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I, as well as others, love my XD40 service...It's bi-tone too :lol:
At first, I was struggling to get 10 rounds in each mag. But the other nite when I cleaned the gun, I somehow managed to get the extra 2 in there w/ very little struggle(for being 12 rounds). I always have my mags loaded in the case(WI sucks :x ) so the springs are getting alot easier to work with. I've put about 135 rounds thru mine so far w/ no problems at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts