Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the basic firearms instruction course today. Four hours well spent! Went through the requisite "this is a gun....this is called a muzzle" but these are the things that did learn: I was pulling the trigger like I did 30 years ago on my .357. So I discovered the sweet spot on my finger pad and the whole "not taking your finger off the trigger but returning to the neutral position while shooting". I also kept preventing the slide/action from staying open on the last shot because I kept occluding the button/lock with my thumb. Correct hand position cured that! Wrong stance....but thats how they hold their Glocks on the rap video! Will now go and practice, practice, practice. I plan to do another 1:1 with the trainer in a month to make sure that i have not forgotten any of the basics.
I was tense and nervous and at the beginning I felt like I was handling a bag of coral snakes. Over time i became more comfortable but remained cautious.
Two other things: going with a laser. I wear glasses and my night vision is affected; therefore, if I need to defend myself in the middle of the night and i cant get to my glasses...I will use the laser. Hearing protection. Going for electronic because I could not hear the range master's instruction. I cant risk my hearing because i depend on it for my profession.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Very good.
It gets easier with practice, dry-fire at home and more instruction.

I had Lasik surgery at 59 - it's great to wake up with 20/20 vision, or have it at night when you need it. Good idea with the electronic muffs. I wear plugs and muffs.

I'm on the fence with lasers and lights. I would start with some night sights and go from there.
Welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I was tense and nervous and at the beginning I felt like I was handling a bag of coral snakes.

I cant risk my hearing because i depend on it for my profession.
Congrats!

No need to be nervous as long as they are in the bag AND you have your XDS ;) :lol: 8)

I, too depend on my hearing. Not for my profession, just because I like to hear. I wear good quality plugs AND muffs at the range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good.
It gets easier with practice, dry-fire at home and more instruction.

I had Lasik surgery at 59 - it's great to wake up with 20/20 vision, or have it at night when you need it. Good idea with the electronic muffs. I wear plugs and muffs.

I'm on the fence with lasers and lights. I would start with some night sights and go from there.
Welcome.
Thanks. ill look into the night sights and will definitely start to dry practice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts