Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a bi-tone XD-M .40 (olive & black) I must say I love it. My experience is limited to the M-9 i shoot at work, a few 1911's a few glocks and a few other random pistols. I love the feel of the XD-M, i was able to hold pretty good groups with it and fire off pretty tight groups with my hammered pairs. However im having trouble figuring out what tool to use to exchange the backstraps, as I have small girlish hands...:( haha So if any one can suggest something I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Here is a pic of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
O and can i also ask what people paid for bi-tone XD-Ms? I paid 610$ after taxes and everything, from the research ive done, i found that to be a pretty decent deal.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I recently bought a bi-tone XD-M .40 (olive & black) I must say I love it. My experience is limited to the M-9 i shoot at work, a few 1911's a few glocks and a few other random pistols. I love the feel of the XD-M, i was able to hold pretty good groups with it and fire off pretty tight groups with my hammered pairs. However im having trouble figuring out what tool to use to exchange the backstraps, as I have small girlish hands...:( haha So if any one can suggest something I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Here is a pic of it.

Congrats -- Nice Lookin'XDm. I know there are other post on how to remove the backstraps but the best tool for driving out the pin is a 3/32 roll pin punch. You can use a flat nose punch if you can't locate a roll pin punch. The roll pin punch has a small bump in the middle of the punch to keep it centered in the pin. You do have to strike it pretty hard to break it loose, however once you get the backstrap installed that fits you best you probably won't be removing it again. Good luck!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yea you just need a roll pin punch or regular flat faced punch (this is what I used). It takes a decent amount of force to get it started so don't be shy about it. as far as price I gave ~$590 after taxes for mine :)

nateroach

·
Registered
48 Posts
Beautiful XDM, the punch question has been answered but I’m kind of surprised no one has mentioned the cracked back strap thread yet. If you are going to remove the back strap you should probably read it, here is the link.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/polling-place/91544-crack-new-xdm-frame-backstrap-hole.html

There are a few tips I have come across, I think they may have been in the thread mentioned above but I’ll list them here just in case. Someone posted that heating the grip and back strap with a hair dryer expands the plastic a bit and makes the roll pin slide out a little easier and another posted putting some oil on the pin before putting it back in. Someone else posted that oiling the pin could be dangerous because the oil may could the plastic to swell around the pin and actually make it harder to remove. I have not tried any of these so I can’t speak to whether or not they work but I thought I would mention them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts