Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you guys can give some advice. I have a Kimber Ultra II. I have had some work done on it (pissed me off that I had to - it jammed on the last round of every magazine. The throat needed extra polishing), but once fixed it has been flawless and very accurate. However, the gun is less then three years old and it looks awful. The finish on this gun is as cheap as anything I have ever seen. For a $1,000 gun it has a terrible finish. It is scratched, it is worn,and it looks like a 50 year old gun. I have guns that are more then 20 years old that look better than my Kimber. I have a Taurus 92 that I bought in 1986 and it looks better then this Kimber. Has anyone else found their Kimber to have a lousy finish? I love the gun and worn out looking or not, I still carry it a lot, but it looks like I carried it through WWII.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Maybe you guys can give some advice. I have a Kimber Ultra II. I have had some work done on it (pissed me off that I had to - it jammed on the last round of every magazine. The throat needed extra polishing), but once fixed it has been flawless and very accurate. However, the gun is less then three years old and it looks awful. The finish on this gun is as cheap as anything I have ever seen. For a $1,000 gun it has a terrible finish. It is scratched, it is worn,and it looks like a 50 year old gun. I have guns that are more then 20 years old that look better than my Kimber. I have a Taurus 92 that I bought in 1986 and it looks better then this Kimber. Has anyone else found their Kimber to have a lousy finish? I love the gun and worn out looking or not, I still carry it a lot, but it looks like I carried it through WWII.
Hard Chrome is your friend. My Custom target 2 looked like crap untill I had Tripp Research give it a make over. Now 5 years later it looks as good as it did the day I got it back.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
crappy finish gives a gun some character!

I'm not satisfied until my guns have holster wear on them at the very least!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lobster,

I don't totally disagree with you, but if your comment is true, then my gun has way more character then it should have after less then three years.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I use a Kimber Ultra Carry II and it's got the black anodized finish. 2 years and it still looks good. I agree with bigun, if you aren't happy with it, get it chromed. I like mine black though.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I agree about Kimber's finish. I have a Raptor II and it gets marked up very easily. Sad for such an expensive weapon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can you please post a picture of the Kimber you are posting about? Because I'm not sure which model you are referring to.:confused: $1000 for a Kimber Ultra Carry II seems to be quite high. I'm thinking you might be referring to a Custom Shop limited edition model. In 2005 my Ultra Carry II Stainless cost me $800 otd. I have never owned a blued Kimber but I'm very curious to see yours.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree about Kimber's finish. I have a Raptor II and it gets marked up very easily. Sad for such an expensive weapon.
How is the Raptor wearing? I have the same thing and it doesn't appear there is a finish on it. Polished flats and matte on the rounded areas. How can it wear if there isn't a finish? Unless you have the 3" or 4" and it's different than the 5"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mo'Guns,

I have no pictures of my Kimber. It is a 3" Tactical Ultra II. It is"shiny white" on just about every corner and edge. I wish to emphasize the fact that the gun shoots very well and very accurately and I trust it. It just seems to have a terrible finish. There are worse problems. I am unhappy with an expensive gun having such a weak finish.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What have you done to it? I have an ultra ten that has to be around 4-6 yrs old and still looks as good as the day I bought it, it has been in several types of holsters, lives in the safe. Not heard of kimbers looking like crap after any amount of time, a pic would be interesting to see. Sorry to hear that your kimber is ugly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had mine Duracoated. Only two parts in OD green. The frame and the slide. Everything else in flat balck. It looks great. Reasonably priced too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mo'Guns,

I have no pictures of my Kimber. It is a 3" Tactical Ultra II. It is"shiny white" on just about every corner and edge. I wish to emphasize the fact that the gun shoots very well and very accurately and I trust it. It just seems to have a terrible finish. There are worse problems. I am unhappy with an expensive gun having such a weak finish.
Thanks for clarifying. I was unaware of the Tactical Ultra II. I will now go do some further research. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts