Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday at the gun show and I just had to have an AR and that was the main reason to go. I picked up a DPMS Oracle for 600 and change. It is completely stock and is a blank canvas. Not a exactly what I was looking for, but I wasn't going home empty handed.

But looking at reviews and what people are saying about DPMS it looks like maybe I should have. Was this a good buy? If it's a crappy gun, I don't want it, what are my options to get rid of this thing?

Does anyone here have a DPMS? What is the real story with them?

Randy

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
My buddy has one, and hasn't had any issues with it. DPMS gets a bad wrap from all the people on the internet who have drank the Colt Koolaid. They make a decent gun. If you plan on just using it as a range gun, plinker it will work just fine.

I got a Double Star rifle, and it's served me very well since I bought it used last February...

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
i got a dpms L16 thats very similar to yours, works fine. accuracies on point, & been reliable. its not like you bought a cobra 380 or jennings. shoot it first. then let the mods begin. for 650, good purchase.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I personally would not buy one, your almost there price-wise for something more. You might say its a range gun but for the amount of money that your already spending I would want to obtain one that has a solid reputation and will perform under adverse conditions. Not that you need that kind of performance and capability at the range but its nice to know its there if you do. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got an Oracle and love it. Lots of DPMS haters out there but I have no idea why. Unless they are just pissed that they spent a lot more for their big name rifle that doesn't perform any better than my cheap DPMS. I've sent a lot of rounds down range and have yet to come across a problem. It's been through many tactical courses, covered in mud, dust, and sand and keeps on running. It's dead on accurate at 100 yrds with a cheap Famous Maker red-dot. And it eats any ammo I put through it, mostly my own reloads of many different recipes. I can't seem to make a load that this gun wont eat.
I'm not saying its the best rifle made but I can't see a reason to spend more. I got mine for $700 otd. I'll happily run a drill next to any rifle that cost hundreds more.:D
I don't think DPMS became one of the largest (2nd largest in the world I believe) AR manufacturers by making junk.
Some people are happy to own a really good running Chevy. Others feel the need to spend a whole lot more on the same vehicle with a cooler looking "Caddilac" emblem on it. Ymmv.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've got an Oracle and love it. Lots of DPMS haters out there but I have no idea why. Unless they are just pissed that they spent a lot more for their big name rifle that doesn't perform any better than my cheap DPMS. I've sent a lot of rounds down range and have yet to come across a problem. It's been through many tactical courses, covered in mud, dust, and sand and keeps on running. It's dead on accurate at 100 yrds with a cheap Famous Maker red-dot. And it eats any ammo I put through it, mostly my own reloads of many different recipes. I can't seem to make a load that this gun wont eat.
I'm not saying its the best rifle made but I can't see a reason to spend more. I got mine for $700 otd. I'll happily run a drill next to any rifle that cost hundreds more.:D
I don't think DPMS became one of the largest (2nd largest in the world I believe) AR manufacturers by making junk.
Some people are happy to own a really good running Chevy. Others feel the need to spend a whole lot more on the same vehicle with a cooler looking "Caddilac" emblem on it. Ymmv.
Agree!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have had my Oracle for about a month now.
So far I have about 200 rounds through it.
It doesn't like wolf ammo to well but all the others have cycled perfect
I haven't checked for accuracy yet, mostly because the 30 round magazines I have make it hard to shoot from a bench. but this past weekend I did some shooting while resting against a tree and kept about a 2" group around 120 yards
So far I love it!

I like when guys start dogging DPMS and then start talking about the $2000 AR they have. but then start saying how they changed the trigger and this and that.
well when I start changing parts I feel I am way ahead since I started out spending less on the rifle!

·
Premium Member
127,415 Posts
I have a DPMS Panther that "runs like a top."

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can't please everyone! I've been told to stay away from DPMS but never given a solid reason. If you're happy with it that's all that matters! Now that you have the gun the only review you should be concerned about is the one you give. Every brand has fanboys. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it. ;-)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
So yesterday at the gun show and I just had to have an AR and that was the main reason to go. I picked up a DPMS Oracle for 600 and change. It is completely stock and is a blank canvas. Not a exactly what I was looking for, but I wasn't going home empty handed.

But looking at reviews and what people are saying about DPMS it looks like maybe I should have. Was this a good buy? If it's a crappy gun, I don't want it, what are my options to get rid of this thing?

Does anyone here have a DPMS? What is the real story with them?

Randy
Shoot it and decide for your self!

don

·
Registered
907 Posts
The large urban metro law enforcement department in my area has bought Dpms in qtys of 200 or more carbines in a single order. And that's just one order. Some orders are even larger at times.

You are fine with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I haven't checked for accuracy yet, mostly because the 30 round magazines I have make it hard to shoot from a bench. but this past weekend I did some shooting while resting against a tree and kept about a 2" group around 120 yards
So far I love it!

I like when guys start dogging DPMS and then start talking about the $2000 AR they have. but then start saying how they changed the trigger and this and that.
well when I start changing parts I feel I am way ahead since I started out spending less on the rifle!
All the boltons don't make the rifle better just More expensive.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The large urban metro law enforcement department in my area has bought Dpms in qtys of 200 or more carbines in a single order. And that's just one order. Some orders are even larger at times.

You are fine with the purchase.
All that purchase means is that DPMS has the lowest bid. I am in not knocking the rifle, just making a point.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had that same gun. I shot the crap out of it. I installed a slide fire on it for the heck of it and would dump a 30 round mag in no time. The only time i ever had problems from it was running reloads I had bought for cheap at a gun show. The bullet was seated to far out so when I got home I re ran the rounds through my bullet sweater and never had a problem again. I sold if a few months ago for $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Never had a problem with mine at all?. Accurate? I have kills on ground hogs at well over a 100 yds and a coyote at 204. It's the lo pro classic. I personally have never seen a bad review on one of there rifles.

Sent from my HTC Incredible

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a DPMS and have never had an issue with it. I've got the Slide Fire on it and it will dump a 60 mag with any problem and place them right where I want them.

·
Registered
720 Posts
So far I love it!

if you had a warranty it is now void. DPMS will not honor your warrenty if you have shot reloads or steel cased ammo. (i have also shot both)

Now that i told you about that I LOVE my dpms. DPMS AP4 with magpul funrniture. Never had a Problem EVER. Somewhere near 1200 rounds through it.

All that purchase means is that DPMS has the lowest bid. I am in not knocking the rifle, just making a point.
Or that other rifles didnt meet their criteria

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you had a warranty it is now void. DPMS will not honor your warrenty if you have shot reloads or steel cased ammo. (i have also shot both)

Now that i told you about that I LOVE my dpms. DPMS AP4 with magpul funrniture. Never had a Problem EVER. Somewhere near 1200 rounds through it.

Or that other rifles didnt meet their criteria
How would they be able to tell steel cased ammo has been shot through it?

·
Registered
519 Posts
"Have you shot reloads?"

"no sir"

"ok, here's your ticket number"

It's a clause put in by lawyers to save their ass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought mine and kept it for less than a day! I actually bought it for my son and giving it away was VERY hard to do. I plan on buying another DPMS whenever the money is available. So far he hasn't had any troubles at all.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts