Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
its a little small, but the price of free BNIB was too good to pass up.

I should be able to make just about anything round found on the XD, so I am happy.

pics or it never happened....

SPECS:

JET JHL-610
Overall Dimensions: 24 x 11.75 x 8.5
Height: 8.5 inch
Width: 11.75 inch
Length: 24 inch
Net Weight: 50 pound
Gross Weight: 70 pound
Swing over Bed (in.): 5-1/2
Distance Between Centers (in.): 9-3/4
Spindle Bore (in.): 3/8
Spindle Mount: MT-2
Spindle Taper W/ Sleeve: MT-2
Number of Spindle speeds: Electronic Variable Speed
Range of Spindle Speeds (RPM): 100 - 2000
Number of Inch Threads: 5
Range of Inch Threads (TPI): 16-24
Number of Metric Threads: 5
Range of Metric Threads: 0.5-1.25
Max Tool Size (in.): 3/8-shank
Cross Slide Travel (in.): 2-1/2
Carriage Travel (in.): 7-1/16
Taper in Tailstock Spindle: MT-1

·
Registered
447 Posts
Congrats!! Now I'm waiting on what you come up with.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
just curious.. do you build your own bits or buy them pre-made? I went to lathe school for the hell of it and we spent the first week learning to make our own bits from scratch before we could even machine anything.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
///MCoupé;2897507 said:
just curious.. do you build your own bits or buy them pre-made? I went to lathe school for the hell of it and we spent the first week learning to make our own bits from scratch before we could even machine anything.
I have my associates in machine tool and had to do the same thing. I still have the bits I made.

That said though, my current job is a machine tool/consumable salesman so I get stuff @ cost and constantly come across "last years technolgy" samples. I will probably just buy pre made bits if need be, but if they need modified then over to the grinder it goes.....

Or I will just use some of the 10 small indexable carbide tools I have....lol

I made a tool holder awhile back that holds endmills on a lathe. I found that utilizing one flue at the right angle works really well. Plus there is an abundance of scrap HSS and carbide endmills that are missing or have a cracked flute. The other flutes work great for turning. I have found three flute carbide endmills work great for small precise detail work like the striker status indicator on an XD.

Hope that answers your ?

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
So .... Make something and sell it to us !!!

Nice little unit ... I hope it serves you well.

Now you need a mini-mill ;)

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So .... Make something and sell it to us !!!

Nice little unit ... I hope it serves you well.

Now you need a mini-mill ;)
If I can make something we all want, it may happen, but the sponsers seem to come up with all the really neat stuff.

A mill would be a good thing, We have one @ work I get to use...

What I really want is a magic wand machine so I can wave it over my XD and out pops a .22LR conversion kit.........that I could sell

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
If I can make something we all want, it may happen, but the sponsers seem to come up with all the really neat stuff.

A mill would be a good thing, We have one @ work I get to use...

What I really want is a magic wand machine so I can wave it over my XD and out pops a .22LR conversion kit.........that I could sell
That you could retire on ;)

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Extended mag release.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
My Brother In Law got a hell of a deal on a CNC Mill/Machine Center. Free as long as he paid to have it moved from the college. $1200 later he now has a 7200lb machining center to go with his surface grinder, mill, and lathe :) He can do some pretty amazing stuff in his garage. Built his own phase converter to run 3 phase. They said the tool changer was broken. College gets grants for new machines, and hardly any money to fix old. All it needed was a prox switch adjusted.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Brother In Law got a hell of a deal on a CNC Mill/Machine Center. Free as long as he paid to have it moved from the college. $1200 later he now has a 7200lb machining center to go with his surface grinder, mill, and lathe :) He can do some pretty amazing stuff in his garage. Built his own phase converter to run 3 phase. They said the tool changer was broken. College gets grants for new machines, and hardly any money to fix old. All it needed was a prox switch adjusted.
Yeah, I missed out on a demo welder/generator last year for 300 dollars by 2 days due to the same circumstances...I was pissed.....

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
///MCoupé;2900199 said:
yeah, when pick up hardware like this you tend to find people who know the trade rather well - glad you're no different. Nice setup for sure.
Yeah...its just a little unit....but should serve the hobby purpose.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
There's a guy on Sig Forum that makes and sells customized SS gunsmithing hammers. He comes up with some really interesting designs, but nothing so elaborate that you couldn't do on a lathe like you have.
You might want to take a look over there and see what I'm speaking of. I bought one of his first, a few years ago ($20.00), but he's getting $35.00 ea. right now. Bet you could sell some on here too.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks sweet. Good luck with it. Let us know how it performs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts