Springfield XD Forum banner

My New KT Mech holster

5K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  TSiWRX 
#1 ·
I'm looking forward to using this at the next USPSA match with 9mm tactical model.
KT MECH LLC
It's the akela model. I choose Blade-Tech's, Tekloc system. Been dry firing & It does just what it's suppose to do. First of this type for me, I really like it.
Dap

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What do you think of it up-close and personal?

I just put in for a Defender a couple of days ago - recently got a XC-1 that I put on the bottom of one of my 3.8 Compacts, and I wanted to give it a run-through at a low-light class I've got coming up. I'm pretty loyal to RCS for Kydex stuff (although I have tried several other makes), but I needed to go with KT Mech for their low lead-time.

#3 ·
I used it Sat and got to compare it to the Blackhawk Sportster. I found the KT Mech to be much smoother on the draw & reholster.
KT Mech service is first rate. I was originally sent the wrong holster. They made it right, right away.

#4 ·
^ Good to hear.

So far, they're impressing me. I placed my order just before quitting time this past Friday, and they got back to me on Monday AM to let me know that they received the order as well as the picture of my firearm/light setup, and confirmed the projected time-frame.

#8 ·
Standard loops.

I've got plenty of hardware from my RCSs, and this is really only started as a fill-in because of the time constraints to my coming class, where I wanted to try out the XC-1 (I favor a simple FO front with a blacked-out target rear, and although I am reasonable at unsighted fire up-close and always EDC a white-light [I'm a nerdy flashlight collector, too, so I take low-light classes to fulfill both hobbies), I still would like to have a WML for my EDC. My plan is to try it out both with its standard attachment as well as to use the various OWB and IWB attachments I have from other gear makes (Comp-Tac, Blade Tech, Pure Kustom, RCS), to see which will work better/best, and to also again see if I can even use Kydex as my EDC IWB setup (I've experimented with my RCS Phantoms, and while comfortable, quick, secure, and extremely practical for manipulations, I could not get the holster to sit in a way that would conceal as deeply as my EDC leather IWB).

Previous to the XC-1, I did not feel like there was a good mix of form-factor (i.e. size) and output (not just in terms of raw output, but also beam throw/shape) to fulfill my needs.

I'm also waiting for the new designed for the XD-S light/laser unit from CT to come out this summer. If that one plays out in terms of output and durability, I will modify my trigger-guard to allow for fitment. I would also really like a laser for transitional lighting as well as for its advantages in unconventional scenarios.

But honestly, I do have high hopes for the KT Mech. Given their lead-time, extremely diverse set of hardware parameters, reasonable cost, and also excellent fulfillment, I would love to add them to my relatively short go-to list (despite being a true gear-whore, I have a very short list of makers that I keep returning to for "serious" gear). :)

#9 · (Edited)
The holster did arrive today as USPS Tracking promised. :)

I'm truly impressed by both the production-to-shipping lead-time promise - at least with use of their added-cost "Priority Build Request" - as well as the overall cosmetic finish an material/construct quality of the item itself.

The ends are well-burnished, and there does not seem to be any hot-spots on the skin side (I plan to wear the holster IWB) at least in the hour or so I experimented with it for initial setup. The grip area and sweat-shield are properly relieved for quick and certain establishment of a dominant firing grip; the trigger is properly protected, with the trigger guard fully enclosed yet cleanly relieved for the draw. The sight channel is easily large/tall enough to clear my rather tall Dawson fiber front (0.205 height) with no issues, and there's enough clearance for even my Springer Precision extened magazine release while still allowing enough travel for hot-range withdrawal of the magazine without the need to, in any way, shift the gun from full retention in the holster.

In terms of build, at least at this stage, it seems as well done as benchmark items from Raven Concealment - if not better, actually, cosmetically. It's certainly a step above from Dark Star, Kaluban Kloak, and other competitive players at that height, and easily well above most "eBay generics."

I deemed retention to be a little tight at this point, but the holster is new, and this is undeniably also just my personal preference. Regardless, the designated fit of my 3.8-inch barrel length with the Surefire XC-1 is definitely spot-on.

My only complaints are that the standard loops that came with it are a little tight - it was somewhat hard to thread it on to my Ares Gear Ranger - and that the holster is configured with a fully closed end. A quick swap to my preferred RCS hardware and mounting solutions took care of the former in terms of OWB, and use of Comp-Tac's tuckable IWB struts (I eventually plan to switch to the tuckable leather loops that I prefer for my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro IWB setup) took care of any IWB concerns. The closed end should not be a concern for everyday concealed-carry, but for those who train intensely, debris which enter the holster will obviously not fall free of their own accord. I unfortunately have not yet had a chance to test whether water or sand will self-drain. [ Note - I am also not sure if the full closed end is a function of the Defender-series holster being light enabled: it could be a feature to defeat light-ND. ]

My 10-year-old daughter, "blind tested," did not note any differences in terms of concealment, using my usual everyday clothing, between the KT Mech/Comp-Tac strut pairing and the EDC setup that I've worn for the last 5 years, the aforementioned IWB Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, positioned at the 2:30 position, set for a severe cant.

Subjectively, it feels faster coming out - and that should bear-out with a shot-timer as I no longer have to specifically displace the impinging full sweat-shield I had with the Pure Kustom. However, whether this is actually true will require the help of live-fire and the shot timer. I should be able to revisit this definitively in this summer's enrollment of concealed-carry specific training.

As things stand, now, I'm reasonably certain that I will be purchasing more from KT Mech. :)

[ I am not being paid or otherwise compensated in any way, shape, or form by KT Mech or any other vested-interest party to write what I have. I paid full price for the item, and these are my honest, quick thoughts. ]

#12 ·
There's just so many holster options.
+1.

I'm sure you'll like the G-Code. :)

-----

I'm glad it's working for you. If you have time post a pic of your version.
Here's the gun: XDm9 3.8 Compact with Surefire XC-1.

Out-facing side. Set up for IWB with Comp-Tac struts:

Skin side:

Sight tract:

Mag-release and trigger guard detail - note that this is from the left side of the frame, so that's what the clearance for a factory mag release would look like. You can see from my skin-side pic that with the extended mag release I have, the fit is nearly flush.

#13 ·
On a related note....

I finally got out to the range today, and vetted my carry XDm9 3.8 Compact (not the above, but an all black one) with the XC-1 and my usual carry ammo (147 gr. Federal HST, standard pressure). Through ~50 rounds I saw no issues.

It's now my true EDC combo.

I will double-down on this, as I have with my previous setup, and also get an XC-1 and the same holster for a dedicated training setup. :)

#14 ·
Getting back to this thread....

I've been IWB'ing this holster for about a month now, and while it's been absolutely wonderful in terms of speed and security, I have had some discomfort with it given where and how I wear it (for reference, my previous IWB EDC of 5 years was a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, which is full leather). My preference for placement is the 2:30 or so, strong-side, set up for deep concealment with the grip just clearing the waistband with enough space so that I can get a full fighting grip on the draw.

Given that the holster sits so deep IWB, it pinches my thigh when I bend forward or take a seat. Similarly, it's hard for me to execute some kicks, as the holster bulk restricts movement somewhat.

With that in-mind, I recently modified it by shaving off much of the holster's flat, un-used areas forward and to the sides of the muzzle (this would mainly be the holster's 4- and 7-o'clock positions, with the muzzle denoting 6), thereby forming enough of a contour that, with the holster at my inguinal crease when I am seated, it now rides completely above the crease, which allows for absolutely comfortable seated positioning (even in the seat of my wife's Subaru WRX) as well as for much better mobility kicking and kneeing.

I'm also a rather porky guy, 250 lbs. on a medium frame, 6' even. As such, I carry a spare tire around my midriff, and the rear sights of my gun (a blocky Dawson Charger which I specifically chose as it allows me excellent leverage for single-handed manipulations) can rub uncomfortably on my skin due to the abbreviated sweat-shield of this holster (my everyday clothing consists typically of just an un-tucked T-shirt over jeans; I'm an academic scientist, and we don't really need to dress up to go to work :p). To remedy this, I used some 3M Dual-Lock ( All about 3M Dual Lock ) to form a semi-rigid sweat-shield extension that extends all the way up to the rear sight, backing it with moleskin against my skin. It looks pretty awful, but it works really well as when the firearm has been withdrawn from the holster, the semi-rigid nature of this home-brew shield can somewhat deflect so as to allow for more trunk movement.

Pictures soon.

#15 ·
^ Removed the self-made sweat-shield extension. It wasn't 100 stable, despite the 3M VHB adhesive backing the Dual-Lock uses.

Also, as it turns out, there's virtually no way for me to completely smooth out the curvature of the Dual-Lock pieces that I'd cut, so it ended up being more prickly to my tenders than the sights.

Guess I just need to man-up and grow a callous on my tummy. :lol:

#16 ·
Updating -

Signed up for a class last weekend that was aimed specifically at single-handed manipulations. Sponsored by the Buckeye Firearms Association, it was taught by one of my favorite local instructors, Andrew Blubaugh of Apex Shooting and Tactics. "Immediate Action Under Duress" was aimed at the beginner/intermediate shooter, specifically working manipulations and marksmanship single-handed, both only with the dominant hand as well as with the non-dominant hand, under the assumption that your day has gone from bad to worse, and for whatever reason, you're now in the fight with only one arm/hand that can be used.

Almost 4 years ago to-the-day, I'd taken Chris Costa's Handgun Employment 02 (currently named HET2), which focused on much of the same skill set. At the time - and even to-date - that was the hardest that I've ever run my pistols. I picked up a ton of great information from that class in terms of single-handed manipulations, but seeing that it'd been 4 years ago, I decided that Andrew's course, if nothing else, would be an excellent review.

It turned out that I was able to not only reinforce some of what I'd learned previously, but that Andrew also taught me more than a few new ways to attack the problem, and I walked away even adopting some new/revised methods. :)

One such concern was the holster.

I found it extremely hard to holster the pistol at-slidelock, BACKWARDS into this holster. The placement of the XC1, when paired with the lack of slide material at the muzzle, made the reverse holster (with the magwell pointed at 12-o'clock, instead of towards the 6) stroke - as you would do if you were only able to use your non-dominant hand - exceedingly unstable.

Given that this reverse-holster technique ostensibly allows the shooter to remain mobile while reloading the gun at-slidelock with the non-dominant hand, I found that the lack of stability conferred due to the hardware interactions to be self-defeating in this instance. I would much rather stick the gun behind my beltline or even in my pants pocket, should I need to move and reload. Alternatively, assuming reloading under cover, I would adopt a more traditional static position (behind-the-knee, between-the-knees, or by grounding the pistol) rather than reverse-holstering.

This is not a "complaint," per-se. Rather, just a limitation of this particular holster.

For the ability to carry a WML, though, I'm gladly making the trade. :)

#17 ·
Updating -

Signed up for a class last weekend that was aimed specifically at single-handed manipulations. Sponsored by the Buckeye Firearms Association, it was taught by one of my favorite local instructors, Andrew Blubaugh of Apex Shooting and Tactics. "Immediate Action Under Duress" was aimed at the beginner/intermediate shooter, specifically working manipulations and marksmanship single-handed, both only with the dominant hand as well as with the non-dominant hand, under the assumption that your day has gone from bad to worse, and for whatever reason, you're now in the fight with only one arm/hand that can be used.

Almost 4 years ago to-the-day, I'd taken Chris Costa's Handgun Employment 02 (currently named HET2), which focused on much of the same skill set. At the time - and even to-date - that was the hardest that I've ever run my pistols. I picked up a ton of great information from that class in terms of single-handed manipulations, but seeing that it'd been 4 years ago, I decided that Andrew's course, if nothing else, would be an excellent review.

It turned out that I was able to not only reinforce some of what I'd learned previously, but that Andrew also taught me more than a few new ways to attack the problem, and I walked away even adopting some new/revised methods. :)

One such concern was the holster.

I found it extremely hard to holster the pistol at-slidelock, BACKWARDS into this holster. The placement of the XC1, when paired with the lack of slide material at the muzzle, made the reverse holster (with the magwell pointed at 12-o'clock, instead of towards the 6) stroke - as you would do if you were only able to use your non-dominant hand - exceedingly unstable.

Given that this reverse-holster technique ostensibly allows the shooter to remain mobile while reloading the gun at-slidelock with the non-dominant hand, I found that the lack of stability conferred due to the hardware interactions to be self-defeating in this instance. I would much rather stick the gun behind my beltline or even in my pants pocket, should I need to move and reload. Alternatively, assuming reloading under cover, I would adopt a more traditional static position (behind-the-knee, between-the-knees, or by grounding the pistol) rather than reverse-holstering.

This is not a "complaint," per-se. Rather, just a limitation of this particular holster.

For the ability to carry a WML, though, I'm gladly making the trade. :)
Thanks for the pics, nice looking rig. Being in Cal., and doing only USPSA I never considered an iwb setup. Although I've been considering a ccw class. For out of state travel, and trying IDPA matches. Sounds like you've got some good training. I would like to get some good ccw related training. Thankfully there are first rate trainers that give classes in the SF Bay Area.
Thanks for the updates. It's always good to hear how any kind of gear/equipment works for others.
DAP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.