Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally got my Granddaddys 1911 handed down to me. My Mom had put it in a box and forgot about it. It has been untouched for 30+ years. No one can remember it being fired and no one knows how old it is. It has a Remington slide and the frame says Essex on it.

If you rack the slide it will not feed, the round stays in the magizine.

If you put one in the chamber and rack the slide it will pull the round about half way back, will not eject, and will either rechamber the round or block the slide half open.

If fired the slide cycles but the casing gets stuck and holds the slide open.
Takes a pair of pliers to remove the spent casing, but not very much force needed.

I have tried two different magazines, one would allow chambering but still will not eject. All the different mags work fine in my 1911.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Any value to this gun other than sentament?
Would this be worth customizing?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I can't help you with the value, but you really need to have a smith look at it and tell you what needs to be done in order to get it functioning properly. With the age of the gun, and the amount of time it has been sitting untouched, I personally wouldn't fire that thing at all without a smith looking at it first.

Can we get some pics of the gun?

·
21,869 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad extractor and mag. I would clean the crap out of it if you really want to shoot it.

PICS PLEASE!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't help you with the value, but you really need to have a smith look at it and tell you what needs to be done in order to get it functioning properly. With the age of the gun, and the amount of time it has been sitting untouched, I personally wouldn't fire that thing at all without a smith looking at it first.

Can we get some pics of the gun?
i agree

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the pics...not a good camera.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any Gunsmith recos? I am 50 miles east of Atlanta GA.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I would almost venture to say clean the bejesus out of it...as in full armory dissassembly then clean each and every part and put it together..

If you want to be 100% absolutely sure...take it to a gunsmith!

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
With the family history there, if it were mine (and you certainly don't have to do what I'd do) I'd figure out how much I wanted to spend on it and go from there. At the very least, I'd take it to a competent 1911 'smith and have it gone though (as mentioned). Assuming that discoloration is rust, I'd also get some quotes on having the whole thing blasted and then re-parkerized at the same time. Looks like a great family heirloom, and if you put a little money and work into it I see no reason why you couldn't be handing it down to your grandkids.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it ok if I highjack my own thread?
This is the other one I got last year. My granddaddy brought it back from WW2.
It is a mauser P-38

·
Registered
144 Posts
Both look like good condition, and a nice collection. Would be a shame to not have them functioning, esp if a simple fix for a smith, whether you wanted to shoot them or not.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a sin to have and not shoot.

P-38 functions perfectly and is smooth as glass.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a 1943

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Any Gunsmith recos? I am 50 miles east of Atlanta GA.
Yes and I can personally vouch for the quality of his work. Give Brian Ott a call. He can work some magic on a 1911. Unfortunately, he's on the other side of town from you, but for someone of his knowledge and excellent business practices, I'd make the drive. Also, you should check out www.georgiapacking.org. They have lots of great local info on it.

Here's Brian's website.

About Us | Ott Gun Works

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would take the 1911 and just have a good cleaning done to it. That will probably fix the feed problem. I wouldn't have it refinished or anything like that because I would want it just like my grandad had it. It is perfect just like it is to me. They have the 'look' when they are kept like that and not refinished.

When you refinish an oringinal, it just ain't the same. Look at Burt Reynolds.;)

kenken

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
WOW. alot of history right there. very nice. PLEASE by no means sell them. pass them to your kids. even if money is tight find away.

I was suppose to get my great grand fathers collection 10 years ago when my great grand mother finally passed. i did not know much about guns then i know there was 1911s one he had when he was in WWII and a few long guns, but do to stupid family members they took them all and sold them.

·
Registered
791 Posts
yea i dont know any in north georgia but i do know a few about 4 hours south of you lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts