Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you read my other thread, you'll know that I decided to order a few things for my new gun.

I ordered a few mags from springfield, comp-tac MTAC ccw holster, amish gun belt, midway pistol case, 100 idpa paper practice targets, and 1000 rounds of practice ammo and 125 hollow points.

I was in orlando for the week, and when I got back home everything had arrived except for the ammo, which will be here wednesday.

I was surprised that one of the first things to arrive was my MTAC holster! I love this thing. I don't have my CCW permit yet, so I've just been wearing it around the house to get used to it (and so I can randomly draw and aim at clocks and stuff :)). The MTAC is extremely comfortable, I hardly notice I'm wearing it most of the time. I actually went to drive to the store and almost forgot to take it off! I sat down in the car and then realized it, had to walk back in the house and take it off. I was also extremely surprised at the amount of concealment it offers. I figured I would have to be careful what shirt I wore when wearing the holster to make sure it doesn't print, but I found that almost every shirt/t-shirt I have will work fine. Even bending over and twisting around you can barely notice it, looks like I have a cellphone on my belt or something.

I'm excited!!

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
What's up, St. Pete? Pasco county checking in...

Don't be scared to aim at clocks and whatnot, albeit with an unloaded weapon, obviously. The firearm replicas (Blue Guns) that I use to stitch rigs also prove to be an indispensable training tool to gain familiarity with a particular weapon system. If my neighbors could see me, they'd think I was touched in the head, making moves with a fake pistol like I can't let my childhood go.

I feel like a herb saying it, but I've experienced failures with them. I've drawn Blue Guns out of my own-designed holsters well in-excess of 10,000 times and have dealt with everything from garment interference in presentation/re-holstering, touching the mag release while drawing, touching the side of the trigger, dropping the pistol altogether, down to being denied drawing from my own darn holster! It's hard to convince the brain that it's only a drill, but if you run through it enough, every once in a while you can create a high-stress situation for yourself. Whenever it seemed like I succeeded, I usually had only the bottom half of the pistol grasped (XD 3").

Basically, train until you can't get it wrong (Magpul ?)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet if anyone was watching me they'd think I'm crazy. I'll be walking through the kitchen and just randomly pull my shirt up, draw the gun, and aim down the microwave. A few seconds later I reholster and go back to whatever I was doing.

I felt a little embarrassed when I went to draw it one time, caught my finger on my pants and the gun went flipping through the air and landed on the carpet. I forgot that it was unloaded and as it was flying through the air I jumped and ran around a corner to try to keep from getting hit if it fired :rolleyes:. After I remembered it was unloaded I was happy that no one was around to see that happen. I think I need a little more practice drawing for a concealed holster...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts