Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having a few scares in the past two years and a few range visits she has recently become interested in handguns. She has been enjoying 22s and plans to improve her technique. She has enjoyed the range visits but we have not purchased a handgun for her yet. One in mind is the ruger sr22.

After going out to dinner we went to gander mountain. I thought she would continue to look at clothes and other items while I was window shopping at the gun counter. I was currently looking at a browning high power made by FN in Belgium. I looked over and was surprised to find she was checking out a ruger lc380 and a ruger lc9s. I was shocked to find the she was interested in these. She could rack the slide easily on the 380 but had slight trouble with the 9mm. She found the striker fired 9mm had an excellent trigger. She is asking lots of questions and having fun with it while remembering safety. Although she has no interest to carry she is wanting something for home defense which I'm very happy about. After a weird guy came into her work she had found out a girl at work carrys and she thought it was great more women are carrying now. I have not been pushy as she is finding what firearms she likes and does not like

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
buy her a gun... the SR22 is a fine gun--I personally prefer the Walther P22 but they are pretty similar

I bought my lady a XD40 Stainless for V-day last year and its interested her in shooting and eventually carrying more now that she has 'her' gun...if she changes her mind later, I have yet to see quality firearms lose value in this market (long as its not an AR!)

as a bonus, it runs the same mags as my Sub Comp so I have an excuse to buy more :grin:

Reactions: diesel lover

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She did agree 100% that if she had her own it would be a lot better. She needs a personal gun and we have both looked at ways that it can be personalized so she feels it belongs to her.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The SR 22 is an excellent 22. Have her try the SR9c. My mom was in a similar situation and she found she could manipulate the SR 9c very well.

Reactions: unclejed

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That's great to hear she is interested in getting her own handgun. Hopefully, you have a range near you that does rentals and that way she might be able to a try a few different models before you or her put money down on one.

Reactions: unclejed

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
My wife picked the LC380. Easy for her to rack the slide, and less recoil than a J-Frame .38. She's never shot a .22 before, since we didn't meet until the Great Rimfire Depression had already begun (I have thousands of rounds stored away, but didn't want to break any seals). She does well with the .380 though.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Mine went from a S&W 22 revolver to the XDs 9 in one jump....she's not quite ready for CC, but learning her way around the semi action.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Have her shoot a G19. She'll ditch the idea of those loooong trigger pull Rugers. (not talking about the .22s).

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I have not been pushy as she is finding what firearms she likes and does not like
Good job here. What worked really well for my wife was finding a range that had "Ladies Night" as entropy87 suggested. All rentals were free so we shot damn near every .380 and 9mm in the case. She loved it and found the gun she shot and handled the best.

Better get ready though. That first gun turned into two pistols, an AR, shortly her own Benelli, a lot more time in the garage reloading, and my bruised ego from time to time when she out shoots me with my bolt gun.

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
I bought my wife a Ruger SR22 for Christmas. She loves it!

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
The new LC9s is an awesome carry gun. Sadly, I have the old style and broke down and felt the new s model trigger. Night and day. If the recoil isn't too snappy that would be a good one for her. Personally not a Glock fan and even less of a Glock fan for a new shooter that may choose to purse carry. But like others have said, let her handle, and if possible shoot, as many guns as possible while steering her away from even handling the craptastic ones. Good luck.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
BTW, racking the slide will get easier for her as time goes on and just about any gun will loosen up after repeated use.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
I agree with DirtyRod's suggestion: don't be pushy, let her try some rentals and find out what she likes/dislikes about each one she tries. The suggestions you're reading here are decent guns, but nothing should be bought without your GF getting hands-on time before purchase.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I'm slowly working towards getting my lady to want to go shooting. She use to shoot with her grandpa but the 22 rifle that was suppose to go to her instead went to her deadbeat worthless uncle (her words). So she hasn't shot since, and she has some animosity about it because that was her and her grandpa's thing. I tried to by the rifle back from the guy but he says he won't that it is locked up safe (probably pawned). So Its a slow process here.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The SR 22 is an excellent 22. Have her try the SR9c. My mom was in a similar situation and she found she could manipulate the SR 9c very well.
Unfortunately I stayed away from the sr9c and sr40c due to the light strike issues they had for a little while. I did not think of the sr9c but it may be a great buy. I have been interested in getting a 9mm due to lower cost and availablity over 380/ 22. Thanks for the idea. The subcompact sr9c/40 series feel great in the hands! I like the controls as well and I like striker or double action mechanisms

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wife picked the LC380. Easy for her to rack the slide, and less recoil than a J-Frame .38. She's never shot a .22 before, since we didn't meet until the Great Rimfire Depression had already begun (I have thousands of rounds stored away, but didn't want to break any seals). She does well with the .380 though.
That's kinda what we were thinking. She likes the larger 380s smaller 9mms and has no interest in pocket guns like the lcp and bodygaurd 380. Too small to shoot for fun she says

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's the list of guns she has shot,
Smith and wesson competition 22 - first gun she ever shot

Walther pk380 which was ok but then she wanted to go back to a 22 so at the rangewe traded it for a Walther p22 which fits her hands perfectly very close to the ruger sr22

Smith and wesson m&p 22 which she said was a little too large to shoot for fun but she had a lot of fun with it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts