Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling a slug gun with a scope in order to buy a new firearm. I should make out with about $500. My hope is to use that money to put towards another gun. My two options: a rile in .308 for recreation purposes; a CZ upland ultralight 28".

Here are my reasons for each:

1. I want the rifle for sharpshooting only and recreation. I was looking at the savage LE models in .308. I like them a lot! Plus, if they open up rifle here for deer, I'll be all set. (it's currently shotgun only).

2. My hearing takes a beating from the Stoeger Coach Gun when I go ruffed grouse hunting up north. My left ear rings after several shots. Part of it is because my left ear canal is very big. Part of it I think is because of the 20" barrel on the coach gun. And while I've gotten very good with the coach gun, I want to save my hearing. That's why I'm also considering the CZ upland ultralight in a 28" barrel design, in hopes that it will be much quieter (but I have no idea).

What is the difference in sound from a 20" and a 28" 12 gauge barrel?

I am currently waiting on a set of these: Sonic Defenders<sup>®</sup> <i>Plus</i> from SureFire
I want to see if these make the difference.

Does anyone else struggle with hearing issues when hunting? If so what would you suggest?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Sorry to reply on a tangent to your question, but are there serious discussions about allowing rifles in upstate? I grew up there and it always was just dumb we could only use slug guns for deer, as the forests I hunted were thick and hilly.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Do you need hearing aids when not hunting? If so, wear them when shooting or hunting. Most have sound supression for loud noises and will surpress gun shots. The aids you bought may work if they fit your enlarged ear channel without leaking around the plug.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to reply on a tangent to your question, but are there serious discussions about allowing rifles in upstate? I grew up there and it always was just dumb we could only use slug guns for deer, as the forests I hunted were thick and hilly.
Yes, they are slowly opening areas one by one. It makes sense and people are starting to understand this. Apology accepted.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you need hearing aids when not hunting? If so, wear them when shooting or hunting. Most have sound supression for loud noises and will surpress gun shots. The aids you bought may work if they fit your enlarged ear channel without leaking around the plug.
No, I don't need hearing aids yet (although I'm sure down the road) so I don't have any. Otherwise that would be good.

The ones I bought from Surefire are really just plugs with a valve in them for concussive impulses that exceed 85db.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
No, I don't need hearing aids yet (although I'm sure down the road) so I don't have any. Otherwise that would be good.

The ones I bought from Surefire are really just plugs with a valve in them for concussive impulses that exceed 85db.
If they work, they might be all you need.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
it's still loud as ****.

get proper fitting ear protection. GOOD ear protection. there's more than one nice option that still allows you to hear and be protected.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
I hate muffs. That's why I only wear plugs. There is a place (I don't recall the website) that makes cutom fit electronic ear plugs (especially if you have large ear canals). From what I recall, they weren't too incredibly overpriced. They allow for normal hearing, but quiet the loud noise impulse.

Hopefully, someone has a link for you.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
get a good bird gun:cool: The smaller barrels are little louder but if you having trouble you probably will have issues with the longer barrel too.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get a good bird gun:cool: The smaller barrels are little louder but if you having trouble you probably will have issues with the longer barrel too.
I made the mistake of shooting 3" magnum 6 shot out of the coach gun... Instant ringing for my ear.

I like your reasoning. I DO need a good bird gun. I'm also hoping that the combination of the two (plugs that allow conversation, and the 28" barrels) will do the trick.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Don't take your hearing for granted. I lost my hearing at age two due to a high fever. I had what called progressive hearing loss. I wore hearing aids for years and I speak and function exactly the way a "normal" person does and don't know sign language. When I was about 12-13 I woke up one morning and put my hearing aid in my left hear and nothing. I lost it over night. That was scary. So my parent got me a cochlear implant and I am the first child in the entire United States to recieve it. The docs did not want to do it on children. After the parents fought etc I got it. I never wore it did not like it one bit. Fast forward to about 25 years of age I was on the way to shoot my first center fire gun. I never shot because of my hearing. On the car ride out I lost the rest of my hearing. I don't know what is worst waking up to no hearing or losing your hearing while your wide awake. I now use the implant and love it. I am 28 years old now. I hear better than I ever have before....boarder line normal hearing. Now I can shoot all I want etc. I still use protection because I have experienced loud ringing when the plugs were not inserted right. Bottom line is ringing in the hears from loud noises means hearing loss. You might not notice it now but over time you will. Might take years might take less. Just wear proper protection. Thats my two cents. Take it from someone who knows what hearing loss is like. Everyday I wish I never got that fever.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm selling a slug gun with a scope in order to buy a new firearm. I should make out with about $500. My hope is to use that money to put towards another gun. My two options: a rile in .308 for recreation purposes; a CZ upland ultralight 28".

Here are my reasons for each:

1. I want the rifle for sharpshooting only and recreation. I was looking at the savage LE models in .308. I like them a lot! Plus, if they open up rifle here for deer, I'll be all set. (it's currently shotgun only).

2. My hearing takes a beating from the Stoeger Coach Gun when I go ruffed grouse hunting up north. My left ear rings after several shots. Part of it is because my left ear canal is very big. Part of it I think is because of the 20" barrel on the coach gun. And while I've gotten very good with the coach gun, I want to save my hearing. That's why I'm also considering the CZ upland ultralight in a 28" barrel design, in hopes that it will be much quieter (but I have no idea).

What is the difference in sound from a 20" and a 28" 12 gauge barrel?

I am currently waiting on a set of these: Sonic Defenders<sup>®</sup> <i>Plus</i> from SureFire
I want to see if these make the difference.

Does anyone else struggle with hearing issues when hunting? If so what would you suggest?

Just as a matter of information concerning shooting shotguns or any other type firearm you will definately suffer permanent hearing loss without using sound protection.
High frequency hearing loss is permanent so be forwarned but if youre not having a hearing problem at this time then you may not have it at this time.
There are sound protectors which will cancel out firearm noises to a safe level and still allow you to hear at convesation levels the cost is about $38.00 up to about $500.00 and there are types which look like hearing aids, they cost about $430.00, You can find them by going to Midwayusa.com on youre computer or just type in hearing protection for other areas.
I have high frequency hearing loss so I can explain how it can affect you
like right now I have a ringing in my ears, if Im not thinking about it, it doesnt bother me unless theres multiple conversations going on in a room at the same time or a woman with a soft voice is talking I usually cant understand what they are saying, or when someone is talking and theres background noise
There are hearing aids for high frquency hearing loss , in my case the cost starts at about $800.00.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Strange, where I grew up was upstate NY and you could use rifles for deer? The only place I remember not being able to use rifles was the catskills.
Not true, I have been deer hunting in Sullivan County for 40 years with a rifle, and still do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts