Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked this up on Friday. Haven't had a chance to get it out yet.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How risky would it be to take all the wood off and have it re-finished?

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it runs on green gas...

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
its got some nice color. i would not refinish it. the wood may not hold up well with the age and quality.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I wasn't sure how dry it may be inside. We employ a guy who can work wonders with wood stain.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
What year is it?? That looks like an expedient stock in the pic...no sling slot steels. leave it alone, its just as it left the arsenal, except for the importers stamps...looks good to me. In all honesty though, if you do decide to refinish it, put some BLO on it, forget stains and sealers.

·
Registered
725 Posts
If its got a shellac finish, a mixture of 50/50 Boiled Linseed Oil and Mineral Spirits will act like a nice cleaner and will fill in any chipped spots pretty nicely.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I resorted to acetone to get the cosmoline off mine, it was a pain! Pick up some Sweet's 7.62 and get used to swabbing the bore. These guns stay dirty.

By the way- my Mosin used to be hard to cycle when using surplus ammo, the bolt would not want to move after firing. Last trip to the range I fired some Prvi Partizan brass ammo and it worked like a champ. Seemed to group better than surplus too, although it's no tack driver.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Get a surplus sling and plenty of ammo.
I would leave the finish alone too.
Shoot it and enjoy! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I resorted to acetone to get the cosmoline off mine, it was a pain! Pick up some Sweet's 7.62 and get used to swabbing the bore. These guns stay dirty.

By the way- my Mosin used to be hard to cycle when using surplus ammo, the bolt would not want to move after firing. Last trip to the range I fired some Prvi Partizan brass ammo and it worked like a champ. Seemed to group better than surplus too, although it's no tack driver.

Yeah, dirty is an understatement.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts

Polishing the chamber will usually take care of the brass sticking.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I say refinish it. The Ruskies made about 16 million of these rifles, and nearly all have been rearsenaled and counterbored, and chances are you paid under $100 for it. The wood will hold up fine to stripping, and you can apply whatever finish you like. I stained mine, and followed it up with some BLO or tung oil, I can't remeber which one. It turned out pretty nice, much nicer than the horrible shellac.

Before anyone calls me crazy for refinishing some kind of valuable relic, the truth is, a very easy to come by, $79 Mosin-Nagant w/ mixmatched parts, will not be appreciating in value anytime soon. Would I do this to my correct grade Garand? Of course not, it depends on the rifle.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I've got a 91/30 that was in similar condition when I bought it. I decided to refinish mine and am very happy with the results. I ended up staining the stock and rebluing the entire rifle. Here are a couple pictures.

-Derek

Stripped and being prepped for bluing

Stripped stock, ready for sanding

Here is the finished product

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
OK! I'll admit that one looks good and the grain in the wood is very attractive. A+ :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts