Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What do you think ?

The grips have the coiled snake at the bottom also , a bit hard to make out in the picture .

Just ordered it .

I think this" may be the start of a beautiful relationship " - with revolvers !

Already I'm looking at S & W older models ...... 629......... 686

The beauty and quality entice me .............................

·
Registered
96 Posts
Love the snub nose and the militia theme, but I can't get into hammerless. They just look off to me. I wish I could get past that though, because it makes sense to not have the hammer.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I recently acquired a 642 as well, its a great gun. To the guy who doesnt like a certain gu because of looks...well....

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Got similar in a parkerized aluminum frame Colt with a hammer. Okay it's nothing like it, but it was my first wheel gun 30 years ago. Can't shoot +P loads. No big deal. It fills a niche.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I recently acquired a 642 as well, its a great gun. To the guy who doesnt like a certain gu because of looks...well....

Well What? Obviously one of the reasons you buy or like a specific gun is because of the looks. Look at all of the people on the forum that filled in the letters on their XDs with color. Why do you think they did it? Because they liked the look. Even the OP commented on the snake on the gun, wich I would assume he likes because of the look.

I said it was a nice gun I just don't like the look of no hammer. :confused:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Well What? Obviously one of the reasons you buy or like a specific gun is because of the looks. Look at all of the people on the forum that filled in the letters on their XDs with color. Why do you think they did it? Because they liked the look. Even the OP commented on the snake on the gun, wich I would assume he likes because of the look.

I said it was a nice gun I just don't like the look of no hammer. :confused:
Well....its asinine to say the least. Especially because the internal-hammer J frames are some of the best CC guns ever devised. Need I spell it out any further?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well....its asinine to say the least. Especially because the internal-hammer J frames are some of the best CC guns ever devised. Need I spell it out any further?
You must not have read my original post, or at least skipped over the last sentence, but thanks for your wisdom.

·
Premium Member
127,703 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Love the snub nose and the militia theme, but I can't get into hammerless. They just look off to me. I wish I could get past that though, because it makes sense to not have the hammer.
You must not have read my original post, or at least skipped over the last sentence, but thanks for your wisdom.
It appears that in your last sentence, you say that you cant get past the look of the hammerless design, therefore you skip over a great gun that you admit is a great gun simply because you cant get past the hammerless look. Regardless, you dont matter as this isnt about you.

Anyways, congrats OP on the new pistol, I love the looks, but the design is what makes it great!

I gotta admit, they sure are lookers though!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I love the 642 and mine rides in a Milt Sparks pocket holster. Simple, reliable, and packs a solid punch with +P rounds.

·
Registered
895 Posts
dwood721 said:
I agree with you, I love the gun, and I'm sure it performs well, but I can't get over the hammerless look. Are they caller air lights? Again cool gun I would love to add one to my collection but one with a hammer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it's been 2 months since the original purchase , so let's update a bit .

The 642 is a snappy little devil . But I've gotten decently accurate w it .

I carry it almost every day , mostly mornings around the house , often walking the dog . ( I work at home ).

It's very light , easy to front pocket carry . I intend to get a OWB holster , but haven't decided on one yet . I usually carry cross-draw ( XD9sc , 1911 , Seecamp ) .

I have added some S&W cousins -
Models 10 , 15 , 19 , 25 , 29 , and 66 !
Mostly to admire and shoot a very limited amount . All but the 66 are the pinned models . All are in excellent+ condition .

Yeah , I've gone a little CRAZY for revolvers! :shock:
Also got a Ruger Security Six which is really nice , though not as refined as the S&Ws . It's for shooting and ..................... more shooting .

To wrap it up , I really LOVE the 642 for what it is . An EDC gun that is a pleasure to carry . I also ordered a spring kit and will be putting that in this weekend . As it is the trigger pull is way too much effort .

Regards ,
George

·
Registered
234 Posts
I recently purchased a 642 as well and EDC with a DeSantis Nemesis and it's awesome. I have taken it to the range a few times and it can get to be a pain if you put too many rounds downrange with it, but I love it. I was half tempted (this is gonna make me sound like a hillbilly) to get the model with the rebel flag theme. But I just went with the regular model. Might look into the spring kit, it does have a hell of a pull.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Also got a Ruger Security Six which is really nice , though not as refined as the S&Ws . It's for shooting and ..................... more shooting .
Out of curiosity, did you buy the stainless Security Six that was on georgiapacking.org? If you did, you just beat me to it. How do you like the Security Six? Sorry if I'm jacking your thread.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Out of curiosity, did you buy the stainless Security Six that was on georgiapacking.org? If you did, you just beat me to it. How do you like the Security Six? Sorry if I'm jacking your thread.

no , not from there , although I visit the site.

I picked up mine at a gun show at the 400 Antiques Market . It was sitting on the first table that I saw when I walked in ! This after I had made the decision the day before to find one . Fate ?

It is a stainless 4" in VG condition . My 18 yo daughter loves it ( she has a Sig P239 ) . I like it a lot . All the reports say it is a great gun that can take all the Magnum loads u want to put downrange . Mostly .38sp for me up to now . The stock grips are insanely small . I put spare tires on it ( Pachmyr ) . It is not as smooth a trigger pull as a Smith . But it's VG and accurate . You can still find them and mine is def a keeper . Good luck .

NOTE : to those that don't like the 642 hammerless look - try pulling a hammer model out of your frt pocket . Good luck ................
I bought it for SD ( low to medium threat ) , not looks . It is terrific , for what it's purpose is .

NOTE : to me the point of a 642 trigger job will not be to improve my range experience . It's to improve followup shots . I think if pressed into sevice for an actual SD scenario that the current heavy trigger is going to spray your followups when you're jacked-up "in the moment" . With only 5 u can't afford that . Try doing a double tap ( or triple ) at the range . Convinced me to upgrade .

Cheers ,
George

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
NOTE : to those that don't like the 642 hammerless look - try pulling a hammer model out of your frt pocket . Good luck ................
I bought it for SD ( low to medium threat ) , not looks . It is terrific , for what it's purpose is .
No problem at all with a model 49,or 638... prefer the old bodyguard style any day of the week over the 642

·
Banned
98 Posts
I always preferred to just "bob" off the hammer spur, it makes for a "cleaner" draw from a pocket rig. That was 30 years ago, however, nowadays, the Kahr CM9 makes a lot more sense than any .38 snub.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No problem at all with a model 49,or 638... prefer the old bodyguard style any day of the week over the 642

Since both the 49 and 638 are hammerless , I guess u are just commenting on the style . While I don't love the look of the 642 , it serves it's purpose , and sometimes that's all that is needed from a weapon .

That said , I really like the older Model 40 in stainless . It has the safety in the backstrap , called the "lemonsqueezer" . Reckon I'll pickup one someday ...........

Regards ,
George

·
Banned
98 Posts
It's better to be able to cock the hammer, in case you need a careful shot. I used to fill in a bit of Tig Weld material, then serrate the rear of the bobbed hammer with a checkering file. By "starting" the hammer rearward with a short pull on the trigger, it was then easy to thumb cock it the rest of the way. As I said, tho, the Cm9 Kahr is a much better choice for many reasons, than any revolver. It lies much flatter in your pocket, holds 7, hits harder with each shot, is faster for repeat hits, reloads 3x faster, its spare ammo "carries" much more easily for ccw, it's much less fragile or exposed to debris, sweat, or precipitation than any revolver. it can be had with a laser built into it or luminous sights, too. The snubby revolver can't have the luminous sights, without spending $300+ on custom work, that is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts