Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems I've caught the knife bug after reading through the Cold Steel forum. I got my Kershaw Blur a little over a week ago and I just got my newest addition in today, the ZT 0566. Lots of folks in here seem to have the 0350 and they seem to really like it, which is what piqued my interested in the ZT line. Although I liked the 0350, I wanted something a little bit lighter and a little bit thinner. The 0566 seemed to fill that need. Here's my first impressions:

• The build quality is great. It's noticeably heavier than my Kershaw Blur, but I really don't mind the weight and once it is clipped to my pocket, I don't really notice it.
  • The clip seemed to have noticeable wear compared to rest of the knife. The clip appeared to be a shiny black in the pictures that I've seen of this knife, but mine appears to be a matte black and looks a bit worn. This doesn't bother me though
  • While I like that the knife feels so sturdy in the hand, it's a real b*!tch to open with the flipper. I've never had a knife with this kind of opening mechanism before, so I'm not sure if this is typical for this style of assisted opening mechanism, or it is common to the ZT line, or if mine is just super tight. When I first tried to open it, it was so stiff that I thought the blade was stuck and I really had to force it to open it.
Overall, I like this knife, but it is literally a pain to open it with the flipper. I really hope that changes over time. The blade on my Blur flies open almost effortlessly (and painlessly). I've been opening and closing the ZT several times tonight trying to break it in and my finger is pretty sore. For those of you that have this kind flipper assisted opening knife, is this typical? Last, but not least, here are some pics.
IMG_0192.jpg
IMG_0193.jpg

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Congratulations! I love Zero Tolerance knives, they are just about my favorite knives. I like Spyderco and Benchmade and Emerson and have several of each, but I just find the ZT's to be a bit better overall.

I've got 2 assisted ZT's and they're quite easy to open, a 300 and 350, and a good push on the flipper and they're moving. I also just picked up an 0560 in black wash that's my favorite non assisted opening knife.

The 0560 uses a pin and notch to keep it closed and I actually had to file down the pin a bit to get the level of resistance down. I called ZT and they were happy to exchange it but it was no big deal to adjust it.

If your assisted opening works like my 300 and 350 it shouldn't be hard to open, I'd consider sending it back to ZT for adjustment. They stand behind their products and they ain't cheap so of its not ideal make them fix it.

Great knife!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations! I love Zero Tolerance knives, they are just about my favorite knives. I like Spyderco and Benchmade and Emerson and have several of each, but I just find the ZT's to be a bit better overall.

I've got 2 assisted ZT's and they're quite easy to open, a 300 and 350, and a good push on the flipper and they're moving. I also just picked up an 0560 in black wash that's my favorite non assisted opening knife.

The 0560 uses a pin and notch to keep it closed and I actually had to file down the pin a bit to get the level of resistance down. I called ZT and they were happy to exchange it but it was no big deal to adjust it.

If your assisted opening works like my 300 and 350 it shouldn't be hard to open, I'd consider sending it back to ZT for adjustment. They stand behind their products and they ain't cheap so of its not ideal make them fix it.

Great knife!
Thanks for the info. Is there anything I should try before I send it to the manufacturer?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Thanks for the info. Is there anything I should try before I send it to the manufacturer?
Maybe just see if it loosens, but an automatic shouldn't be that hard to deploy.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've also noticed that if I don't flick my wrist when using the flipper, the blade will not lock into place when it deploys.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
When I got my first flipper knife I couldn't get it to open for crap. Considering it was a $250 knife I was pretty ticked (spyderco Southard) turns out I was making an amateur flipper mistake. I was flipping it like you would a light switch. Straight up and down. What it needed was more of a 45 degree push. Now it flies open. It's so smooth and fast it could pass for an assisted opening. It's all about technique.

Yours sounds very tight however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I got my first flipper knife I couldn't get it to open for crap. Considering it was a $250 knife I was pretty ticked (spyderco Southard) turns out I was making an amateur flipper mistake. I was flipping it like you would a light switch. Straight up and down. What it needed was more of a 45 degree push. Now it flies open. It's so smooth and fast it could pass for an assisted opening. It's all about technique.

Yours sounds very tight however.

I tried that too and I also make sure that my fingers are not resting on the liner lock while opening and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The force of the flipper makes a nice indention in my finger too.

IMG_0197.JPG

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
It seems I've caught the knife bug after reading through the Cold Steel forum. I got my Kershaw Blur a little over a week ago and I just got my newest addition in today, the ZT 0566. Lots of folks in here seem to have the 0350 and they seem to really like it, which is what piqued my interested in the ZT line. Although I liked the 0350, I wanted something a little bit lighter and a little bit thinner. The 0566 seemed to fill that need. Here's my first impressions:

• The build quality is great. It's noticeably heavier than my Kershaw Blur, but I really don't mind the weight and once it is clipped to my pocket, I don't really notice it.
  • The clip seemed to have noticeable wear compared to rest of the knife. The clip appeared to be a shiny black in the pictures that I've seen of this knife, but mine appears to be a matte black and looks a bit worn. This doesn't bother me though
  • While I like that the knife feels so sturdy in the hand, it's a real b*!tch to open with the flipper. I've never had a knife with this kind of opening mechanism before, so I'm not sure if this is typical for this style of assisted opening mechanism, or it is common to the ZT line, or if mine is just super tight. When I first tried to open it, it was so stiff that I thought the blade was stuck and I really had to force it to open it.
Overall, I like this knife, but it is literally a pain to open it with the flipper. I really hope that changes over time. The blade on my Blur flies open almost effortlessly (and painlessly). I've been opening and closing the ZT several times tonight trying to break it in and my finger is pretty sore. For those of you that have this kind flipper assisted opening knife, is this typical? Last, but not least, here are some pics. View attachment 51168 View attachment 51169
Try a drop of gun oil in the hinge,might get it loosened up a bit.

Don

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've been running a Kershaw Blur for a while now and really like it. Had a little smaller and less "tactical" Kershaw that I would use when I was dressed up a little more and didn't want my "work gear" with me...... (don't know the name of that one). Lost that on a trip to New England someplace. -- I Think the damned car rental company ended up with a nice little keeper as well as screwing us on the rental..... sorry.... a little rant.....

Anyway, there was a good deal on a Cold Steel Mini Tuff LIte that I saw, and that will be added to my collection for EDC when not wanting the Blur in my pocket. Should be just the right size.

(MIne is black, not this nasty color)
Amazon.com: Cold Steel 20MTG Mini Tuff Lite Knife, Green: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I loosened the pivot screw a little and put a few drops of gun oil around the pivot area but it didn't seem to help much. I actually broke off part of my fingernail trying to open it tonight. I'll give it a week or so to see if it loosens up and if it doesn't, I'm sending it in to ZT. I have seen some videos with this knife deassisted and it seems to fly right open. I don't know if I'd want to go that route though. I've read stories that said deassisting made it easier to open and I've read some that said it made it worse. I guess it's a crap shoot. Regardless, this isn't what I expected for a $150 knife.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I loosened the pivot screw a little and put a few drops of gun oil around the pivot area but it didn't seem to help much. I actually broke off part of my fingernail trying to open it tonight. I'll give it a week or so to see if it loosens up and if it doesn't, I'm sending it in to ZT. I have seen some videos with this knife deassisted and it seems to fly right open. I don't know if I'd want to go that route though. I've read stories that said deassisting made it easier to open and I've read some that said it made it worse. I guess it's a crap shoot. Regardless, this isn't what I expected for a $150 knife.

They need to make it right, their prices are too high for problems like this.

Reactions: axel2078

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You need to send it in now. It's not like a back lock that is going to loosen up over time. That sucks I've heard zt has some quality issues. Usually minor stuff and nothing like this.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I emailed their customer service yesterday morning asking if I could send it in for adjustment but I haven't heard anything back yet. If I don't get a response by Tuesday, I will call them.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I got a little impatient, so I filled out their warranty form, typed up a letter explaining my concerns, and I'm going to box it up today and drop it in a UPS drop box. According to their site, turnaround time on warranty work/repairs can take up to 6 weeks. I'm hoping it won't take that long, but even if it does, it will be worth it if it opens smoothly when I get it back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts