Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my first squib in the barrel. There is 1, maybe two, as I rapid fired two rounds and I'm not sure if the first one made it out or not. So, now my question is what is the best way to get the rounds out of the barrel? I only have general household tools to work with. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Two squibs back to back what are the odds of that happening? My guess would be there's only one in there, only seen it happen once on a friends gun we used a brass punch and a hammer to get it out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So I have my first squib in the barrel. There is 1, maybe two, as I rapid fired two rounds and I'm not sure if the first one made it out or not. So, now my question is what is the best way to get the rounds out of the barrel? I only have general household tools to work with. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi, same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and posted the same thread, a lot of experts have replied on this, try checking out "can we spot......" safe shootin!

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
couple points to consider:
- if you fired into a squib, most likely the barrel would be visibly damaged, or worse could have banana peeled
- a zero charge squib will most likely NOT cycle the action. Should never rack slide if get a low pop sound with little or no recoil.

you mentioned you were rapid firing - so questions: Did you get a stop and then rack the slide? Was that followed by another stop needing another rack that you did not do before observing what is in your pic? If you did not rack slide then that means one squib gave you what you see in barrel. Make sense?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Try a wooden dowel and a hammer. The barrel is much stronger than wood, you will not damage it. You will also need to rig up something for the barrel to stand up on where the bullet can fall out, a couple pieces of hard wood spaced to support the sides of the barrel and leave clearance for the bullet between them should suffice.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
To remove a squib all you need is a wooden dowel that closely fits your bore diameter, a hammer (something non steel to prevent barrel damage), and a vise to clamp it. Pound away.

Check for barrel expansion before you use it for live fire. A local gunsmith or a LGS with an on site smith should be able to measure this easy enough.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wooden dowel worked. There was just one in the barrel. The brass did not eject when fired. When I racked the slide it came out, but the next round would not enter the barrel all the way due to the squib in the barrel. Which is really good as I would have likely fired and not realized what had happened. I guess it was an undercharged round? I was using reloads that I bought from a guy at my gun club. I guess all those warnings about only trust your own reloads may be correct. I was just looking to save some money. Thanks for the dowel suggestion.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I was using reloads that I bought from a guy at my gun club.
This was my next question. Lesson learned without a catastrophic result.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
That's why I don't trust other peoples reloads, And that is why I use a batch process on a single stage press and check each case visibly.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Wooden dowel worked. There was just one in the barrel. The brass did not eject when fired. When I racked the slide it came out, but the next round would not enter the barrel all the way due to the squib in the barrel. Which is really good as I would have likely fired and not realized what had happened. I guess it was an undercharged round? I was using reloads that I bought from a guy at my gun club. I guess all those warnings about only trust your own reloads may be correct. I was just looking to save some money. Thanks for the dowel suggestion.
Not Maybe correct, absolutely correct. You run the risk of blowing your gun up using someone elses reloads, regardless of their supposed skill @ reloading. JMO, but I would rather not shoot than shoot crap reloaded ammo. I like my guns, my hands & eyes, I have grown fond of them over the years. Buy better ammo, learn to reload or give up shooting if that ammo is your only choice. Eventually, you are going to get a double charge in one of those, almost guaranteed w/ that kind of QC.
BTW, careful using a wooden dowel. I have seen some guys go too small & the wood splinters & then the bullet is really stuck. You must have hardware stores or metal fab shop near you someplace. Get a 1/4" dia x 8" length of brass, aluminum or even steel rod. Keep it in your bag for such events. Always pay attention to the recoil & blast. If it sounds odd @ all, check the bbl out w/ the squib rod or remove the bbl & look down it from the chamber end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts