Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo, I was at the Gun Show yesterday and I splurged a little and bought a M91/30 Mosin Nagant Hex Receiver built in 1931. The stamps on the receiver indicated this was built at the Tula factory. It is 48.5 inches looong - yes. 4 feet and change, and that's without the bayonet which adds another 17 inches. Now I don't know much about it and only read about it online from other people's reviews and videos.

It was an impulse buy for sure, but at $120, I could not resist. I bought a 440 round spam can and a couple boxes of soft points to justify the purchase (and a taco for lunch). I've seen these go for $75 online. Certain features command higher premium, such as Tula factory manufacture, year made (mine is 1931), hex receiver, and overall condition. I thought I had a screaming deal (another guy who was watching me as I inspect and negotiated the deal also bought one). The condition of this rifle was, IMHO, 98%. I did not even look like it's been fired at all and was heavily lubed in cosmolene. The finish of the wood looks superb. Every piece is exceptional for an 80-Year Old gun. No rust, no pitting. Light scratches on the bluing and some very little nicks on the wood finish (I suspect from it being constantly put up for display). Almost every part had some stamp on it - even the rear sight leaf spring. All the major components (wood stock, bolt, internal magazine, barrel) were serial numbered and all match except for the bayonet.

Last night, I went through the painstaking task of disassembly, cleaning, and assembly. The parts are simple and with the help of YouTube, I was able to completely disassemble down to the pins. I had a hot pot waiting in the kitchen and boiled the cosmolene away (worked out great!). Reassembly was equally easy, except for the bolt assembly, which took me a little bit to calibrate the firing pin tolerances.

Today, I took it to the range for the first time with my 8 year-old son (we brought the M&P 15-22 for him). I shot a total of 20 flawless rounds through the Mosin. I most definitely felt the recoil. And yes, it kicked like a mule. That old joke about Mosins being good for realigning dislocated shoulders caused by the previous round was not that far-fetched. It felt like it. :) But seriously, the recoil was strong but still manageable (I still have my shoulders).

Accuracy. I shot 10 rounds at 25 yards and another 10 rounds at 50 yards. I was not really going for accuracy at this point and just wanted to make sure this 80 year old gun still shoots. Well, it did not disappoint in that department. I did note that mine shoots high - not as noticeable at 25 yards, but at 50, my aim was a good 8 inches down from bullseye for me to hit it. Later on, I found out that this is by design and common to all M91/30 as it was sighted in at 300 yards out of the box and that's the lowest it can go.

Here's are some pictures after I cleaned and reassembled it. (warning - pic heavy)

·
Registered
19,974 Posts
I have been giving serious thought toward picking up a pair and a spam can or 2 of ammo, then leaving it all greased up and in long term storage.

I like the idea of having a couple of guns hidden away for dark times.
I know there would be a paper trail leading to me somewhere, but I could always claim I sold them (no requirement for a paper trail with a private sale around here yet) when the government thugs come a-lookin' and 2 cosmolene guns could be pretty easily buried in a PVC tube along with some soldered ammo cans in a root cellar or behind a wall somewhere.

even if the sky never falls for gun owners, their value can only go up from here, and they make nice wall hangers

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nice rifle. I just picked one up at a gun show last week. Haven't shot it yet. You should check out these two forums. They contain a lot of info for these rifles. Such as telling you what all the stamps mean and other interesting info.
7.62x54r.net
Gunboard's Forums

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
Nice Nagant!! I talked a buddy of mine into buying one last year. it was pretty funny, he does reenacting and apparently, he thought the $120 he paid for it was a steal, because it was a 1928, and reenactors pay a LOT more for them, when buying from each other.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Wow that's the best looking mosin I've ever seen

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I bought one and love it. Cabela's had these on sale a while back for $99 and 4 of us went and bought one each. We then proceeded to order an amount of ammo that surely got us put into a database somewhere. Every time I go to shoot I bring it along just to have fun and I still have not gone through half a spam can.

I really like mine and it shoots a lot better than I expected. All shots stay within a chest sized area at 100 yards, good enough for what it was made for.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought one and love it. Cabela's had these on sale a while back for $99 and 4 of us went and bought one each. We then proceeded to order an amount of ammo that surely got us put into a database somewhere. Every time I go to shoot I bring it along just to have fun and I still have not gone through half a spam can.

I really like mine and it shoots a lot better than I expected. All shots stay within a chest sized area at 100 yards, good enough for what it was made for.

I'm glad you like yours.

The way the parts fit together and the workmanship is impeccable on these guns - custom fitted and handmade in the true sense of the word. I cleaned it again after shooting it and I was amazed at the quality of the components. This thing it built like a rock. The design is so simple and elegant.

The russians must have some extremely good eyesight a hundred years ago as these mosins were calibrated for 300 yards without adjustments on the iron sights. Mine shoot straight (windage) and high. Point of impact is a good 6-8 inches above my point of aim.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice Nagant!! I talked a buddy of mine into buying one last year. it was pretty funny, he does reenacting and apparently, he thought the $120 he paid for it was a steal, because it was a 1928, and reenactors pay a LOT more for them, when buying from each other.
I read the earlier ones before 1930 are worth more as they were pre M91/30.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"could be pretty easily buried in a PVC tube along with some soldered ammo cans in a root cellar or behind a wall somewhere."
Great idea. I probably do this after I've had my fun with the Mosin. I don't plan to shoot it much and bought it more for it's historical and collector value. Now that I removed the cosmolene, it would take more work it keep it maintained. A sealed tube with ammo is perfect.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice rifle. I just picked one up at a gun show last week. Haven't shot it yet. You should check out these two forums. They contain a lot of info for these rifles. Such as telling you what all the stamps mean and other interesting info.
7.62x54r.net
Gunboard's Forums
I've been reading the info on those sites. Very informative. I found out mine is not a complete 1931 build at least based on the photos there. All the metal parts are original but the wood stock was post 1931.

These guns were refinished and refurbished as some point in their long history.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
could be, all i know is the gun store had all at the same price, I'll have to look into the price differences

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny thing is now I'm fixing to watch Enemy At The Gates - lots of Mosin action there. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is correct. Unmodified 1891s will bring more than the standard 91/30. I have three - 1894, 1915 and a 1916.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Someday ill get one. Everyone says how much fun they are and how inexpensive they are to buy.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someday ill get one. Everyone says how much fun they are and how inexpensive they are to buy.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
It's a lot of fun in moderation. I don't think I would want to shoot more than 40 rounds at a time. It's also interesting to see people's reactions. When I was shooting mine, the range officers were hanging around behind me and waiting for me to pull the trigger. Perhaps waiting to see the recoil effects or me losing control.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I just ordered one from Bud's, I can't wait for it to come in.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just ordered one from Bud's, I can't wait for it to come in.
Cool. Post pics. I'm interested to read your range report when you get a change to shoot it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Cool. Post pics. I'm interested to read your range report when you get a change to shoot it.
Will do, it should be in this week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts