Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was headed for Bed on Tuesday night, I glanced over at my nightstand and there laid an empty pad with no gun, and no spare clip 0.o

Naturally i tore the house apart looking for it to no avail, and i always make sure i place it right beside the bed when i take it off...

So how weird / jacked up is that? Someone waltzed up in my house, touched nothing and took only my Gun, a spare clip and my crossbreed holster? My shotgun was right beside it and they didn't touch it or my range bag which is loaded with ammo. Both clips were loaded with Federal HST's and would most likely have my fingerprints all over them.

I called the po-po's and reported it as stolen, then i replaced my back door, installed an alarm and repaired my fence so my dogs can run around back there versus being locked up in the house.

It could have been worse i guess, but... i mean they could have at least left the holster!

I guess now i can tell the wife i want to get a .40 ?
-Flashy

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ouch! That really sucks! My thought is, since it was the only thing touched, that someone knew what they were after. Just my 2C...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sounds to me like it's someone you know. They knew what they wanted, went straight for it, and left without touching anything else. If it's your carry gun, why was it not on you when you were not home? Happen to be the one time you forgot it??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Sounds to me like it's someone you know. They knew what they wanted, went straight for it, and left without touching anything else. If it's your carry gun, why was it not on you when you were not home? Happen to be the one time you forgot it??
+1

That sucks that it was stolen, I know the feeling. If you are not carrying when you are out of the house you should probably be locking it up. Have you thought about buying a safe?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1

That sucks that it was stolen, I know the feeling. If you are not carrying when you are out of the house you should probably be locking it up. Have you thought about buying a safe?

Well, i can't really take it to work or church, and I like having it by the bed at night for the quick grab... If i replace it and go subcompact then i may carry it regardless. I also liked having it there for my wife though when she's home alone.

I agree that it was probably someone I know. Would suck if I made a false accusation though lol...

·
Registered
204 Posts
you replaced the back door you said.was that the point of entry the thief entered,other words,did he/they break down the rear door.I 've would have taken the shotgun as a bonus.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats sucks man.

Worse then that, now you're going to have to wait 6-8 weeks for a new holster.

Lol, Seriously! I can pick up a gun today, but the holster takes forever lol..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you replaced the back door you said.was that the point of entry the thief entered,other words,did he/they break down the rear door.I 've would have taken the shotgun as a bonus.
The rear door was really easy to pop open (no deadbolt) and he damaged the trim.. So i replaced the whole door...

It was just barely staying closed as it was. I actually had washers behind the little latch thingy to push it closer to the .. the other thingy.. o.0

And once their in my backyard, their are pretty consealed. He could have played poker back there and swam in the pool for a few hours if he wanted to. I put up security lights around the house too. Next paycheck i'll probably kick out some cameras.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Last year I had a Sig P226 9mm taken the same way they hit the back door (steel clad) so hard the frame was knocked out of the wall so i don't think it was kids They als took 3 boxes of 45acp hollow-points but left a 18" barrel 12 ga. that was next to the night table the Sig was on. I Don't know why the 45s(other then just dumb a$$es) as there where 9s right next to them on the shelf. I was using the 9mm as a HD gun because of the Hicap mag. My EDC a Sig 220 is there at night and gets picked up every day. I also bought a low cost safe for ammo storage as I keep a large amount of ammo by most peoples ideas. LEOs just seemed not to care that another gun was on the street. All this did get me to buy a XD9 so it was not all bad.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The rear door was really easy to pop open (no deadbolt) and he damaged the trim.. So i replaced the whole door...

It was just barely staying closed as it was. I actually had washers behind the little latch thingy to push it closer to the .. the other thingy.. o.0

And once their in my backyard, their are pretty consealed. He could have played poker back there and swam in the pool for a few hours if he wanted to. I put up security lights around the house too. Next paycheck i'll probably kick out some cameras.
did you have the serial number to report to the police? It obviously sounds like someone you know. It doesn't seem like they were looking for money, because they would have taken the shotgun too, so maybe it's someone with a grudge who's looking for a weapon they can't have linked back to them... Not saying it's the case, but you don't want a murder to fall in your lap just because it was your weapon that was used.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did you have the serial number to report to the police? It obviously sounds like someone you know. It doesn't seem like they were looking for money, because they would have taken the shotgun too, so maybe it's someone with a grudge who's looking for a weapon they can't have linked back to them... Not saying it's the case, but you don't want a murder to fall in your lap just because it was your weapon that was used.

Yeah, i was able to provide the SN's. I kept all of that stuff in the XDM box which was in the closet.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
That sucks. Sounds like an inside job. Glad you had the funds to beef up security like that. WHat the heck did you wait for? Ah well. Live and learn.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sucks. Sounds like an inside job. Glad you had the funds to beef up security like that. WHat the heck did you wait for? Ah well. Live and learn.

Lol, I actually lit up my credit card... I agree though that I should have done it sooner. My priorities haven't always been lined up correctly...

Toys are more fun to buy :/

I'm thinking i could have some fun with the cameras though :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
Bet you wish you had made all those security updates a tad earlier. Good thing it was only your gun. Coulda been worse. I've been there, I know.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, i can't really take it to work or church, and I like having it by the bed at night for the quick grab... If i replace it and go subcompact then i may carry it regardless. I also liked having it there for my wife though when she's home alone.
Some thoughts:

Get a safe and lock up your gun when you're not there and can't carry it. Only bring it out to carry it or when you go to bed. When you get up, put it back in the safe until you're ready to carry again or you're going to bed. Basically, if the gun's not with you, either in your holster or by the bed when you're in it, keep it in the safe.

As for your wife, make sure she knows how to open the safe, and consider getting her a carry set up. If she's just going to be carrying it on your own property, then she probably doesn't need to get any permits, but that might not be the case in every state.

I got my gun before I had a safe, and I was paranoid every day that someone would break in the house and take it. For most of my stuff, I'd be upset if someone took it. With my gun, I'd be sick with myself that I might be providing a weapon for someone to use in a crime. Now that I got a safe, I can at least know that I've done something to prevent that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts