Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Compared to my XD9, this puppy kicks like a mule! I suppose it'll just take a bit of getting used to. If I can "plink" at the range with my 454Casull all day, I should be able to handle this thing. :oops:

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is which gun would better (subjective, I know) for my home defense purposes.

Whadayall think..........4" XD9 (15+1 rounds) or 5" XD45 (9+1 rounds)?

I don't really know how to properly evaluate shooting performance (e.g. Range Reports), but I think both of these guns shoot great. If I can learn to control the recoil of the 45 like I do with the 9, I'll be just as "fast" regarding getting the sights back on target.

R,
Doug

PS - Can somebody tell me how to upload pictures please? I have three I'd like to show.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I just figured out that images can't actually be uploaded....they have to be linked out somewhere. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Both calibers are good for home defense, but I'm willing to bet most folks will lean towards the .45 GAP.

·
Registered
778 Posts
For home defense, sell one of them and buy a shot gun. Unles you can afford all three, which is even better.

I'm not being facetious either.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I have a shotgun too.......it's a Rem 870 with a 20" rifled barrel readied with '00' lead buckshot and fiber/night sights. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was looking at an XD45 Tactical at the PX this morning. I'm intrigued by the round and the platform, but I'm not yet convinced it's worth the investment.

While I was looking I asked for a price check on ammo. HOLY *smelly stuff* :shock:! $20 for Winchester USA! $30 for JHP! I'll shop around for better pricing, but the ammo cost alone is enough to keep me away.

ajamesp51 - "I am completely sold on the GAP" Can you elaborate on this for me? PM if you don't want to rehash it in public. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
I have one of each of the gaps the 4 in is my new ccw weapon. I have several thousands of rounds of 45 gap down range I have yet to have any problems. To show why make a the 45gap I take a 9mm magazine and shove a few 45gaps in it and the pistol still feeds. The 45 in a nice sized hole no matter what you like.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Brad VanHorn said:
While I was looking I asked for a price check on ammo. HOLY *smelly stuff* :shock:! $20 for Winchester USA! $30 for JHP! I'll shop around for better pricing, but the ammo cost alone is enough to keep me away.
I don't understand the GAP ammo cost that has been shown on a lot of posts, most of the time we are better off by a few bucks to order ammo.
the 45 GAP at our locale dealer has been the exception with win and federal at $12.99 and by the 10 boxes $11.39 even had some JHP at the $12.99 and good carry loads $14.99 all are 50 round boxes..Hope to see it down more but it will happen the 45 GAP is too good a round to loose out.

Just my .02

RJ

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't understand the GAP ammo cost that has been shown on a lot of posts...
I was checking out the ammo at the Marine Corps Exchange, and the ammo prices are normally decent (not great, but decent). I probably won't do this again, but I recently bought 1,000 rds of Winchester USA 9mm for $140. I've had better deals, but that's $7 per 50rd box, which isn't bad. Now today I ask for a price check and they show me a 50rd box of Winchester USA 45GAP that lists for $20?! I was stunned at the cost! I can get 45ACP for $12-$13 a box. $20 for 45GAP?! It just doesn't make sense. Anyway, I'm sure I can find a lower price elsewhere, but wow, what an eye opener...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Get some 125 grain Corbon +P hollowpoints for your 9mm. You'll have 16 total rounds of firepower equal to, or better than most .45 ammo. 8)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts