Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YAY!!!!

I sent this thing off back in early September, and I just got it back. I sent it in due to some fte's and some bad rust. When I decided to send it back, I decided to pop for the infamous "Black-T" by Mr. Walter Birdsong, and boy am I glad I decided to. I have an Armory Kote TRP 1911, and the Black T is very nice in comparison. The gun is completely dry, no oil or grease. I will keep it this way when I go to the range tomorrow. Mr. Birdsong himself told me that with his Black-T finish, oil will only reduce the lubricity of the coating. It is fully self lubricating. Every metal part in this gun, springs included are now Black-T coated, and just dry firing it and vigirously working the action, it "feels like buttah!"

On a side note, S.A. also decided to replace the locking block with the updated design, replace all the springs, replace the trigger bar and test fire it. I also had them install some of the SA XD Nite Sites by Trigicon. These are NICE.

Oh yeah, one cool note. I sent the gun off with 1 mag, as per their instructions. They sent the gun back with 2. VERY SWEET!

Thanks S.A.!!! You guys really do ROCK!!!

Oh, almost forgot the photos... I know you guys would be disappointed if I didnt post photos, and I dont want to hear the whole "Pics or it didnt happen" thing, LOL.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
How much did the Black-T treatment cost? On every metal part, I would be pretty interested!

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
How much did the Black-T treatment cost? On every metal part, I would be pretty interested!
It was $160. Takes a while though. Birdsong usually takes 3 months or so, but from everything I have researched about it, its worth it.

Its actually listed on Springfield Armory's custom shop worksheet. I placed a link to it below for you.

Cheers!

Springfield Armory

·
Registered
706 Posts
I never heard of that coating before. I'm interested in your trip to the range for a action report.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Dayum that is a gorgeous finish! Thanks for posting the pics...

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Very very cool. hard to believe it is the same rusty gun you showed awhile back. I have the exact same gun and although I dont have rust problems, I do believe I am going to get the same thing done to it. It is going to be hard to part with it for so long. But first I need to save up my money so I can pay for it.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Wow! That gun looks brand-spanking new.

Impressive!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm curious how the barrel block is going to look after firing, kinda curious to see after the slide racks back after a few rounds. Looks fantastic by the way!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice finish. I haven't heard anything thing about it until now. It should reduce the cleaning chores, no oil to attract dirt.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm wondering, what's different about the locking block? How is it updated, or was it just updated from the HS version to the XD version?

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They cut small semi-circles in the corners of the inside of the locking block to spread the stresses over a larger area. The old design was just 90* angles.

Ill post photos in a bit... S.A. did a great job. They tuned the extractor and polished the feed ramp for me in addition to everything else.

Kudos S.A. You guys ROCK!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Looks like a new lady!!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

that is one sweet looking gun. It definately looks brand new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts