Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine knows absolutely nothing about guns, and I doubt has ever handled or fired one (and him being a hard-left Dem, I'm not going to be the one to show him, and out myself as to how many different guns I own).

A bunch of us friends were together, and the topic of guns and calibers came up. The homeowner had a few different types of rounds sitting around, and we had them lined up on the table to show the differences. My Dem friend expressed his unease at being around live ammo, and the rest of us were a bit confused. We assured him it cannot just "go off," and even if it did so, without a supporting chamber most likely what would happen is a single case rupture and the powder would burn off out the side of the case, and the bullet itself would perhaps leave the case at about "this speed" (at which point I picked up a round and tossed it at one of my other friends, lightly hitting him in the arm).
:shock: <- Dem's face.

Does anyone know of any on-line videos or something along the line of a Mythbusters-type show that demonstrated what would happen with a case rupture outside a chamber? I vaguely remember some show I saw where a full magazine was shot to prove that the ammo in the mag wouldn't explode.

·
Super Moderator
22,195 Posts
You could drop it on the concrete and watch it NOT go off.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't watch 'til later, but I imagine that is exactly what I need, Thunder. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Seems like a common myth about live ammo... a noobie I took for a range trip yesterday asked if the round could go off if the back of the case was hit... I said yeah, if you take a nail and hammer it into the primer!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Also should have pointed out that a pointy object needs to hit the primer (point at it) in order for it to ignite and set off the powder.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
You could have picked the smallest TMJ and ate it. When you hear it go "plink" in the toilet, wash it off and mail it to him. ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
You could have picked the smallest TMJ and ate it. When you hear it go "plink" in the toilet, wash it off and mail it to him. ;)
Hahaha yeah do that!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Sounds like a lost cause, just be his friend and forget about guns and ammo around him

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
We've had our share of newbies ask questions about having ammo in pockets are too close to a cell phone.
If you reload fire up some powder on the garage floor 2 or 3 grains. Show him powder does not explode, just burns fast. Heck hit the powder with a hammer. Set off a primer in a shell with no bullet or powder, then load a primer in shell and toss it around to show him it won't magically go off.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Sounds like a lost cause, just be his friend and forget about guns and ammo around him
Or... grab a handful of rounds and throw them up in air, at the same time yelling RUUUNNNNN... then smirk and laugh when nothing happens and the guy feels like an idiot;)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Seems like a common myth about live ammo... a noobie I took for a range trip yesterday asked if the round could go off if the back of the case was hit... I said yeah, if you take a nail and hammer it into the primer!

Haha, I asked that same question the first time I went to the range :oops:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Your "friend" suffers from fear out of ignorance. He watches too much liberal tv & the only way to make that type understand is take them shooting. Get a 22lr pistol & take him/her shooting. Education is the key, unfortunately, too many liberals have the wrong kind of education.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We had a strange occurrence during a match one time. A guy had what I assume was a hang fire and he must have mistaked it for a dud and cleared the chamber. When it hit the ground, it went off.:shock: I saw it hit the ground and a immediate fizz/pop followed. I got hit by a small piece in the arm but it did no damage. It was a 9mm. Based on the dents on the inside of the oven, I would not want to be around a larger caliber round if it were to go off like that though. I think a cooked off round would probably be more energetic than one that goes off at room temp though.

I think the best way to prove how hard of a shock a bullet will take is to get a bullet puller and pull a bullet by smacking it on the concrete 5 or 6 times. When I first started reloading and had to pull some bullets, I always cringed whenever I hit the puller on the ground in my garage.

PS - I thnk I would still drop a couple on the ground in front of him though just to mess with him. :twisted:

·
Registered
17,758 Posts
Show him a fuel air bomb..then ask him how he feels about driving around with that UNDER him all day long!

Explain to him small arm cartridges the most stable of the explosive class

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Isnt eating lead kind of a bad idea:???:

That's why I said TMJ. No exposed lead. If your stomach can eat through a copper plated TMJ, you have bigger issues than lead poisoning, lol.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Take him to the range and let him shoot ! Tell him ammo is not like nitro-glycerin and drop a 45 acp on the floor off the top of your head !

1 - 20 of 48 Posts