Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is my AR. It is an Armalite M15A4, which I shall call an M4 from here on out because, let's face it, I'm too lazy to type out M15A4 every time.

After several trials and errors, I finally decided to go with a Knights Armament Vertical Foregrip. I've tried Grippods and a Magpul Angled Foregrip, but neither one just really suited me. On the grippods I found the grip too thick and the "bipods" part pretty much useless. They dont work accuratly as bipods; they basically are there to sit your rifle down. The AFG might would work better on a longer weapon, but the 16'' barrel on my M4 just made it too short of a distance for the "technique" of it's employment. Plus I really really hated the instability of it. Both are well made (slightly overpriced for the GPS Grippods IMHO) pieces of gear; just not for me.

The standard pistol grip was a nuisance (too small/too hard to grip for me); I wrap my issued M16 grip with tennis tape at work to make it a little bit larger and easier to grip.
For my M4 I replaced it with a ERGO SureGrip. Best $20 I've ever spent on a piece of personal gear. For damn sure I will be getting another one to put on my issued M16 for my next trip downrange.

The original stock... well, I just wanted it gone hehe. Replaced it with a Magpul CTR stock. Fit was good and it is good and tight with the locking lever.

WARNING! If you have a milspec tube, get a milspec stock... If you have a commercial tube, get a commercial stock. Told that to a friend who didnt believe me... until he had to use a hammer to get his new (and broken) stock off.

Another little gadget I found that I haven't really made up my mind on ~ a Magpul BAD lever. While it is extremely fast on reloads (once you become accustomed to it), it can seem to get in the way inside the trigger guard. Also, more than once I have caught myself simply ignoring the fact that it was there. Since I dont have one on my issued M16, for the majority of my shooting, I dont have it, and therefore it's simply easier to do what comes natural. Still havent decided if I want to keep it or not.

Being a big guy with big hands, I have a BCM Gunfighter extended charging handle. Works well.

BUIS are a front sight post on the front (as per normal), and a military-styled flip up rear sight. The flip up is elevation and windage adjustable, and stows away nicely.

For a primary optic *right now* I have a cheap sightmark red dot. Works ok, but will eventually be replaced with and Aimpoint or Acog (which is TBD).

For illumination I have a SureFire Universal Weapon Light, activated by a tailcap on/off/momentary switch. It is the only piece of gear on the gun that has been to Irq and Afg.

Last but not least, I have a 1pt sling adapter installed.

These are the sites for most everything listed, and I have attached pictures of my weapon as well:

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=LEC15A4CBK&ReturnUrl=Categories.aspx?Category=8e8e5de6-5022-483e-812b-822e58014822 ARMALITE M15A4

http://www.operationparts.com/Kac_Knights_Forward_Vertical_Pistol_Grip_Black_p/97098.htm
KNIGHTS ARMAMENT VFG

http://www.grippod.com/gps02.html
GPS GRIPPOD

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG411/88
MAGPUL AFG

Ergo SureGrip Black
ERGO SUREGRIP

CTR® - Compact/Type Restricted
MAGPUL CTR STOCK

B.A.D. Lever® - Battery Assist Device
MAGPUL BAD LEVER

BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle, GFH Mod 4
BCM GUNFIGHTER CHARGING HANDLE

Matech 600m BUIS Sight AR15/M4 -
BUIS -REAR

Sightmark Sure Shot Reflex Sight SM13003B FREE S&H SM13003B. SightMark Red Dot Sights.
SIGHTMARK RED DOT

Millennium Universal WeaponLight System - M951XM07 available from SureFire
SUREFIRE WEAPONS LIGHT

Questions and Comments welcome, please feel free

Attachments

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
you must be in the military...I'm thinking that fore grip looks just like the ones issued by our arms room have a few laying around...lol

·
22,001 Posts
you must be in the military...I'm thinking that fore grip looks just like the ones issued by our arms room have a few laying around...lol
Funny how the Army looses parts for their M4's:D

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny how the Army looses parts for their M4's:D

Yea, they leave their guns laying around so the Marines can strip them of all the parts we dont have :cool:

I've used the grip and the BUIS before, so yes, they influenced the choices of getting them; familiarity, I guess. Some of our guys are issued grippods, so I had a chance to play with them before getting them. After using them... yea, they're sitting in my misc parts pile.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
knights armament foregrip good choice, I agree much better than the grip pod.

I liek the AFG, but if I used a foregrip it would be that one.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I am in the same boat on the "large hands" department. I looked at getting that charging handle, do you like the medium or do you think the large would have been better?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have the same exact M4. I bought mine from a buddy for $650. He had about 300rounds through it.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in the same boat on the "large hands" department. I looked at getting that charging handle, do you like the medium or do you think the large would have been better?
I find the medium quite adequate; that being said I havent tried the large, so I cant really give any feedback to it. There's been times with the standard charging handle that I've totally missed it because it was too small. I've never had that problem with this. I will be getting another for my M16 before my next pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts