Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Springfield Loaded Target .45 Black Stainless arrived today at the FFL. Unfortunately by the time I picked it up the range that I go to was closing, so I had to just sit here and stare at it all night.

I'll be going to shoot it Sunday afternoon for the first time. I'll let everyone know how it shoots.

The only issue that I've noticed from messing around with it at the house was at first I couldn't get the safety to go up. I eventually loosened the top screw on the right grip a little to see if the part of the safety on the right side that goes under the grip was being held too tightly. That seemed to fix the problem.

These pictures really don't do this thing justice. They're iphone pictures first of all. And every time I look at the picture I take of it and then look back at the actual gun, I'm annoyed at how much prettier it is in person. I wish I could get some pictures of it that really conveyed it's beauty.

edit: adding in 3 pictures at the top... Just found some better light for the pictures. I think these top 3 came out the best.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Great looking 1911. Now I have to explain to the Mrs why I need another 1911.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice!! I would be happy to sit and stare at that all night....if it were mine!
That's exactly what I did :) Stared at it for awhile, took it apart, put it back together, stared for a little longer, watched some tv with it in my lap, took it apart again, put it back together, stared a little longer.... I even gave it a photo shoot! I was just really wanting to fire a shot through it.

I took it out for a test run today. It shot great. I was curious if it was going to be one of those 1911s that has some trouble until it gets broken in, or if it was going to be nice and cooperate with me from the start. I fired about 150 rounds through it this afternoon (wanted to shoot more but wasn't able to. more on that later). Didn't have a single failure of any kind. Trigger pull felt nice. The safety was still very hard to push up. I couldn't do it with my right thumb. Anytime I wanted to flip the safety on I had to do it with my left hand. It seemed to shoot a little high left but that could have easily been my fault. I am by no means a great shot. At least I have adjustable sights! If I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong I could always just move the sights a little to help me out, then laugh at other people when they shoot my gun and hit low right :twisted:. I'll be going shooting with a buddy who's an NRA instructor sometime this next week I think. Hopefully he can give me some pointers.

I did have one problem with the gun while shooting. A roll pin (I think) that goes down into the top of the front sight was working it's way out after about 70 rounds. I think it's there to hold in the tritium insert. Although after the pin was completely out of the gun I wiggled the sight a little and noticed it could move a little from side to side without that pin, so I'm not really sure what the function of the pin is. While shooting I noticed that there was something sticking up from the sight while half way through a magazine, and for some reason decided to finish off the mag before checking it. That was all it took to completely eject the pin. A range officer brought in a flashlight and helped me search the floor for it until we found it. He took the gun into their shop and tapped it back into place. I kept shooting after he brought it back to me, and noticed the same thing happening after about another 80 rounds. I stopped this time and decided to call it a day until I could figure out how to fix this problem. I was planning on shooting 3-400 rounds today but had to stop after 150 because of this.

Here's a couple pictures from today, with pictures of the roll pin backing out at the end.

This was my first 60ish shots with the gun. These were all at 25 feet. Most were slow fire but I fired through a mag or two fairly fast paced. I'm sure the grouping will get better as I get used to the gun. This was only my second time ever shooting a 1911. As you can see, even at 25 feet I was grouping mainly a little high left.

This was about 3 mags worth of shots at 50 feet. Again, most shots were high left

Here's 2 pics of the pin backing out. If anyone knows a fix for this let me know. I asked the guys working at the shop/range about loctiting it but they didn't think that would work because it wasn't threaded

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Congrats! :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never really payed too much attention to the pics of the targets until I just now looked back at all of the pictures in the thread. Does anyone else find it weird that I was grouping at the exact same part of the target at 25 feet and at 50 feet? I would think if I'm shooting a little high left at 25 feet it should be a lot more high left at 50...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Beautiful gun! Too bad the pin worked its way out but SA should take care of you. Congrats on a gun you'll probably keep for a lifetime!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went shooting again, this time up in Orlando with a couple friends, and put another 150 rounds through it and about 200 through my XDM.

This time when one of my friends was shooting the 1911 the pin worked it's way out and fell out. We lost it. I brought it to the gunsmith at that range and he said that it looked like the factory had drilled the hole a little too big. Without that pin the front sight will fall off pretty much anytime I set down the gun. He said that he could get me a new pin, put some kind of glue on it to hold it in the oversized hole, and put some red loctite on the slide to hold it on. He was going to charge $50. I told him no thanks... I think I can go buy some loctite when my new pin comes in from Springfield and get the sight back on.

The good news is that after a little over 300 rounds, I haven't had a single problem with my 1911 besides the sight. After this pin problem gets fixed, I know this is going to be a great gun.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I went shooting again, this time up in Orlando with a couple friends, and put another 150 rounds through it and about 200 through my XDM.

This time when one of my friends was shooting the 1911 the pin worked it's way out and fell out. We lost it. I brought it to the gunsmith at that range and he said that it looked like the factory had drilled the hole a little too big. Without that pin the front sight will fall off pretty much anytime I set down the gun. He said that he could get me a new pin, put some kind of glue on it to hold it in the oversized hole, and put some red loctite on the slide to hold it on. He was going to charge $50. I told him no thanks... I think I can go buy some loctite when my new pin comes in from Springfield and get the sight back on.

The good news is that after a little over 300 rounds, I haven't had a single problem with my 1911 besides the sight. After this pin problem gets fixed, I know this is going to be a great gun.

Great 1911!!! I have the same one and love it too.

Yeah, call Springfield Armory and they will fix it right for free even if they have you send it to them to perform the repairs.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Huge fan of the black stainless look on a 1911, or on any gun really. Great choice. If I had to pick up an SA 1911, I think the Loaded Black Stainless would probably be my first choice. Is it me or does it look better than Kimber's Eclipse 2's black stainless?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My friend showed me a little temporary fix for my front sight while waiting for the new rollpin to get in (which it did today). I ripped a thin piece of paper and folded it once or twice and slid it under the front sight as I installed it. Then tapped it over to line up the hole to center the sight. The paper holds the sight in very tightly, and I've shot about 150 rounds through the gun since putting the paper under the sight and it hasn't moved at all.

Everyone that I've taken shooting loves this gun. And they all like shooting .45 over 9mm. They all shoot more accurately with the 1911 over my XDM

I'm up to around 550-600 flawless rounds through the gun. I'm very happy with it. The only issue that I have with the gun is that the last round in a magazine will usually eject straight backwards, sometimes hitting my forehead.

I went shooting with my dad yesterday. Got a pic of a little muzzle flash from my new beauty.

This is his second time ever shooting a handgun. He has shot my XDM once before. When we started out shooting yesterday we both put 2 magazines through the XDM then moved on to the 1911. When he took his first shot on the 1911 I didn't see the hole at first. After a second of looking I noticed the hole was DEAD center on the target. it was an IDPA target and the hole was in the middle of the 0 in the center. This is a pic of his first couple magazines through the 1911 at 30 feet. That 0 has 4 shots in it. Out of 16 shots total in that target I call that pretty good for his second time.

This is a video of him shooting through a magazine and getting a little love tap from an ejected case on the last round

I was still grouping slightly left. This time it was a little low left instead of high left. I think that's because of the paper that I put under the front sight raised it up slightly, causing me to shoot lower. This pic is about 60 rounds at 30 feet. Mostly slow fire with a couple faster paced magazines.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts