Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 6'6 and have largish paws.

I get a FANTASTICALLY secure grip on my XDM45 by lining my thumbs up and pointed downrange. The only problem comes on that last round when my right hand thumb is resting in the slide catch and prohibiting it from jumping up after the last round is fired.

I'm embarrassed to say it took me WAY too long to figure out it wasn't just a gun-breakin issue ;)

So the most comfortable, secure grip for me leaves my thumbs resting along the takedown lever and the slide catch. I've been practicing with snap caps to see if something else will work, and the best I can come up with is to place my left thumb on the takedown lever and then my right thumb just kind of rests on the second knuckle of the left.

I think that's clear but I could post a pic if I have to.

Anyway it feels less secure than what I was doing before, but I want to shoot this thing in some competitive environments and a slide that doesn't lock back, combined with my remedial math means I'll end up wasting a lot of time between attempts to fire on an empty chamber and then having to rack back again for reloads.

Any suggestions?

Am I putting too much importance on the right thumb being able to PRESS on something instead of just rest there?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
There exists a plastic deal that pins on to add a beaver tail like thing.

I think Mag Loc makes it.

That said, I changed my grip to bring my right thumb to be on top of my left hand and over far enough to not hit the slide stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion^

Looking at those photos it appears my right hand thumb would extend way past that shelf that maglock is adding, so my thumb would still either be coming up and over onto the slide release or be sticking up in the air.

I need to take some pics.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion^

Looking at those photos it appears my right hand thumb would extend way past that shelf that maglock is adding, so my thumb would still either be coming up and over onto the slide release or be sticking up in the air.

I need to take some pics.
The thumb up might not be such a bad thing.....you could give your assailant the thumbs up before drilling him with 13 rnds of 230 grain awesomeness :)

In all seriousnes though, try moving the problem thumb away from the slide stop about 1/8" while its still on top of your left thumb, it should make a world of differance.

Pics would help though

D

·
0 Posts
You have to put your right thumb over your left thumb. I know it feels much more secure the way you're doing it now, and indeed, it is, but... it just doesn't work. It'll disable the slide stop.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same problem for a while when I first got my XD a few years back. Never had this problem with any other pistol. The only way I got past it was to leave my strong hand thumb pointed up and out (not touching the gun) until my support hand palm came into contact with the grip, with support thumb lined up with target resting on the take down lever, then I would slightly wrap my strong hand hand thumb around my support hand thumb. Hope that makes sense. Took some getting used to but I did this over and over from the draw and now it's second nature. Keeps the thumb well away from the XD's large slide release.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You are squeezing sideways with your thumb against the slide or frame that's not a good grip. Your thumb should rest on top of your weak hand rear part of the thumb not the slide or frame.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the same issue with my XD40. Had to finally trade it in on a M&P40c because the design and location of the slide stop doesn't create the same issue for me. I know that some recommend the strong thumb to overlap the weak thumb, but I'm used to riding the thumb safety on my 1911, so my thumbs and hands align more naturally when both thumbs are following the barrel of the gun and not overlapping. I had the same issue when I had a Sig P220. Obviously not an issue with either gun, its just the design does not work for how I shoot the most comfortably. So the real solution is to either train yourself on a different grip, or buy a different gun.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's really wasn't that big of a deal for me to slide my top thumb over just barely to get it off of the slide stop. I agree with agalindo. You shouldn't be squeezing with your thumb anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts