Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, glad to be here. I'll work on my profile a bit later, but for now I have a question for youz that have been around the polymer-framed pistol scene for awhile... I was looking at some shock buffers tonight and thinking it might be a worthwhile addition. I've used em in my 1911 pistols for years and bought em in packs of 10. The ones I'm seeing for my XDm 40 are a bit more elaborate and selling at about 8 bux apiece. Anybody use them long term and like the results? Like the heading says, this is my first polymer framed, striker-fired pistola so I'm kind of a noob in how these things wear. I chose the XD over a Glock and the rest of the lot because of its' stellar reviews, both professional and "regular guys", and so far I haven't been disapointed, the ugly little f-er (no offense intended, but it ain't exactly a Hi-Power looks-wise) shoots better than I do. I'm starting to come around.
BTW, its an XDm, .40 cal, 4.5" bbl. O, a second question...I'm having a hard time getting the roll pin for the backstrap out, it doesn't seem to want to move and I really don't want to hammer on it. I'm using a tapered drift punch, but maybe you can recommend something better?
Thanks for the forum admins, looking forward to some good conversation here.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome from WV,

I have no experience with shock buffers, but this video shows an XD install and says it has a range test. (I didn't watch the whole thing) :)

At any rate, all I can find in a 2 min Google search for you.

·
Premium Member
127,996 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
man, for a minute there i read
the ugly little f-er (no offense intended, but it ain't exactly a Hi-point looks-wise)
and thought to myself: is this guy trolling? then i realized that i just cant read

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
man, for a minute there i read and thought to myself: is this guy trolling? then i realized that i just cant read
HA, that's kinda funny. A few years ago I was on the hunt for a .40 HiPower and had a gun store clerk tell me that they didn't carry those cheap guns. "Huh?" says I. Then go into the whole John Browning blah blah blah FN blah blah Argentina blah blah and the kid still thought i was looking for a High Point POS. He'd never heard of a HiPower....kids these days...

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Georgia

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey

·
Super Moderator
46,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

·
Premium Member
27,915 Posts
Welcome from Florida!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey everybody, glad to be here. I'll work on my profile a bit later, but for now I have a question for youz that have been around the polymer-framed pistol scene for awhile... I was looking at some shock buffers tonight and thinking it might be a worthwhile addition. I've used em in my 1911 pistols for years and bought em in packs of 10. The ones I'm seeing for my XDm 40 are a bit more elaborate and selling at about 8 bux apiece. Anybody use them long term and like the results? Like the heading says, this is my first polymer framed, striker-fired pistola so I'm kind of a noob in how these things wear. I chose the XD over a Glock and the rest of the lot because of its' stellar reviews, both professional and "regular guys", and so far I haven't been disapointed, the ugly little f-er (no offense intended, but it ain't exactly a Hi-Power looks-wise) shoots better than I do. I'm starting to come around.
BTW, its an XDm, .40 cal, 4.5" bbl. O, a second question...I'm having a hard time getting the roll pin for the backstrap out, it doesn't seem to want to move and I really don't want to hammer on it. I'm using a tapered drift punch, but maybe you can recommend something better?
Thanks for the forum admins, looking forward to some good conversation here.
I hear you about comming around. The 5.25 is quickly becoming a favorite game gun over my SA 9mm 1911.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome from California. As far as the XD being ugly, the more you shoot it, the better you get, the better you get, the better it looks, the better it looks, the more you shoot it and so on. Also they take about 2 min.s to clean. More fun, less tinkering. I have 1911's also. Enjoy. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Set the grip on top of a large roll of tape, take a 3/32 punch and wack on the pin a few times and it will pop right out. Easy peasy

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the welcome, the replies, and the advice. I watched the video on removing the back strap, I just need to get the right-sized punch. Mine's more better for setting finishing nails that amateur gunsmithing. I HAVE noticed how easily this piece field strips for cleaning and, even better, how easily it gets reassembled (no barrel link...nice). I still think this gun is about as pretty as a mountain bike tire, but I'm liking it more and more every day. I think Ima gonna start looking for a subcompact to carry (this one is a full-sized duty piece).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts