Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was sitting here in the living room practicing some malfunction drills with my new XD(m) .40 3.8 compact... failure to battery, misfires, double feeds, stove pipes. I practice these drills all the time just trying to make sure they are second nature. Well of course when doing the drill for stove pipes my snapcap (I couldn't find the plastic ones in 40 locally so I ended up with metal ones) scrapes right across the top of the slide when I'm clearing it and when I look down at the top of my slide my heart just sank. Staring right back at me was a nice long scratch across the top of the slide. I'm sure it possibly still could have scratched with plastic snap caps but I'm sure the metal snap caps didn't help it any.

Oh well... you are bound to get a ding or scratch at some point. Might as well get it early and get the heartbreak over with. Besides... I don't get guns to look at. This is my EDC so I plan to train like crazy with it so it will undoubtedly get scratched, scuffed and beat up. Just drawing and holstering drills would have done it over time so no bigs.

I just thought it was funny how my heart sank and I felt bad because it is such a fine looking piece of craftsmanship. Boo frickin hoo! Use that SOB... that is what they are for, right?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I'm not afraid of the guy with a shiny gun and new holster... Its the guy who wears the scratched up, used-looking gun in the finely worn holster that I worry about. He's the one who knows how to use it

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but as some say, "Guns are Tools, use them as such!!"

That was the one you won in the Dual, correct?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not afraid of the guy with a shiny gun and new holster... Its the guy who wears the scratched up, used-looking gun in the finely worn holster that I worry about. He's the one who knows how to use it
Never really thought of it that way, but it makes sense to me!

Sorry to hear that, but as some say, "Guns are Tools, use them as such!!"

That was the one you won in the Dual, correct?
Yep. Another reason I can't really be upset... it isn't like I dropped 600 bones for it.

My XD9sc has plenty of wear on it because that was my EDC and I trained, drilled and practiced like crazy with it and wore it non stop for pretty much the past couple of years. No reason I shouldn't expect my new EDC to wind up the same way.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never owned a .40 before. I have shot plenty of them but never really cared for them (thought they were too snappy). However after shooting the XDM .40 compact I didn't think it was really THAT snappy. Actually going back and forth between my 9 & .40 if I had to quantify it with a number I would say the .40 only felt about 15-20% snappier. It wasn't that bad at all. I liked it. I liked it enough to replace my XD9sc and I LOVE that little booger. I'll never get rid of the 9... I just replaced it as my carry piece.

Only way I would get rid of the .40 is if somebody got the XDM .45 compact and decided it really wasn't for them. I would possibly consider a trade (after trying it out of course). I don't think I'll be getting rid of it though. It was a dream to shoot.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Why should he sell his gun because you hate .40s? :rolleyes:

I dont like 9mms, but hey, what you carry is up to you. My wife has a 9mm because thats what she likes.
you mis-read what i typed. when there is a comma it is sometimes used as a break of thought. i typed>>>>> sell it(due to the scratch), i hate .40's!(i dislike .40cal pistols), next time read into it more before calling someone out

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
you mis-read what i typed, when there is a comma it is sometimes used as a break of thought, i typed sell it(due to the scratch), i hate .40's!(i dislike .40cal pistols), next time read into it more before calling someone out
Pretty sure that's a semicolon for a break in thought... Didnt mean to misunderstand you.

Calling you out? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, now it is pre scratched so you don't have to worry about any new scratches.

Its the black one....right? Try using your oil on a rag and rubbing it, the scratch should go away...atleast a little
I did that. A drop of Hoppe's 9 on a soft rag and buffed until the oil went away. And then I took my silicon impregnated Rusty's Rag and buffed over it a few swipes and wiped off the excess. You can't even tell it is there unless you are looking for it or in just the prefect light.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The first scratch or ding always hurts the most.

·
Registered
538 Posts
This reminds me of a thread I believe I saw here, where a new gun was compared to a dirtbike. Put the brand new, spotless bike on a stand and gaze at it in all of its glory....then kick the hell out of onto the floor.

Not to suggest you kick your piece, but yeah, that first scratch is the roughest!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Very true !!!

OP,
Take it outside, drop it a few times, run over it with a car, and watch it continue to live up to it's eXtreme Duty name ;) :p

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
ummmmmm sorry???? it is a gun it will happen and it will happen over and over. my gun looks like crap from holster wear, and range time and everything else which has gone its way. dont think of it as a scratch think of it as a well seasoned gun...

·
Registered
29,874 Posts
Do you worry when the head of your hammer gets a little dinged when you start pounding nails?

You need to decide if your pistol is a tool to be used or a bit of shiny to be pampered.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.