Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up from a forum member (Sourpatch45, THANKS AGAIN). I had it laser bore sighted, put a Harris bi-pod on and am anxious to take it out this weekend.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice. What kind of range can you get out of that round?

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a Savage....

I haven't shot it yet, but have read plenty about the .17 round before making the purchase. From my research, I would think I could put down squirrels and crows from 100 yards easily.

I've read about some 150-200 yard shots but like i said, i've never shot it.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simmons 3-9x40

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
nice pick up,looks pretty sweet. is .17 as readily available/ as cheap as .22lr?

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Nice pice up. I hope to see some of your 100 yrd. groups.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is as readily available (wal-mart, dicks, outdoor world) but is a little more expensive.

It ranges from $10-$20 per 50...this is a bolt action, so that will help keep me from burning through the ammo like I do with .22;)

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice pice up. I hope to see some of your 100 yrd. groups.

I plan on taking it out saturday, I will have the camera there for stills and probably some video as well.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I plan on destroying some aluminum cans, coins, paper, and 2 liter bottles filled with water.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Man, you gotta go higher on your magnification! You can check out the cheap BSA scopes. I like the contender series better than the "Sweet" series. Why? 1/8 MOA adj! Obj, parallax adj! Sun Shade. You can dial in your target without it telling you how far away you should be shooting. Oh yeah .... less money, and not 1/4 MOA!
Man you can hit out to 175yds but past that, flip a coin. Why spend more on optics?
Here's another tip, .17gr bullets are more accurate in your barrel length. Hornady Varmint Express .17 is lacking compared to Fed Premium V-Shok 17gr. The Feds seem to be machined better than my Hornady V-Max. Better groups anyways.
My Neighbor has the Savage H-bar. It is every bit as accurate as my Marlin Heavy Fluted Barrel.
Man, You're gonna love that Rifle.
Congrats!! Have Fun!!!:D

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I looked for the Federal ammo but no one locally has any (the black tip stuff?)

Someone else suggested that same scope....send me a link to it if you can. This one is only 1/4" adjustments...

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
dont forget the range report!
how do you like the trigger? i personally am hooked on savage accutriggers.

by the way the scope and the bi-pod are a very nice touch i like the looks of that a lot. and good choice on harris i have one on my ar-15 and i love it

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
oh full soup cans or full soda cans shakken up a bunch are FUN to shoot they do some real damage and will give you an idea of what the animals will look like on the inside.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The trigger is nice! I am a fan of the accu-trigger as well. I never thought about shooting soup cans, i'll probably leave those in the pantry and use all the 2 liters i've been saving for the range trip.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Check it.
BSA Contender Rifle Scope- 6-24x40,Duplex Reticle, by www.bestscopesonline.com

Paying for the Gimmick of the 17gr or the 20gr bullet. Sweet Series offers the change of the Elevation Barrel for 17 & 20 gr bullets with 17gr powder. It's not necessary. Brains over Ingenious. A better product accompanied by better brain power.

I added that to my favorites list (in the wish list folder). Now i just need to get mrs Foolery to browse it!

We'll see how this scope works out, i've used this same line on my marlin model 60 and liked it. I don't plan on any super long shots.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Dude, simply pull out the hornady bullet and pull out the Fed. Be picky and let us know what you see.
The black bullet is machined better. Softer Boarders and better shapes!
Let us know another opinion!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts