Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my 1st IDPA style match tonite. It's described as style since I guess not all of the IDPA rules are followed hard & fast, i.e. we didn't use a concealment garment. Anyways, I feel I shot fairly accurately & I wasn't trying for speed. It was a challenge rather than normal target shooting which I find boring pretty quickly. My XD sub 9 shot great, no malf's. One problem I did have was the magazines weren't always dropping free. At least 2 or 3 times I had to yank the mag out. It wasn't stuck, just maybe a little too much friction? I have to double check myself to make sure I was pushing in the mag release all the way.

Anybody else have this problem?

I started off using the Fobus roto holster I won here (thanks!), but it's too tight for this type of situation. I switched to my CTAC which worked fine. The local indoor range is now having these matches every Tuesday, so I can try to do it as often as I want.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Great! IDPA is a fun and challenging sport that helps yo to hone your skills. Concealment is not a requirement but most clubs use it in their scenerios.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I used to have a problem with my mags dropping free. Especially when I had my 40 mags loaded up with 9mm, but I put a light coating of eezox on the mag bodies and they fall free even when the mags are bulging. Give it a try.

Krackels

·
Registered
125 Posts
We generally make it a rule to shoot from concealment, but as we often get 95 degree+ weather during the summer, we make it optional sometimes. Don't want anyone passing out behind a barricade! :wink:

As for the mag hangups, are you sure that it might not be catching on the heel of your shooting hand? I've recently switched to an XD9SC for IDPA and when I first started practicing my reloads, I found that the heel of my hand was offering some resistance to the mag dropping free. Just something you might want to check.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Practice your reloads. Once you get a technique down that you like, they will fall. You can try to lube the mags (lightly) with something such as Eezox or Armadillo.

I have also seen guys take 00 steel wool to there mags to buff them up. They swear by this, however I have never tried it.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Armor All works well on polymer magazines, if you have a pistol that uses such magazines :) If you put a little on the INSIDE of the grip frame of an XD, might help that pistol as well.

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
Armor All works well on polymer magazines, if you have a pistol that uses such magazines :) If you put a little on the INSIDE of the grip frame of an XD, might help that pistol as well.
Darn, never thought of that. Great tip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts