Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my first handgun today! Can't wait to get my new XD90SC with Hi Cap Mag and XML. Happy Fathers Day to me!

First my reasons...1) want a gun for personal/family protection, 2) love to target practice, and 3) snake killin' (came across a 5 foot rattler last weekend on my newly acquired 96 acres in East GA!). I will spend a lot of time on this property at night doing my favorite pass-time Astromomy. I need a small gun to pack in my camping gear. I was particularly mindfull of safety features as I have a 12 year old son.

I came to my XD9 conclusion after a lot of internet research, recommendations from my local range/dealer, and test firing my top choices. Everywhere I went folks recommended the Glock but I came to a different conclusion.....

Here were my top pics, in order (I came into this with no preference or previous experience)
Springfield XD90SC - nice feel, ease of use, safety features, loaded chamber indicator, cocked striker indicator, accessories
CZ 2075 Rami - very heavy gun, fired very nicely, difficult to pull back rail, good balance and recoil action
Walther P99C - nice grip (best of the bunch), didn't care for the trigger
Glock 26 - seems built well, too small for my hand, top heavy, no loaded chamber indicator or cocked stricker indicator - didn't feel like it had a lot of safety features, highly recommended by the pros
S&W 3913TSW - looked interesting but never held it or fired it.
Walther PPK/S - I still like this gun a lot but wanted a 9 or 40, nice feel, shoots real nice, might be my next gun....big Bond fan....

It all came down to feel and safety features. I'm sure the Glock is a more realiable gun in the long run but for me (entry level) I felt more comfortable with the XD, both in firing and operating. I really got sold when my dealer showed me the hi cap mag and XML (cool especially since I am up during the night and sleep during the day).

I'll post pics, hopefully I'll get my XD Tues/Wed. I'm really looking forward to taking some night shots......

-Chris

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Congratulations..you made a great choice! This gun seems ideal for you, especially with the XML light.

There are 9mm shot shells...mini shotgun shells that I have read are excellent for snakes. Hitting a rattle snake has to be a lot easier than with a standard bullet (I have no personal experience with the shot shells, but the concept seems to make sense). If you go that route, you should have a magazine loaded with standard bullets and another with the shot shells. You should have time to make the switch if you come across a rattler.

As for your assumption that the Glock would be "more reliable in the long run"...

chrishet said:
. I'm sure the Glock is a more realiable gun in the long run
no idea what you base this on. The XD is a newer design with heavier rails and slide. I don't know if one gun would be more reliable than the other...they should both last a lifetime. But if I had to pick one, (it can only be a guess), I'd put my money on the XD .

Take a safety course. Take your son with you and have him take the course with you.. At 12 he's going to be curious. Don't keep him away from the gun. Let him learn to respect it and understand what it is all about. The worst thing you can do is make it a "forbidden fruit". The next worst thing is to let him use it without proper instruction. Since this is your first gun, you are not the right person to give the instruction. Take a course and you will be more competent in an hour than the majority of handgun owners.

Hitting a target comes with practice. But the safety issues need to be learned. Not by trial and error. Competent instruction is the best investment you can make. Far more important than your choice of pistols. Any of them would have been good (not as good as the XD, but good). Safety instruction is invaluable!

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks D! My son and I are both planning on taking the NRA course offered by the range where I purchased the gun. $200 for 2-2hr sessions at the range by an NRA certified instructor. Safety is a big concern. Being knowledgeable on my gun and the 'rules of the road' come first. Since I bought the gun from him he is also going to spend an hour with me when I get the gun reviewing the features, showing me how to clean and care, and of course some range time. I think he said I also get 2 months free use of the range with my purchase.

I actually fired some shot shells this weekend through a Glock 26. You have to get close but I'm sure these will do the job. At 6 feet the shot spread approx 18 inches with pellets approx 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart. The shot had excellent penetration, ripping through an old charcoal bag as a target(which had many thick layers of paper). There wasn't enough recoil to re-cock the Glock but hopefully one or two shot will be all that is needed.

As for the Glock comment, you guys are the experts. I was steered towards the Glock by just about every gun dealer I went to. Seemed like an easy decission to get a Glock but I did my homework and felt a lot more comfortable with the XD, both in handling and safety features. The salesperson thought I made an excellent choice BTW and we looked at a LOT of guns yeasterday.

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Chrishet,
Welcome to shooting. I just bought a XD40 sub myself and love it! A note on the Walther PPK, I have shot a buddies Walther a lot and the thing bites the crap out of my hand. I bought a Bersa .380 Thunder (it's on their website). I am sure many people will clown on me for this BUT, it is a PPK clone, shoots nicer, doesn't bite the hand, nice bevertail, 250.00 instead of 600.00 (I think). This has been a carry gun for me and a lot of the Deputies that I work with and the thing seems to just last and last. Check it out instead of the Walther.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on the PPK.

I got my XD9SC today! Put through 200 rounds. Still getting used to it. All my shots were slightly down and way to the right. Perhaps my stance and grip needs some work.

It is a nice piece. I really like the weight, size, and grip. Packaging was also nicely done. They forgot the hi-cap mag so I was left with a small grip (I'll need to get a Pierce Grip in the interim). My gun dealer was also great, showed me all the features and gave me plenty of rounds to test it out on thier range. No misfires. Several folks came over for a look-see. Everyone thought the light was 'cool'.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
chrishet said:
All my shots were slightly down and way to the right. Perhaps my stance and grip needs some work.
Are you left handed? Unusual for low and right for a right handed new shooter.

Have someone else shoot the gun (someone experienced). Your sights may need to be drifted....no big deal at all. Also, don't shoot from too far away. Get accurate at 15 feet before you go to 20, etc.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi D, yes I am a lefty. Any suggestions to straighten me out? Seems like when I get a stronger grip I shoot straighter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i do the same when im not paying attention to trigger controll, with my sc9 i have to move more of my finger onto the trigger and make sure i dont slap or jerk, im a lefty also.

its a great little gun and has taught me allot about trigger controll and grip.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome to the XD family!! I personaly thing an XD will outlast a Glock but thats just my opinion. the shooting right sounds like a trigger pull problem. have a friend load one round in the XD without you looking and give it to you to shoot. then when you dont expect it have him not load one in it and see what happens when you pull the trigger. if you flinch you need to spend some time working on that.

·
Registered
603 Posts
chrishet, I had the same issues with shooting low and right when I first got the XD (I'm a lefty too). To fix it, I concentrated on trigger pull the whole time. I think I had been affecting my hold on the gun when I was pulling the trigger... so I concentrated on bringing my trigger finger straight back. I put middle of fingertip 'pad' on the trigger, let my last knuckle (closest to trigger) be somewhat loose, and pulled straight back... trying to make sure my finger was all that moved. It helped my shooting a lot! And, as always, think "front sight". Good luck to ya, and enjoy the XD. :)

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
well, it seems all the low and right shooters are lefties (as I suspected and the reason I asked).

Yes, it's trigger control.

Fixed with technique. My advice is take a lesson. For $50, the cost of a few boxes of ammo, you will learn far more than asking questions here. I know a lesson improved my shooting immeasurably.

At least you know if you are shooting low and right and you are left handed, it is VERY unlikely to be the gun. Let a right handed shooter shoot your gun and if they are a better shooter than you, they will get better results. If they have equivalent skills, they will be shooting low and left.

BTW I've had my XD9 SC for about 8 months. I never shot it from a rest until very recently. The gun is so accurate it seems impossible...just a 3 inch barrel and I was getting dead center one inch groups at 30 feet. At 50 feet I put four rounds (out of 6) into one hole (from a wobbly rest). The other two, were within 2 inches of dead center. I posted a picture here somewhere...if I can find it with the search I will add it to this post.

As they say....the gun is more accurate than we are.

Enjoy it and know you made a great choice. Just practice.

Peace,
D.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts