Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up on a trade and I am very excited thus far. I am not sure when the soonest I will be able to shoot it is, however...

A few things I noticed after very little manipulation....the charging handle as a system. It is very rough to pull back (only seems to actually charge if the firearm is shouldered). It is new and unfired and I really have no way to tell what the date on it is (I know it is a Gen IV). Maybe this is going to get smoother after some rounds and break-in? I wan't to have a good idea of what has changed over time (I have read threads and stickies, so I have a good idea). Obviously the mags don't drop free....no surprise but are there options or things to do for this to be a possibility (this isn't a huge deal to me but if the info is out there, I'll listen)?

Next is the charging handle itself...I know there are various models out there (manticore comes to mind) but what would you suggest? I wasn't a fan of the raptor because of how obtrusive it seems but even with the factory optic I busted a knuckle (and I know I should start practicing with the underhand method but with how rough it is to pull back it really wasn't an option.

Rail system, what is the best one out there? From what I hear it seems to be the rail from the E4s? I plan on running a T1 on it (right now, I might change that later) and I assume the standard height Larue mount will work.

Anyways, here are the pics:

A few spaces at the bottom...I am thinking of either two 42 rounders (maybe 3 and just butch the circular cut out) or having 1 42 rounder and trying to get either a silencer or their new silenced barrel (just barrel with silencer, I believe). Of course that is a ways away and I am not that far yet...I am thinking about making the 30 rounder spaces fit a 42 rounder and just having 3-42 rounders on the left side instead of 3-30 rounders (maybe their reliability is why the previous owner bought more 30's?).

And here is the reticle on a target (my dart board). I really like the 1.5x magnification of the factory optic...but I am still going to remove it and keep it for nostalgia.

So far I really like the platform. Very compact and I actually really like the trigger on this one. I was happy about that after reading all of the complaints but even being somewhat of a trigger snob I like this trigger. Not light but it has very little creep and a smooth break.

I am a happy camper!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Instead of worrying about the charging handle and such I can just take it off your hands seems easier that way :D

Ha. For how often I shoot I want a fix for it though. I know others use the underhand method but (perhaps because it is new) the charging handle doesn't allow me to do this easily underhand. I'll likely just pick up a manticore replacement...that seems to be the most common one I see.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ha. For how often I shoot I want a fix for it though. I know others use the underhand method but (perhaps because it is new) the charging handle doesn't allow me to do this easily underhand. I'll likely just pick up a manticore replacement...that seems to be the most common one I see.
Unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience to offer but I have heard good things about the manticore. I will go back to my cave and be jealous now.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, no problem, thanks for the kind words! :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup. MSAR STG-556. They are pretty popular as far as the clones go...they have a few things the AUG's don't have as well (well, not the A3).

I will take a pic next to an SBR here soon to give an idea of the length.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of curiosity I just looked at pricing and MSRP on these are very respectable.

I got mine on a trade. I traded my HK USP Tactical with Surefire X300 and a few mags (he had the MSAR and everything above for sale at $1,200). I think the value was pretty close to even (considering that there is a wide price range of these NIB).

I'll be picking up an X300 Ultra when I can so I won't miss that and my .45 caliber can is not going to be here for at least another two months so I'll pick up a new .45acp host by then.

FWIW, I have seen the price on these fluctuate...now that MSAR is back in business the prices (and support) are going back up. I have a buddy who was telling me they are generally going for $1,300+ right now (election pending).

As I said, I am a happy camper!

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
FWIW, I have seen the price on these fluctuate...now that MSAR is back in business the prices (and support) are going back up. I have a buddy who was telling me they are generally going for $1,300+ right now (election pending).
That is good to hear! I knew they had gone in the crapper for a while, but did not know they were up and running again. I have always been fascinated by that rifle and am glad they're having another go of it. Hope it works out this time.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Completely agree. I looked hard at that as I wouldn't go with any company without customer service support (or back up parts being available).

Their website is back up and running as well (and from what I hear on ARfcom, their customer service is as good, if not better, as it ever was).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sharp looking gun buddy let us know how u like it? I am thinking of putting my 7.62x39 AR up soon might try and pick me one of these up after that

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In case anybody is wandering, I know where a guy is selling his MSAR but he is asking $1,450....and it is used....and it doesn't have an optic....or case....I messaged him and suggested he lower his price a little bit but that seems to be the asking prices of the norm now...I think I just got lucky.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In case anybody is wandering, I know where a guy is selling his MSAR but he is asking $1,450....and it is used....and it doesn't have an optic....or case....I messaged him and suggested he lower his price a little bit but that seems to be the asking prices of the norm now...I think I just got lucky.
That is where patience comes into play. He is asking almost full retail on an incomplete gun he can just keep on walking.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I know the prices are going up though so whether the election is the reason (it is certainly a part of it) or it is because MSAR is back in business (likely to be a factor as well) then this could be the norm for a little while.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Very nice. Love the way these things shoot. I've had the opportunity to shoot several of them. Looks like I may be adding one of these to my collection as well. A buddy of mine has an extra one that he's looking to get rid of. Bought it for his fiance because she liked his, and she doesn't shoot it that much anymore as they both have a few different AR's and his STG. He's going to sell it to me for $2500. That's the gun, 4 42rd mags, and 5 30rd mags, plus the pelican case and some other goodies that he's throwing in with it. I called another friend of mine that has one and ran the deal past him, and he said that its a pretty good deal, that I shouldn't pass it up. So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice. Love the way these things shoot. I've had the opportunity to shoot several of them. Looks like I may be adding one of these to my collection as well. A buddy of mine has an extra one that he's looking to get rid of. Bought it for his fiance because she liked his, and she doesn't shoot it that much anymore as they both have a few different AR's and his STG. He's going to sell it to me for $2500. That's the gun, 4 42rd mags, and 5 30rd mags, plus the pelican case and some other goodies that he's throwing in with it. I called another friend of mine that has one and ran the deal past him, and he said that its a pretty good deal, that I shouldn't pass it up. So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on it...

Wish I could have saw this sooner....I received the model that came with the Pelican for about $1,200....I bought my own mags, spare parts and extra kit after but I wouldn't consider $2,500 a good price at all...that is above AUG A3 territory...

I have a spare bolt from Ratworx, about 4 42 rounders, 3 30 rounders, a back up bolt sleeve, a shell deflector, a raptor charging handle, and a Mount that integrates the standard style with a more traditional optic.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The guy that helped develop the AUG A3 for sale here in the US, Pete Athens, also was a consultant on the MSAR project because of the fact Steyr didn't sell the AUG's in the US anymore, is my understanding. That's why they seem so similar. I just got my hands on an A3 CQC a few weeks ago and love it, but i would have considered an MSAR if the AUG wasn't available. My understanding is that the stock on the MSAR is actually the NATO stock that fits on the A3, correct me if i'm wrong of course.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wish I could have saw this sooner....I received the model that came with the Pelican for about $1,200....I bought my own mags, spare parts and extra kit after but I wouldn't consider $2,500 a good price at all...that is above AUG A3 territory...

I have a spare bolt from Ratworx, about 4 42 rounders, 3 30 rounders, a back up bolt sleeve, a shell deflector, a raptor charging handle, and a Mount that integrates the standard style with a more traditional optic.
I agree. My A3 CQC was 2500 shipped with the case, sling, cleaning kit, 2 30rd mags and 2 42 round mags.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked it up on a trade and I am very excited thus far. I am not sure when the soonest I will be able to shoot it is, however...

A few things I noticed after very little manipulation....the charging handle as a system. It is very rough to pull back (only seems to actually charge if the firearm is shouldered). It is new and unfired and I really have no way to tell what the date on it is (I know it is a Gen IV). Maybe this is going to get smoother after some rounds and break-in? I wan't to have a good idea of what has changed over time (I have read threads and stickies, so I have a good idea). Obviously the mags don't drop free....no surprise but are there options or things to do for this to be a possibility (this isn't a huge deal to me but if the info is out there, I'll listen)?

Next is the charging handle itself...I know there are various models out there (manticore comes to mind) but what would you suggest? I wasn't a fan of the raptor because of how obtrusive it seems but even with the factory optic I busted a knuckle (and I know I should start practicing with the underhand method but with how rough it is to pull back it really wasn't an option.

Rail system, what is the best one out there? From what I hear it seems to be the rail from the E4s? I plan on running a T1 on it (right now, I might change that later) and I assume the standard height Larue mount will work.

Anyways, here are the pics:

A few spaces at the bottom...I am thinking of either two 42 rounders (maybe 3 and just butch the circular cut out) or having 1 42 rounder and trying to get either a silencer or their new silenced barrel (just barrel with silencer, I believe). Of course that is a ways away and I am not that far yet...I am thinking about making the 30 rounder spaces fit a 42 rounder and just having 3-42 rounders on the left side instead of 3-30 rounders (maybe their reliability is why the previous owner bought more 30's?).

And here is the reticle on a target (my dart board). I really like the 1.5x magnification of the factory optic...but I am still going to remove it and keep it for nostalgia.

So far I really like the platform. Very compact and I actually really like the trigger on this one. I was happy about that after reading all of the complaints but even being somewhat of a trigger snob I like this trigger. Not light but it has very little creep and a smooth break.

I am a happy camper!
I just got an msar myself to I am looking for the factory optic would you be interested in selling yours

1 - 20 of 20 Posts